Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gloria67 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Dec 30, 2011, 10:42 AM
    How do I find out if I have a 401k plan?
    How do I find out if I have a 401k plan?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2011, 11:07 AM
    You should know... you would have had to been an active participant... meaning you sign papers, decide how much you will be putting in... and will have contributed directly from your paycheck automatically on a regular basis.

If you didn't... then you don't have one.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 30, 2011, 11:07 AM
    Do you mean from your current employer or a past employer?
    Do you mean a balance or the ability to contribute?

As you can see your question lacks details that will help us answer you. Please fill in the blanks so we can help.

I can tell you that when you leave a company, they are required to report any retirement benefits due you to the SSA. When you file for Social Security benefits, they will inform you of any corporate benefits due you.
    gloria67 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Dec 30, 2011, 11:09 AM
    Past employers

Dec 30, 2011, 11:21 AM
    Then contact your employers human resource department.
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2011, 12:04 PM
    You should still have known... they send quarterly statements... and I would never forget something like that. Nodoby has a 401K they never knew about. Forgotten about yes. Never knew about? Not a chance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 30, 2011, 01:34 PM
    I have to agree if you ever had one , you would know, you may forgot how to contact them, but you would have paid money into the plan for the years you worked at a company.

So did you ever have a plan you paid into?
    Kellyopalmer Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Jan 10, 2012, 02:04 AM
    Yes , with my past employee
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2012, 04:49 AM
    They would still be sending you quarterly statements. I have one with an employer I haven't been with for 19 years that I get statements from. I haven't rolled it because it has excellent options the one I have now doesn't have.

Jan 10, 2012, 04:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellyopalmer View Post
    Yes , with my past employee
    Since you are not the person who originally asked, did you read the answers given that person? The question was answered, what more did you want to know?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I find out who my 401k plan is with? [ 5 Answers ]

This plan is from a previous employer. I need to locate my plan. I have not gotten help from my employer. I was a teacher for the state of ms. Thank you for your help.

How to find out if there is any money from my deceased husbands 401k plan [ 3 Answers ]

My husband was murdered 2 years ago, He worked for Vista Paints for a few years then he was a Manager for Lowe's in Moreno Valley I know he had a 401K at both places. How do I find out if me or His two children are Intitled to that money?

How do I find out the 401k plan administrator for dexter axle from 1990? [ 3 Answers ]

I've contacted HR at Dexter with no luck. I need to know what the balance in my 401K was in Jan. 1991. I moved the money to a new employer later, but no help there either. Dexter Axle merged with Tomkins in 1991 I believe.

View more questions Search