Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deedee216 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2011, 07:45 AM
    Converting from 100 to 200 amps
    I am looking to purchase an older home that currently has 100 amps running to it, an inspector advised me to have it upped to 200. What can I look for in cost and work effort?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 18, 2011, 07:53 AM
    Unless you are a licenced electrician you won't be doing this as a DIY project. Call 3 elecricians in the area and get their bids.
    jamesdavino Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2011, 08:17 AM
    DeeDee, where do you live?
    deedee216 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2011, 08:23 AM
    South Carolina

Nov 18, 2011, 09:06 AM
    I live in Va. DeeDee and usually for an upgrade to 200amps. I've heard of it getting as high as $5000.. To me that is a tremendous rip off, but they are out there.I'm not saying they'll do a lousy job,but for $5G's,I want the man's baby... There's a lot of work involved no doubt... Don't pay more than $2000 max... and get free estimates... call your city's chamber of commerce to see if there are any complaint's for whoever you choose to do the work.. Good luck Dee
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 18, 2011, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdavino View Post
    ...There's a lot of work involved no doubt...Don't pay more than $2000 max...
    This is a pretty bold statement. :rolleyes:
    What do you base this on?

In my area $2100-$2200 is a going rate.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2011, 01:44 PM
    I found this statement bold, to put it lightly:

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdavino View Post
    I've heard of it getting as high as $5000..To me that is a tremendous rip off, but they are out there.
    Each job, and location, is unique. Hearing about one price that is high without knowing the specifics is jumping to conclusions.

Getting three bids is the right advice.

Nov 18, 2011, 02:58 PM
    I can see where I may have insulted some of my electrical brethren which I can assure you was not my intention. I retired in 08 and if we charged someone 1500 smacks for a 200amp upgrade there was quite a bit of extra's. I admit I've been out of it for a few, but I still do side work and I still find it hard to charge someone that much,especially in these times... I'm not knocking anyone, but if times have changed that much in 3 years, it's sad.. I have more side work than I want, maybe that's why... It is what it is... My apologies to all who were insulted. The old saying," you pay for what we know, not what we do " I believe it, but sometimes it goes a little too far
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 18, 2011, 04:21 PM
    Hey James, I'm in the Tidewater Area of Virginia, which part are you in?

Dee Dee: To begin with, the NEC minimum requirement amperage for residential homes is 100 Amps.

Are you planning on adding any real heavy duty equipment or maybe changing out all of your 15 amp receptacles in favor of 20 amps?

Just because the inspector tell you should upgrade is ludicrous.

A smarter thing to do would be to settle in and live in the home and see if you have the need to request a service upgrade.

As to what's involved, Starting with your home, the main panelboard would have to be replaced with a panelboard that is listed for 200 Amps.

Possibly the feeder cables from the meter to the main panel will have to changed because they would be to small to carry 200 amps.

You have to contact the Utility company to see if they offer such an upgrade. This is a very common upgrade so my guess is that they will comply with your wishes.

As you move to the outside connections from the meter to the transformer, the real ugliness starts.

To begin with the meter base will more than likely need to be replaced with a 200 amp meter base.

Also, if you have underground utilities you may need to trench your yard to dig up a smaller cable and replace it with a cable listed for 200 amps. The same is true for overhead services. In our area, we are lucky because the utility here pre-wired for 200 amp. You may be lucky also, check with the utility.

You need permits, inspections and scheduling from your utility. Be prepared to be without power for extended hours.

You have two sets of time consuming issues. The Remove and Replace of the Main Panel Board and the Meter Base (Licensed electrician).

Second the time it takes the utility to dig the yard or hang the new cable if it is needed.

None of this work is done with power on. Normally, the power is cut to your home from the transformer just to do the meter base. It would be proper to do the panelboard at the same time.

Since you are going on just the inspectors suggestion, I suggest you save any dollar amount and send me and TK one brand spanking new Mercedes Benz. Again I caution you, the inspector really has no business telling you you should upgrade, unless he knows in advance and has done a load calculation based upon what you will need for your home to operate properly.

:)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2011, 05:07 AM
    Dee, besides, assuming if the home does need a 200 amp service, the buyer can/should negotiate that the seller pay for any repairs or required upgrades.

If this was a home inspector, you need to confirm that his advice is correct. You will need to have a qualified electrician perform service rating load calculations.

If this is a home 2000 square foot or larger, and/or has some major electric appliances, such as a hot tub, large AC units, sauna, electric heat, etc. it may very well need a 200 amp service.

Considering the size of new homes nowadays, a 200 amp service is usually the minimum size needed.

We cannot speculate on what the cost will be. Each area of the country has unique prevailing rates and material costs. Each contractor has unique labor rates.

A small two man shop will be cheaper that a larger company with higher overhead costs.

A small shop will not have all the tools and equipment on hand that a large firm would have.

First confirm the service needs to be upgraded, negotiate with the buyer, and as a last resort get bids from at least 3 contractors.

And James, neither Stan nor I are insulted in anyway. We are trying to get the best advice to questions. Not opinions.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 19, 2011, 07:50 AM
    Personally I think this is just a case of a home inspector calling out a 100A service as a "defect". This is a typical bargaining tactic that HI's use to get the buyer a lower price.
    I'd bet 90% of the time this is only reason for this "recommended upgrade".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

50 amps vs 100 amps? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently purchased a new mobile home in Ventura, CA. The home was a "lot model" that was originally delivered from the manufacture and set up on a site, used as a model and then taken down and delivered to where I am now. The Manufacture says that it was built to run on 100 amps - it is 60...

Pulling 100 amps of main 200 amp service [ 9 Answers ]

I'm pulling 100 amps off my main house 200 amp service to my new Garage. It is an indoor run of 70 feet. What size wire do I need? Copper or Aluminum? How many conductors? If I run it in the joist space do I need to case it? Thanks Ron

Cost to upgrade from 100 amps to 200 amps and ground [ 4 Answers ]

StanFortyMan has made a lot of sense about my needs in a home with a 100 AMP Service.. I would like to upgrade to 200 amps.. with some ground sockets(or whatever this is called) and put in more sockets... The house is 1300 square feet... does anyone have a guestimate of costs?? Thanks, Annie

100 household amps vs 200 amps [ 6 Answers ]

I am living in an "old" house with 100 amps coming in. I am in the process of doing reconstruction and would like to know if I run all new wires and outlets and get rid of dusty broken wires and connection boxes left open to rot---Can I use the same fuses and wiring for 100 as for 200 or do I...

Changing from 100 amps to 200 amps [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas water heater (40 gallon tank). I want to change it to an electric tankless water heater. I have read that I need 200 amps in the house to do this, but currently I have only 100 amps. The outside meter is located only about 25 feet away, but the lines are underground. What is...

View more questions Search