Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PopYost Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 01:23 AM
    hole in Intex pool, how to detect
    I have an 18'x48" Intex metal frame pool. I am losing 300-400 gallons of water per day due to a hole . . . I can confirm its not in the filter system. B/c of the "wetness" outside the pool, I think I have a general idea where the leak may be, but how do I detect it.. . And repair - it has 6000 gallons of water in it. We're having an annual picnic at our house this weekend and need this fixed ASAP... can you imagine my anxiety at this moment! HA
    thanks for any help!
    popyost
    connied451 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2009, 10:39 AM
    Did you ever get an answer?or get this fixed?I have the same problem
    PopYost Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 08:11 PM

Never on this site... however, was told to use light food coloring aruond the suspected area and you should be able to watch the coloring exit the pool through the hole. I never found the issue, until this week. The pool was emptied and cleaned in prep for this summer, and found the tiny hole on the bottom of the pool liner - which explains why the water was in a certain area. I had called a pool company and they could have someone come out and find the hole for you, but was pretty expensive. Sorry no better answer, but good luck to you!!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 26, 2009, 07:29 AM

A samll hole in a pool liner can be cheaply fixed with a patch/repair kit sold at the pool supply store. Some work just fine even under water.
    connied451 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 04:17 PM
    Thanks so much.did you patch it or did you use fix a leak? I was told this stuff will work but I am so frustrated I don't know what to do.

May 26, 2009, 05:15 PM

I used a patch kit to fix the small tear.
    mrsbaker02 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 05:53 AM
    Ok, so I am going through the SAME THING with my intex pool. I bought a patch kit at Wal Mart (Like $8) and used it WHILE the POOL WAS FULL and it worked. Fold the patch over after you put the adhesive on it, and swim down to the bottom and smooth it on. Leave it alone for a few hours, patched mine over a month ago and it's working fine but now we have ANOTHER Hole. This is our 3rd year with an intex. I think they just aren't made for long term usage. :(

Jun 3, 2009, 08:25 AM

Most pools will get holes from time to time due to sharp objects and even long toe nails poking at them. You are doing the right thing so just keep at it.
    mechtildes Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2011, 06:52 AM
    We have a hole , somewhere in the bottom of my intexpool, I know it because of the water I see on the ground outsite the poolbottem and we are losing water inside the pool. My question is , how can I find the hole?
    Yak808 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2011, 03:23 PM
    That's my problem mechtildes, I was losing about two inches a day, I knew there was a hole somewhere but I hade no idea where. Eventually I drained it and now am about to clean it and try and see any small holes. What I'm thinking of doing now is buying some kind of sealant or something that I can coat the bottom of the pool with, something like they spray in truck beds. I also just thought of buying a few gallons of epoxy and spreading it around the floor and seams and letting it set.

Does anyone have any advise or suggestions about these things?
    chaosmaster1 Posts: 294, Reputation: 12

Nov 13, 2011, 06:00 AM
    Go to poolcenter.com and go to the leak detection p;art of it and order a prefilled dye testing tube and be sure to get a dye refill bottle. And also be sure to get a quality liner patch kit. Make sure your pool is full of water and jump in with the dye tube. Go to the problem area where you see water on the ground outside of the pool. Put one end of the tube near the liner and gently push the syringe. If the dye clouds up and sits there then test another area keep testing until you find the leak or leaks. If the dye appears to be sucked into the liner: congratulations you have found a leak remember exactly where it is located. Get the patch kit and use it according to the label. Be sure that when you are using the dye in the pool to be very still and move slowly as possible so you do not create any water movement or currents

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fix hole on outside above ground pool [ 7 Answers ]

My husband whole mowing threw a rock that put a small hole in the outside of our above ground pool. It did not penetrate the lining but we are afraid it may by the jagged edge. How can we fix the hole?

Intex above ground pool leak [ 2 Answers ]

My above ground pool has a pin size hole a 1/4 of the way up from the bottom. The problem is the pool is full of water. How can I patch it for this season? Buy the way I just filled it.

Inground Pool Liner- Large Hole Repair [ 3 Answers ]

When opening our 9 year old inground pool this year, we found a large horizontal tear in one corner of the deep end. The tear is about 3-4 feet wide. Can we repair this tear rather than investing in the purchase and installation of a new liner? I am envisioning something like a 4-by-4 foot sheet...

Trying to patch hole at drainage in vynal inground pool [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 8ft vynal inground pool. I drained it almost all the way with the exception of 2ft which keeps leaking in through the hole in the liner located at the drain. I have put it on waste but it will not drain all the water,:confused: :confused: so I purchased c sump pump and can't seem to get...

View more questions Search