Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alanood Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2011, 05:46 PM
    Which 10 animals are closest to humans by percentage of DNA we share?
    Which 10 animals are closest to humans by percentage of DNA we share?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 17, 2011, 05:55 PM
    Do you need percentage or just a list?
    Alanood Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2011, 05:59 PM
    A percentage would be preferable, however if you have a list id like to know how the list plays out in relation to the animals being closest to human

Thank you
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 18, 2011, 09:12 AM
    This is a deceptively simple question. First - how to even measure percentage of shared DNA is problematic, especially when there are different numbers of chromosomes between species. I think the consensus is that chimps are closest to humans at around 98% and Gorillas are second at around 96%. After that it gets murky. Orangutans are another species of great ape so you would think they would be close to humans but they originate from Borneo (not Africa) and have significantly fewer identical genes with humans. This is one of the arguments for the "out of Africa" theory of human development. But I am not aware of any list that actually shows the ten "closest" animals in terms of matching DNA.

Other data points:

Mouse 92%
    Fruit fly 44%
    Yeast 26%
    jem02081 Posts: 65, Reputation: 19

Nov 29, 2011, 09:34 PM
    I can give you our 6 closest relatives. They are the other (non-human) members of the Family Hominidae includes 6 species
    • Bornean orangutan, Pongo pygmaeus
    • Sumatran orangutan, Pongo abelii
    • Western gorilla, Gorilla gorilla
    • Eastern gorilla, Gorilla beringei
    • Common chimpanzee, Pan troglodytes
    • Bonobo (pygmy chimpanzee), Pan paniscus
    There are no other living species in the family. I assume you don't want extinct animals.
    Our next closest relatives are the Gibbons. However there are 16 species. All are equally close relatives. Imagine that you have an Aunt who has three children. You are not more closely related to any one of them.

To get a current list of what species have been sequenced go to GNN - Quick Guide to Sequenced Genomes
    sonny1117 Posts: 1, Reputation: -1

Mar 26, 2013, 01:04 AM
    It is actually the RAT. Rat organs are located at the same positions as humans. They are over 98% identical to humans. There is a reason humans test on rats before on humans. Is because of the similar immune system, and how closely our body is alike. One of the only difference is that female rats have a vagina with sharp needle like skin. Not Monkeys, but Rats. There is your evolution.
    WoodsGirl Posts: 1, Reputation: -1

Mar 30, 2013, 11:38 AM
    Those are all untrue. Believe it or not, cows have the closest DNA to humans.
    Colsus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2013, 07:43 PM
    I am now checking this out because I was led to believe that the "PIG" is the closest relative to the human. The reasons are as follow.
    1. For years now surgeons have been using organs from pigs to transplant into humans, Hearts, lungs, liver and kidneys have all been used. My point is monkey organs were rejected by the humans white blood cells.
    2. The "Koran" suggests that the consumption of PIG is too close to cannibalism. Although nowadays people are inclined to think the PIG is a dirty animal an feel this is the reason that is should not be consumed. NOW for the twats out there, I am not a Muslim however I do know a little bit about the book.
    So for those that don't know "The Koran is like a operating manual for the human body and life" Not a religious book like the bible!
    3. I do need to check this out but I have also been led to believe that since we have now mapped the DNA system and now know the truth, Schools have been told not to teach DARWINS theory of evolution anymore.
    jem02081 Posts: 65, Reputation: 19

Jun 10, 2013, 07:27 PM
    1. "For years now surgeons have been using organs from pigs to transplant into humans"... No they haven't; well not successfully! However, some people are working on genetically engineering sheep or pigs (by modifying 1 or 2 genes of the ~25,000) to reduce the harsh immune response such a alien tissue would normally generate. This topic is called "xeno transplants" & it has a long & colorful history. It's not about how "related" the animals are, but the size of the organ. It isn't a mechanical problem but an immune system problem. You can't even transplant an organ to an unrelated person with giving the recipient drugs to suppress their immune system.

3. "led to believe that since we have now mapped the DNA system and now know the truth, Schools have been told not to teach DARWINS theory of evolution anymore." & you were led to believe that the pig is the closest relative to the human? There is no basis in reality for either of these beliefs. There is so much information available. Wikipedia has a whole series of articles of evolutionary biology.
    Here is a starting point Introduction to evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's ironic that you start with transplants since the study of the evolution of the immune system is a full undergraduate college course. Here is an example & it is available for free!
    See... Evolution of the Immune System | Biology | MIT OpenCourseWare

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Serious 80's cartoon set in space with animals and humans? [ 2 Answers ]

I remember renting a movie in the early 80's all the time. It had something to do with space,the future, robotic animals? I kind of remember the main character wearing a yellow or gold space suit. It was cute and made for little kids but I remember it being very dark, serious and sad. Definitely...

Are Humans animals? [ 5 Answers ]

Me and my sister were having a debate about how humans are animals or not. Se insists I ask the world (you ;)) for the answer because she is stubborn >.> please explain to her that humans are animals we just think we are more supreior and eat other animals.

Why sexual harassment is in humans and not in animals? [ 9 Answers ]

Why there isn't any concept of rape in animals and only in humans? Why there is Sexual harassment in humans and not animals? I've seen hundreds of programs of animals. Whenever female of animal wants to mate, only then her selected male mates with her. I think I've some answer to this as well....

Why is it that humans live longer than most animals [ 3 Answers ]

What make humans live longer than other animals

Old movie with animals who come back as humans [ 1 Answers ]

I saw this movie years ago and would love to find if it is on DVD. The movie concerned a dog named King who was murdered and went to animal heaven. He was sent back as a human detective who ate dog biscuits. His companion was a girl who once was a horse named Ginger who at one point in the movie...

View more questions Search