Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JSF3161955 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2011, 08:39 PM
    How do I get rid of a dead rodent inside a wall?
    I'll bet you've never had this one before! A small rodent---mouse /mole/chipmonk---has fallen inside a wall in my house and has died. The smell is very characteristic and incredibly bad. This is the fourth in two years. They always end up in the same place. I know that flies will home in on the "smells of death" with their receptors to lay eggs on the carion. If I can introduce some maggots into the wall space through a small hole, will they also "home in" on the prey and take care of the smell by eating the rotting flesh? It would be a shot in the dark to place them directly on the item in question. I know I can get them close, but it may be a foot away. I don't care about the hatching flies at this point; we're heading for winter. Please spare no details; I have a BS in Zoology.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Nov 16, 2011, 12:17 PM
    I don't think you could get enough maggots in there to eat all the flesh quickly. You'd still have to wait several days to weeks (depending on the size of the critter) for bacteria or dehydration to do the bulk of the work.

If this is something that happens year after year, and you can narrow it down to a particular stud bay, I'd be tempted to go to my local home center and buy a single- or double-gang old-work box (like you'd use to install a new electrical receptacle in an existing wall). Then I'd just cover up the box with a blank cover to match your existing outlet covers (or even install some non-functional outlets in the box if you REALLY want it to match your existing ones). That way, whenever this happens, you simply have to unscrew the cover, then loosen two screws to pull the box back out of the wall, giving you access to the wall cavity behind it. Unless your hands are really small, you probably need a two-gang box to get a hole wide enough to reach into.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do you get rid of a dead body? [ 61 Answers ]

Donīt worry, I didnīt kill anyone, and I know this is a bit morbid BUT... I have drama at school, and I chose it, because all my friends went etc. but it is a really stupid subject, with a really stupid teacher. Okay, and she like gave us this task: "How do you get rid of a dead body...

Do you feel dead inside? [ 8 Answers ]

I was just wondering if there are other people who feel dead inside? I feel that maybe there have just been too many disappointments and my heart has given up. I feel like I'm on anti-depressants but I'm not, but the feelings seemed to just have disappeared. All except the anger of course, but...

Please tell me about the type of smell if there is rodent nest in the wall [ 8 Answers ]

We have had almost a uniform sharp smell throughout one of our rooms there is no visible sign of moisture or mold anywhere in the room. The smell is like a dead rat or rats Pee. It is already about sm2 weeks that we have the smell. I went in the attics and noticed On dead ret caught by one of...

Get rid of dead beat ex-friend [ 1 Answers ]

I let this person stay at my house for more than thirty days because he was homeless, know he has become a real problem. The police now tell me I have to evict this guy because he stayed to long(he eats, sleeps and does everything for free). I can not afford 500.00 for eviction notice. Any...

Dead rodent under floor board [ 1 Answers ]

I had put some rodent killer,thoughtlessly inside the house and somehow it seems it has worked ,but unfortunately it seems that the rodent has died somewhere underneath the floorboards and the smell of it is becoming unbearable.The smell comes from underneath two large rooms and removing the...

View more questions Search