Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FRANK55 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2011, 12:55 PM
    Connecting a generator to my heating furnace?
    Help!. I am completely confused on why my portable generator will not start my furnace! When I connect the wiring I have power to the furnace but it will not start.
    I have tried everything and could use some help please.
    Here is what I have... a single black and white wire (from the main power supply) that connect to a black and white wire from the furnace. There is also a yellow wire that connects to the white wire from the furnace. This yellow wire goes to the combustion blower... that's it. The power line coming from my generator has a three prong wire. Not sure why there is not a ground wire going that connects any of the wires between the house current and the furnace... just the 3 furnace wires and 2 main power supply wires. Again, when I start the generator, I do have ample power
    At the furnace, it just won't start. Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Frank
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2011, 12:58 PM
    Where is your thermostat drawing power from?

Dec 27, 2011, 12:59 PM
    Problems connecting my furnace to a generator.. HELP
    Help!. I am completely confused on why my portable generator will not start my furnace! When I connect the wiring I have power to the furnace but it will not start.
    I have tried everything and could use some help please.
    Here is what I have... a single black and white wire (from the main power supply) that connect to a black and white wire from the furnace. There is also a yellow wire that connects to the white wire from the furnace. This yellow wire goes to the combustion blower... that's it. The power line coming from my generator has a three prong wire. Not sure why there is not a ground wire going that connects any of the wires between the house current and the furnace... just the 3 furnace wires and 2 main power supply wires. Again, when I start the generator, I do have ample power
    At the furnace, it just won't start. Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Frank
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2011, 01:08 PM
    What type of furnace do you have, gas, using the electric only to do the auto light and the blowers) or a electric furnace?

If all electric, how many watt is it, and have you considered the need for starting watts to get motor turned on.

How large is your generator?

Dec 27, 2011, 01:15 PM
    I have a gas furnace with electric starter (no pilot light)
    The generator rate 3250 watts.

Dec 27, 2011, 01:23 PM
    Where is your thermostat drawing power from furnace with battery back-up

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting Generator to Generator Transformer. [ 0 Answers ]

For connecting 7 MW generator to generator transformer, which is better cable or NSPB ?

Connecting a generator to my home [ 3 Answers ]

My home is wired with a 50 amp transfer switch for a portable generator. I just purchased an 8000 watt generator and was wondering if I can still use that transfer switch. The generator has a 30 amp( 4 prong ) outlet instead of the 50 amp( 4 prong ) outlet. Can I just replace the generator end of...

Connecting a ac generator to the home electrical [ 1 Answers ]

Connecting an ac generator to the home electrical

Connecting furnace to generator directly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been reading your Q&A on connecting generators to household electric to power a furnace. My question is, can I connect my furnace directly to the generator? My thought was to find a way to disconnect the furnace from the house current, and connect it up to the generator via a heavy...

Connecting a generator to my house [ 2 Answers ]

How Can I connect a generator into my house electrical supply?

View more questions Search