Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kctrump Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Hammering pipes
    I'm living in a house 3.5 years old. Over the last 2 months I've starting having a problem with one bathroom sink. It's located on the main floor. When using the hot water faucet at about 1/2 open, the pipes hammer. The pipes are hammering in the bathroom itself. It does not occur on the cold water side... only the hot. Does anyone have an idea what the problem is? I'll be attempting to fix this problem on the weekend. I hope I do not have to replace the whole faucet. If you have any ideas on how to approach this problem... I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks,
    =Warren
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 21, 2007, 04:31 PM
    Hey Warren,

Do the pipes bang when you turn off a hot water faucet? Is it a bang or a tapping or perhaps a knocking sound or do the pipes just vibrate ? What type of faucet? One handle or two knobs,(my bet's on two knobs). Regardes, Tom
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2007, 05:54 PM
    I am thinking there is a loose bibb washer on the faucet at the bottom of the stem. Tightening the screw helps but I take the screw out and slightly pinch the threads with pliers and then reinstall it. While you there you may as well replace the bibb washer on both hot and cold.
    kctrump Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 01:33 PM
    New findings...

2 faucet handles... one hot... one cold
    The problem occurs when I turn the hot side on. It only makes the noise when turning it on half way or greater.

Last night I was going to shut off the valve on the hot side... so the kids wouldn't use that side and create the noise. When I took a closer look... I saw the valve was partially shut. When I opened it all the way up. No noise. I looked at the cold valve and it is partially shut also. Shouldn't those always be all the way open?

I have no hammering anymore. I'm not sure if somebody partially closed the valves or they were always like that and a washer is creating the problem. But at wide open I have not problems.

I'm assuming all will be fine. Am I correct?

Thanks,
    Warren
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Yea, you are fine. That bibb washer was flutterring
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 22, 2007, 01:39 PM
    We call that "seat chatter" in my area, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Eastman and Brass Tech angle stops are usually my first suspects when chasing down hammering problems.

We went to full port quarter turn Aqua-Flow angle stops about 5 or 6 years ago and have yet to receive a hammering complaint since.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frozen pipes - detecting burst pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Cold side of the kitchen faucet was frozen this a.m. Trickle returned this evening, followed by an immediate drop in hot faucet pressure - then some brownish water - the brownish water lasted 20 seconds - but the pressure is still low 1/3 pressure now and can get both some hot and some cold Have...

Pipe Hammering [ 2 Answers ]

I have a loop of 3/4 and 1/2" copper pipe that makes a slight hammering sound while being used and sometimes when unused but perhaps the hot water heater fires up and pipes hammer. It is not a real loud hammer and it does not bother me but my only concern is, could this slight hammering cause any...

Water hammering [ 1 Answers ]

I recently closed the supply lines to both my commodes for approximately two weeks to avert any water accident while I was away. Now every time they are flushed there is a loud machine gun like banging both at the area of the commodes and in the kitchen sink/dishwasher area. I open the fawcets in...

Air in kitchen sink line - occasional hammering [ 3 Answers ]

I am helping someone with this problem and have only had it described to me, along with a layout of the house. A one story, concrete slab house, five years old is experiencing the problem. Infrequently when the kitchen faucet is turned on there is air discharge and hammering from both the cold...

Hammering in pipes [ 2 Answers ]

In order to clear a sink drain clog in an upstairs bathroom this weekend, I needed to remove the shutoff valves to get clearance to remove the P trap. This entailed turning off valves in the basement for the lines that supplied the upstairs bathroom. Everything went back together again and, after...

View more questions Search