Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ccschmidt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2011, 08:13 AM
    Why does my dog keep pooping in the house as soon as he comes inside?
    3 weeks ago we got a 6 month old rescue dauchsand/pug mix. When it's time for him to go to the bathroom, or he starts sniffing around, I take him to our designated spot in the back yard to use the bathroom. He is on the leash the entire time. When he starts to pee I say "Do your business" and the when he's done I reward him with a treat and/or affection. Then I wait for him to poop, but often he won't go. He sniffs around and then just stands beside me waiting to go in. After 10 minutes and sometimes as long as 40 minutes I will take him in. Then, within a few minutes of coming inside I will find a mess where he pooped. He always does it in a bedroom where there is carpet. And I can never catch him in the act. I've tried taking him for long walks, or putting him in his crate until he finally does go outside, which can be hours after he eats. I've never punished him or put his face in the mess. I just ignore the behavior, clean it up, and strongly reward him when he does go outside. This just doesn't seem to be getting any better. His foster mom said he wasn't having any accidents, but she was just letting out to go anywhere in the yard every 20 to 30 minutes. Is this because I'm making him go in one place instead of all over the yard? What do I do? Please help!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 30, 2011, 08:18 AM
    I think it's a mix of what he did before you got him, the one spot in the yard, a need to get the bowels moving with walks (that's why he goes AFTER a walk), and the smell of where he went on the carpet. You need to really bleach or cover with something so strong he won't go there again (cheap cologne or ammonia) or close that door.

Dogs also like ritual times for just about everything, so once you know WHEN he poops, take walks then at the same time every day.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2011, 09:02 AM
    If you are just taking him out on leash and standing in the one spot that may be the reason.
    Walking stimulates the gut so a nice walk around the boundary of your yard should entice him to go, then as soon as he begins say your command of "do your business" so he associates the action with the command.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2011, 11:02 AM
    Do you clean the yard? If so, leave it for awhile so that way he knows where he can go.

What do you use to clean up the mess? You might have a scent in your carpet that he is responding to.

Puppies are very interesting, they can seemingly produce poop at the drop of a hat. Maybe tie him to you?

I think you are giving him too much freedom. If he is able to sneak off and poop in a room without you catching him, then he has too much freedom. He should be in sight at all times. If you want to take a break from puppy sitting, then he goes in his crate.

You are doing everything correctly. Just a side note, don't rub his face in his feces.. Dogs don't understand what that means.. But cleaning up without a commotion is exactally what you need to do.
    binkia Posts: 49, Reputation: -2

Jan 1, 2012, 12:22 AM
    Don't kow what could be causing this but next tie he does this give him a telling off.
    Ccschmidt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2012, 03:20 PM
    I've been very careful the last few days to keep all bedroom doors closed, which is where he has pooped before. He hasn't had any messes unless one of my kids forgets to close their bedroom door and he gets in there quickly. He never messes in the
    Livingroom or kitchen which is where I keep him. I'm going to try even more
    Walks. Does 3 a day sound right?
    More? Today I found a spot where he
    Urinated in my sons room when the door got left open. I'm not sure how to train him to give me some kind of signal when he needs to go outside.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2012, 04:00 PM
    Because he is getting out a lot, I wouldn't call him not house trained. If he is doing really good while you are around, then its something else.

3 walks a day is more than enough. How many times does he get outside to go potty? Is that 2-3 times too? If so, then that isn't enough. Puppies have to potty a lot more than adults. You might have to take him out.

And once again.. if he is able to sneak off and potty in a room, than you're giving him too much freedom. Until he is 100%, I don't think I'd let him run loose in my home... Tie him to you, keep him in a crate or keep him behind a baby gate in the kitchen. That is the only way he is going to give you a signal.

You can also train the dog to tell you he needs to go out. Buy a bell and put it next to do the door. The first two weeks, ring the bell every single time you two go outside. After that, put peanut butter on the bell and make him lick it or nudge it with his nose every single time you two go outside... That should re-enforce him to tell you when he needs to go potty. The part where he rings it on his own may take a few weeks to months for him to learn it. So be patient and don't expect him to be doing this over night. It takes a lot of repetition on your end... but it might be an option for your problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 10 year old house trained dog has started pooping in the house. [ 1 Answers ]

Please help my 10 year old dog has started pooping on the landing of my home. Its always in the same place no matter how much I scrub and steam clean he still does it there. Its always outside my bedroom door. He sleeps with my mother down the hall and ever since I moved home after 4 years of...

Dog died and other dog is peeing and pooping inside house now [ 6 Answers ]

We currently lost one of our dogs quite sudden, she was a 11 year sheppard/lab. We also have a yorki/pom/poo who is only 2 1/2 years old. Since our old dog died, our other dog has reverted back to peeing and pooping in the house. When our other dog was alive they went outside together and this...

5 yr old house trained Sharpei pooping inside [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old Shar Pei who has been house trained since he was 6 months old who has started pooping in the house (same place everytime) on a daily basis. He has done it once before when I brought my cat home but that passed. Nothing has changed in or around the home and I can't for the life...

Dog pooping inside [ 1 Answers ]

How do I stop my beagle from pooping in the house?

Dog that won't quit pooping inside [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old border collie cross, which has been house trained for the past three years. In the last six months he has started peeing and pooping in the house. He can be outside all day long and as soon as he comes into the house he immediately runs downstairs and poops. We can take him...

View more questions Search