Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sstalberger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 03:59 PM
    1099-MISC and did not do work for and do not own a business
    I recievd a form 1099 MISC from a Northern Natural Gas company. They are putting pipelines in around our property and they needed to purchase the rights to use our very small piece of land they would be crossing. The amount was for $627 and they put the income in Box 7. When I use Turbo Tax it says to file as if I am a business. I did not do any work for anyone and I do not own a business. How do I file this on my taxes? Should I have received a 1099MISC or something different?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2007, 04:16 PM
    No, this is a similar thing as being in your own business, since you are now "renting" this land or the right to use.

If you are on turbo tax, there should be an area that asks if you received a 1099 mis, or had rental property

Many people receive these for commercial rental property, I recive them for all of my commecial rentals.

So try looking under rental property receipts for a place to file.

I don't use turbo tax, but this is what you should have gotten for real esate rental income
    sstalberger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Okay. Does the real estate rental income get taxed differently than a 1099misc for business? I entered the 1099 as a business and it dropped my refund by over $200 dollars for the $627 I received. I could not understand the huge difference.
    Expert

Feb 21, 2007, 07:28 PM
    I don't know how turbo tax worked, I use another system, but it is really not a separate business, just a individual with rental income, there should be a area for rental income not business income.
    Expert

Feb 21, 2007, 07:29 PM
    There are some better tax experts on here, ( I just have a lot of income from rentals, )
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2007, 11:25 PM
    For only $627, put it on Line #21 of Form 1040 (Other Income).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-misc [ 3 Answers ]

Last year I was a full time student and also during that time I worked as a T.A and consequently have the W-2 with that income and also as an independent contractor (I have the 1099 MISC which corresponds to that income). As I understand it even though my total gross income is below the minimum...

1099-Misc for non business related expense [ 9 Answers ]

:mad: This year I paid a contractor to build a deck for me. Long story short... he didn't I sued, I won, he lost, he left town. So, I have a $5000 judgment which is worthless but I want to get him. I would like to send him a 1099-Misc for the $3100 I paid him, wait a year, contact the IRS and...

1099 Misc [ 1 Answers ]

I am a resident of India currently on H1 B I received a 1099 misc for 700$ reported in box 7 for services provided in a health study from my employer. How should I report this? Can I use 1040 NR? Thanks for your help VBK

1099 Misc not sure? [ 1 Answers ]

I received a 1099 Misc. for money earned in assisting someone else in her clothing trunk shows in 2005. Not sure how to complete sch c for business name and if I can deduct mileage, meals, etc. that I paid for during these times. Also assist in clothes deliveries from these shows so have some...

View more questions Search