Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fuggy_6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2011, 04:27 PM
    Drain height for washing machine
    What is normal height to mount supply lines and drain line for washing machine?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2011, 04:41 PM
    On average they run 36-40" off the floor or at least equal to the top of the washer. One fairly recent issue is the placement of a washer on a platform. Unfortunately, if the drain is too low, it will siphon off from the washer and the water keeps trying to fill the washer again, particularly if you run a high water level in the washer. This is more true with a top load rather than a front load. Even on a pedestal, 36-40" with a front load is probably OK.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 27, 2011, 04:54 PM
    We run the water at 40" off the floor and the stand pipe at least 36" from the trap. Regards, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 27, 2011, 05:56 PM
    Whatever height you choose for the water (40" sounds perfect) just be sure to install a single lever washing machine valve so that it is readily accessible and can be easily shut off at the end of each wash.

If you don't think the valve will be shut after each use consider installing the new auto. Shutoff washing machine valve (no electric needed)... click on link:

http://www.keeneymfg.com/catalogs/Ke...eet-LIT100.pdf

If this is to be on a 2nd floor they make automatic shutoff valves (need electricity) such as the floodstop valve seen below.

Finally, be sure to use only SS braided hoses for your washing machine hoses. These are NO-BURST and do save property damage when the rubber hose underneath fails over time, OK?

Let us know if you care to discuss more, OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Nov 27, 2011, 06:53 PM
    Check out Mark's website for drain and water valve combination, it is a good way to go. There is also another product called a Guy Grey Washing Machine Box made by Oatey which is also a very good alternative and gives you the drain and single handle washing valve all in one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine Standpipe Height [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a washing machine in the basement and the sewage drain pipe is at a height of 5 feet off the floor. From everything I have read, the standpipe should be above the height of the washer tub and it should be 2" in diameter. Could I install the washer without having a external pump...

What is the standpipe height for under counter washing machine [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a correct height to keep from over flowing the washer drain pipe on an under counter installation. I am having problems with it periodically overflowing onto the floor! It is in a basement location if that makes a difference!

Is there a building code that mandates the height of a washing machine hot/cold feed? [ 5 Answers ]

I am looking to add a countertop over my washer and dryer - however the current hot/cold water feed and drain for the washing machine would be directly in the way of the counter (~41 inches). Is there a code that mandates the height of those lines or can I drop them down 12 inches or so to get...

Vent for Washing Machine Drain Attached to Existing Drain Line [ 0 Answers ]

"Current setup for a washing machine has the discharge hose "hooked" into a laundry tub. Tennants would like something more "permanent." The laundry tub has a normal trap followed by a horizontal run of about 2 feet (2" threaded pipe) then "T's" into a vertical drain/vent. The vent line goes...

Washing Machine Drain- How high can machine lift H2O [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... Thinking about moving the washer down in the basement but the main sewer drain leaving the house is about 2' off the floor. There is currently a sewer lift installed for downstairs toilet that complicated cutting into the existing drain for new Y. Without getting to detailed, there is an...

View more questions Search