Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    indiomary Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 07:03 PM
    Slime in toilet bowl
    I have some orange, slimey substance that grows on the side of the toilet bowl, below the water leve. I clean the toilet and it goes away, but then grows back within a week or so. HELP!
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Oct 5, 2007, 07:12 PM
    Seems like it's normal to me... just routine cleaning...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 6, 2007, 05:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by indiomary
    I have some orange, slimey substance that grows on the side of the toilet bowl, below the water leve. I clean the toilet and it goes away, but then grows back within a week or so. HELP!
    These are minerals and salts left behind by urine. I have the same problem myself. Next time you scrub the bowl pour a quarter gallon of bleach into the bowl and scrub it down good. The bleach will cut the buildup and kill any bacteria that may be present. Good luck, tom
    Charlotte Cream Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Oct 25, 2009, 07:59 AM

Actually, unless I'm urinating on my dishes as they dry in my white plastic dish drainer (which I don't) or on my shower curtain (which I also don't), then I'm not sure your explanation is universally valid. This pinky-orange scum/slime has just recently started to grow places where water accumulates. As a former housecleaner (I cleaned my parents' home from the age of 5 and ran my own cleaning business during my university years), I can 100% vouch for the fact that this pinky-orange scum/slime did not exist in the 1970s, '80s or '90s. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that it's only been around for the past four or five years, at most.

That having been said, no matter how many times you clean it off, it will come back BECAUSE IT GROWS IN WATER. It doesn't usually grow in water outdoors because sunlight kills it. I've tried scouring it off my dish drainer but the pinky-orange stain remains (it's actually the "thing" embedded in the plastic) so there's not much you can do except just throw the dish drainer (or shower curtain) away once the scum becomes overwhelming. Toilets can be scoured clean because of the non-porous surfac, but rest assured --- WHERE THERE'S INDOOR SITTING WATER, THERE'LL BE ORANGE SCUM!

Actually, it would be more accurate to say that the "thing" is in the air, not just in the water. And it also can occur outdoors -- for instance, on tiles above pool water -- but I think that's because the tiles are not exposed to direct sunlight.

Long story short -- it's here, it's everywhere, and it manifests itself in standing water. Elbow grease, bleach and chemicals can temporarily remove it, but like the Terminator -- it'll be baaaack!

A few more interesting questions here might be: Why did this pinky-orange scum/slime just start appearing over the past few years? Where did it come from? And how is it affecting our health?
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 26, 2009, 06:52 AM
    Are you on a pump or city water?

Oct 26, 2009, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Are you on a pump or city water?
    I'm on city water, but I've noticed from my cat's water dish (she drinks only spring water [unless she can get into the toilet]) that the orange scum also grows there unless I thoroughly clean it every few days.

Why do you ask?
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 26, 2009, 04:34 PM
    I was wondering if you were on a well and if the water could have picked up something.
    Now, since the cat doesn't drink tap water and you still see the gunk in her dish I'm beginning to think you may have a "sick house" with something in the air that's causing this. It just doesn't figure any other way. And your thoughts? http://ezinearticles.com/?Do-You-Hav...ome?&id=888182
    Regards, Tom
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 07:16 PM

A red or pink pigmented bacteria known as Serratia marcescens is thought to be the cause of the pink “stuff”.
    Serratia bacteria are common inhabitants of our environment and can be found in many places, including
    Human and animal feces, dust, soil, and in surface waters. The bacteria will grow in any moist location where
    Phosphorous containing materials or fatty substances accumulate. Sources of these substances include soap
    Residues in bathing areas, feces in toilets, soap and food residues in pet water dishes. Many times, the pinkish
    Film appears during and after new construction or remodeling activities. Others have indicated the pink “stuff”
    Occurs during a time of year that their windows are open for the majority of the day.
    These airborne bacteria can come from any number of naturally occurring sources, and the condition can be
    Further aggravated if customers remove the chlorine from their water by way of an activated carbon filter.
    Serratia can also grow in tap water in locations such as toilets in guest bathrooms where the water is left
    Standing long enough for the chlorine residual disinfectant to dissipate. Serratia will not survive in chlorinated
    Drinking water.
    Serratia marsescens is not known to cause any waterborne diseases. Members of the Serratia genus were
    Once known as harmless organisms that produced a characteristic red pigment. More recently, Serratia
    Marcescens has been found to be pathogenic to some people, having been identified as a cause of urinary tract
    Infections, wound infections, and pneumonia in hospital environments.
    Once established, the organism usually cannot be eliminated entirely. However, periodic and thorough cleaning
    Of the surfaces where the pink slime occurs, followed by disinfection with chlorine bleach appear to be the best
    Way to control it.
    To clean pet water dishes, bathroom and kitchen surfaces
    • Scrub the surfaces where phosphorous and fatty substances or the bacteria accumulate with a brush
    And a household cleanser.
    • Then disinfect the surfaces where the slime has formed with a strong chlorine bleach solution.
    • Leave the disinfectant solution on the affected surface(s) for 10-20 minutes before thoroughly rinsing
    Away with clean water.
    • Use care with abrasives to avoid scratching the fixtures, which will make them even more susceptible to
    The bacteria.
    To control pink “stuff” in toilets
    • Clean the bowl thoroughly and spray chlorine bleach into the bowl and under the bowl rim.
    • Also add ¼ cup of bleach to the toilet tank.
    • Let the bleach stand for 15-20 minutes.
    • After 15-20 minutes, flush the toilet a couple of times to rinse the disinfectant out of the tank and the
    Bowl.
    • The bleach should not be left in the toilet tank for prolonged periods; it will damage the rubber valves
    And seals inside.
    • Whenever a pink film starts to reappear, repeat the cleaning and disinfection process.
    Cleaning and flushing with chlorine will not necessarily eliminate the problem, but will help to control these
    Bacteria. Keep bathtubs and sinks wiped down and dry to avoid this problem. Using a cleaning solution that
    Contains chlorine will help curtail the onset of the bacteria.

Oct 27, 2009, 08:58 AM
    Very detailed answer, but I'm wondering why this appears to be only a recent phenomenon.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 11:34 AM

I don't know why this has only shown up in recent years. But it sounds like something in a horror movie back in the fifties.

If you do find out why it is showing up now and not earlier please let us know.
    gillimpi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2011, 10:04 PM
    I've seen pink colouration in snow several times over many years, probably from the same bacterium.
    I have only noticed it in recent years inside my home, only during winter, at which time my windows are shut and despite the bathroom fan being on all the time, air circulation is poorer than in summer. I notice that my shower stays wet longer at this time of year. I get this around all the surfaces described by others.
    Don't go using bleach if you have a septic tank, unless you're prepared to keep adding bacteria and having to have it serviced. I had a septic field for 15 years without any trouble because I didn't put any strong or caustic cleansers into it (throw it on the lawn); within 6 months of selling the buyer needed to know where the tank was to get it pumped out because of not following this guideline.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 6, 2011, 06:49 AM
    Hi gillimpi and welcome to the Plumbing pageat at AskMeHelpDesk.com. You piggybacked on an a 4 year old dead thread. In the future, before you post, look in the upper left hand corner for the date.
    Don't go using bleach if you have a septic tank
    Do you really think that the small amount of bleach used in your shower drain will affect a 100 gallon septic tank one way or the other. Although you are correct. Be nice to your septic system and your septic system will be nice to you. Thanks for your input. It's much appricated. Please feel free to post any time. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet bowl [ 1 Answers ]

My toilet bowl is not filling up and the water is on? The water is working in the bathroom but not the toilet, please help.

1 Toilet Bowl Won't Fill Enough [ 9 Answers ]

I've read through most of the questions but don't see this exact question. One of the toilets in the house doesn't fill enough - the bowl only fills about 1/2 of what it should. The other toilet is fine. I mention the other toilet because 'as the crow flies' they are in proximity. I think they...

Toilet bowl [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get a cell phone out of my toilet that was accidentally flushed? I can feel it wedged in the very back of the bowl. I have used a wire coat hanger and even tried hitting it with a hammer, but it won't budge. Please help me!

Toilet Bowl Level [ 1 Answers ]

This is a problem with all of the toilets in my house. They all have low bowl levels, the other night I heard a siphoning sound coming from the main drain line and the water was sloshing in the bowls. Is it a vent problem, what can I do before calling in the professionals. Thanks, Tom

Toilet bowl empties itself [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Just discovered your site and here's my puzzle to start! Been in this house 6 months. its @20-25 yrs old on city sewer system, 3 bathrooms (1 in the basement). This problem started after a weekend with lots of family here. The master bathroom toilet bowl empties the water within @5 minutes of...

View more questions Search