Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Moosly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2006, 09:33 PM
    Hampton Bay ceiling fan speed switch
    My daughter's ceilng fan stopped working due to a faulty speed switch. When I opened up the canopy and unplugged the 9 prong coupler I then proceeded to take out the switch. Dumb move on my part. Should have marked wire colors down first. New (and old) switches both have L, 1, 2, & 3 imprinted on the switch. I am working with a black wire (goes to 9 prong plug so I assume goes to L) but I have no idea what goes to 1, 2 or 3 (or if I am even right about the L/black line. 2 wires (yellow and a blue) go to a small box (looks like a breaker of some sort) that has a grey wire to it also (box marked CBB61). The white wire goes to the reverse switch. How do I wire the new switch in (color to number or L)?? Is there a site where I could pull a schematic?? Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2006, 10:05 PM
    Try the contact information in the sticky at the top of the Electrical and lighting forum.
    Moosly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2006, 10:07 AM
    Thank you, I e-mailed manufacturer and they replied L=black, 1=white, 2=blue, 3=red (just in case there are others like me out there)
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 10:56 AM
    I will make note of that color combination.

In the future, see:

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More
    kikijano Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2011, 09:28 PM
    I am not an electrician but I have a home depot or Lowe's ceiling fan. I did L Black 1 gray 2 Brown 3 Purple as someone suggested and it worked fine. Goes from high to low upon pulling the chain 3 times.
    cattiwpus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2011, 03:32 PM
    Simple answer to this. I am an electrician and also made the same mistake. The Difference is in the switch itself. The Hampton bay switch on first energizes all legs. And then removes them one at a time with every pull to slow fan. If you buy a different brand such as harbor breeze (replacement sold at lowes) the switch is designed to power each wire by the "L" wire individually, thus not letting the horton bay motor start, just hum. Go to he depot and by the right switch. Done deal.
    Benosoben Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2013, 02:01 PM
    Good Afternoon,

I am replacing the chain mechanizm that broke, went to Home Depot and bought a 3 wire (Black, Red & Blue) that needs to get connected to a capacitor that has 3 wiress (Purple, Gray and Brown).

Which wires get connected?

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan will not work after replacing 3 speed pull chain switch [ 129 Answers ]

I just recently replaced a 4-wire (3-speed) Ceiling fan switch on my ceiling fan. The chain had broken off inside the switch. After installing the new switch, the fan wouldn't turn At all. I have tried the swithes at all speeds And even went out and purchased another switch thinking the first...

Hamilton Bay Model AC 552 ceiling fan speed switch replacement [ 6 Answers ]

My pull chain broke on my fan speed switch. I replaced the switch with a 3-4 wire switch. I matches the black, brown. Grey and purlpe wire with the same connect number on the new switch that they had on the old switch. I believe this is a three speed fan. The fan now runs but it can not be turned...

Hampton Bay ceiling fan speed problem [ 3 Answers ]

My Hampton Bay ceiling fan (Delano model) was professionally installed and worked as advertised. Last time I turned it on, however, I found it only worked on high speed. The remote will turn it on/off and reverse it. I hear something from the fan (a click) when I push the "slow" button, but it...

Wall Speed control on old ceiling fan install new with pull switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old celing fan purchased in the 80's with a wall mount speed control knob. I purchased a Hampton Bay, Huntinton III 522-306 3 speed control with a pull chain. When installing the unit the fan does not work. I have a white wire, a black wire, a blue wire for the light and a ground...

Ceiling Fan Pull String 3-speed Switch [ 1 Answers ]

What if someone by mistake wrongly connect the load on the switch (L) to one of the other wires (yellow, red, green)? Can this (cross wiring or mixing) cause (cross-wire) damage to the motor? Please help. I need this help urgently.

View more questions Search