Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kelleyboo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2010, 07:39 PM
    Georgia Child Abandonment Laws
    My childerns father has not seen or spoke with them in over 2 years.I have a court order for child support and he is as of last week 17,000 behind,plus interest.I was told that I could recive a child abanbonment warrant on him... not sure what the requirements on that are.It sure seems to me that is abandonment! HELP!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 26, 2010, 07:44 PM

In Georgia "child abandonment" is merely not paying his child support you could have done that after her was two months behind. It has nothing to do with whether he visits the children or not.

You will need to contract the state child support enforcement, and the state actually has to decide if they will issue a warrnant or not.

How many times in the last two years have you taken him back to court for non payment
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 06:46 AM

Did you read this - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...st-364259.html
    Taketa32 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2010, 09:06 AM
    My brother is children mother is threating to take him to court for child abandonment. This would be the second time in her doing so. The 1st time she did it a week when he was fresh out of jail. But once going to court they told him that he could not see the judge at all. He could not let the judge know his situation the fact that he has 3 other kids which 1 is in his custody and that he receive adult child disability for his heart condition and is not allow to work. And another thing she also knew the judge to which his condition didn't really matter he still worked in her favors. But they ordered him to pay $350 a month or go to jail. He manage make those payments all the way up until now which its really getting hard for him because he has to find light work because he can't work. He still has to offered to pay her something just isn't able to pay the whole amount. Well now is threatening to take him back to court for child abandonment again. She refuses to take the money that he has
    Taketa32 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2010, 09:08 AM
    [QUOTE=Taketa32;2501160]My brother is children mother is threating to take him to court for child abandonment. This would be the second time in her doing so. The 1st time she did it a week when he was fresh out of jail. But once going to court they told him that he could not see the judge at all. He could not let the judge know his situation the fact that he has 3 other kids which 1 is in his custody and that he receive adult child disability for his heart condition and is not allow to work. And another thing she also knew the judge to which his condition didn't really matter he still worked in her favors. But they ordered him to pay $350 a month or go to jail. He manage make those payments all the way up until now which its really getting hard for him because he has to find light work because he can't work. He still has to offered to pay her something just isn't able to pay the whole amount. Well now is threatening to take him back to court for child abandonment again. She refuses to take the money that he has to give her and not once has she let him see or keep his kids that he paying for. He is worried that is going to jail when he is doing what he can to take care of his kids, and she is only doing this out of spit. Please help with a little advise.
    AprilMax Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2011, 10:22 PM
    Now Kellyboo - Your situation obviously warrants abandonment... as long as you are not refusing him to let him speak to his child or have anything to do with him, then yes - he's a piece of crap and I would go to your county's magistrate and ask for an order or abandonment to have his rights relinquished - 2 years is understandable - the comment about doing something like that after 2 silly months of not paying support - to me, was ridiculous and set me off the edge... its advice like that that puts men in more legal trouble and financial distress because now they have to defend their rights over something that shouldn't have even been contested.

FR_Chuck: I don't know who gave you wrong information but abandonment is not merely the inability or unwillingly paying child support for at least 2 months. If you willingly refuse to pay for years - then yes, you are abandoning your child. If they are visiting their children and taking them for ANY amount of time they are in no way abandoning their children - point blank. It has EVERYTHING to do with the contact of his children.

There are several different circumstances that have to come into play before you consider a child "abandoned" - If you lose your job and unable to pay the current child support, and have substantial proof - they cannot relinquish your parental rights over MONEY - that's ridiculous. You are willing to give your child a lifelong mental issue, feeling of being unloved, and stress issues over freaking MONEY? The things that greedy and irrational women do and say in order to screw someone over to me is just as inexcusable as not being able to pay - NO ONE comes down hard on them when they are spitting out babies by more than one man, has NO job, and lives off assistance and because the child merely lives with them - they are contributing?? Why can't the father do the same? If the mother chooses to sit on her lazy butt for 6 months and collect assistance from the state is OK because she has custodial custody, but a non-custodial father who can't pay for 2 months is abandoning his children. Who is any woman to take a PARENTAL right away from someone who loves and cares about their children more than you can imagine? Over money? That's what's wrong with women these days - and yes I AM a woman, but for a couple hundred dollars a month I would NEVER take my husbands rights away from children he loves - no matter the financial situation!! Just because you gave birth to the kid doesn't give you any more rights than the person that helped you create it.

There are fathers who are behind in child support and the condition that the economy is in they are unable to even feed themselves, but call their children and try to spend time with them as much as possible - abandonment is not just for the sake of financial support - kids aren't pets. They need love and affection, medical treatment, and the attention they require from BOTH parents... regardless of money - Women like that make it harder for men to have relationships with their children because of this reason - isn't that alienation against the non custodial parent? - which is just as much of a contempt of order issue as child support.

JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2011, 07:05 AM
    AprilMax - please check the dates before you post. This thread is long dead and there are more recent threads on the same subject.

It appears you are a father who does not have custody - ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Abandonment in Georgia [ 8 Answers ]

What papers can a layman file, and what county do you file in? The father has not paid child support for 60+ days. He lives in Georgia, but in a differen t county than where the mother and child live.

Child abandonment laws in Georgia [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I are separated. I moved back to TN to get a job, a place to live and start over. I told my husband upon leaving that I was coming back in 6 weeks to get the kids. That would give me the time to get myself together and be in a place to take care of them. I did not abandon them, I...

Child Abandonment Laws in Georgia.. [ 6 Answers ]

Fairy Tale Beginning... I moved in with a family to be their nanny. Fell in love with the boy that I take care of. Then fell in love with his father. But his father still isn't divorced... My boyfriend's wife won't sign the divorce papers because she doesn't understand that there can not...

Child abandonment laws in Georgia [ 5 Answers ]

I have a quick question. My husband and I separated last year. Due to him acting like a clown and becoming violent he was arrested and evicted by the law. When we went to court, our attorneys (at the time) thought it'd be in his best interest to agree to a "stay away" agreement instead of a...

My boyfriend was arrest for child abandonment in Georgia [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend was arrested in 2008 for child abandonment in Douglas County. However he stopped paying in January because she wanted an outlandish amount and put himself on child support on February 8, 2008. He was not legitimized yet, until he took a paternity test in February 2008 either. He has a...

View more questions Search