Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jtbendel Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2011, 10:03 PM
    Roommate decided not to move in now wants her full rent back at the end of the month
    My current roommate and I found a third roommate to pay a portion of the rent and utilities. We did not put her on the lease so if things did not work out we could ask her to leave. We didn't even get to sign a written agreement. We had a verbal agreement however that she was to pay four hundred a month plus split utilities. We made a deal that she could pay three fifty for her first, month November. At the last minute she decided not to move in, a week before December. Now she's asking for her money back in full or she will take us to court. Does she have a case?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 22, 2011, 04:32 AM
    Nope, You had a verbal agreement enforced by the fact that she paid you money. Which she can't deny because that's what she is suing for. So you were entitled to sufficient notice that she was changing her mind. Since you have to start finding a new roommate you can keep that money.

However, if you do find a replacement then you should refund her a pro-rated portion that is replaced by the new roomie.

Nov 22, 2011, 05:46 AM
    So basically we should refund her a prorate worth one week out of the three fifty she paid. Thank you that was very helpful.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2011, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbendel View Post
    So basically we should refund her a prorate worth one week out of the three fifty she paid. Thank you that was very helpful.
    Hello Jt:

Read everything Scott said.. She's entitled to a proportionate refund IF, and only IF, you find a replacement during the period when SHE would have been your tenant.

excon

Nov 22, 2011, 06:08 AM
    Well we are trying to find someone before December first but I did the math and if moving a new person in on December first will save us money then that's what we will do. Thank you both.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 22, 2011, 06:15 AM
    Yes, you are not allowed to double dip. You can't collect rent from two different people for the same space. So WHEN you get a new tenant, you can refund a pro-rated portion of what she paid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hi... My roommate was on my computer and decided to move a huge folder (~6000 images) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... my roommate was on my computer and decided to move a huge folder (~6000 images) from where it was on C:\ drive to the desktop. While the file was being moved, my computer froze and she apparently cancelled the move. Now when I open the original folder its empty and the new file is all...

Month to month lease Do I still have to pay the full month if I move out in 15 days [ 1 Answers ]

I am on month to month lease now. I want to tell them I want to move on the 15 of October. Am I required to pay a full month rent if I don't be there?

I paid rent last August but couldn't move in till the end of the month? [ 1 Answers ]

I moved in to campus affiliated housing at the end of August 09, but was required to pay rent for the whole month. My guarantor told me that the leasing office said the rent from last August would roll over to this August. Is that true? Is this what usually happens? I need to know because I'm...

Landlord excepted prorated check cashed it and decided to charge full month rent [ 2 Answers ]

We had let our land lords know that we would be able to afford full month rent and wrote a check for a prorated amount they excepted the check and cashed it the next day. The following day after we were already moved out she called and told us she would still be charging us for the full month. Can...

Paid partial rent for first month, no lease, decided not to move in. [ 2 Answers ]

I gave landlord half a months rent in advance believing that I was going to move in. it was not intended to be a holding deposit. The landlord was a friend of a friend and the apartment had been empty for over a year. I did not know that the landlord had been actively trying to rent out the...

View more questions Search