Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigfrog1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2011, 04:04 PM
    Custodial parent moving in with boyfriend. Can child's father stand in her way?
    My girlfriend and I have been together going on two years. She has a son from an ex-boyfriend, they don't get along great. I am like a father to the son, and am always respectful of his father. They have a parenting agreement, and it doesn't address her living with a boyfriend. He is married now and has two other children, one four months older than my girlfriends son.

I bought a house for us to live in, but she has yet to move in for fear that he will try and get custodial guardianship of the son because she is living with someone out of wedlock. She is an amazing parent, and I am a very stable person whom the child loves. The father has had some domestic violence issues in the recent past in front of the children. I am of the opinion that all things being considered, the courts would never take a child from a great mother who consistently keeps her child in a healthy environment, but wanted some professional opinions.

Please help!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 2, 2011, 04:07 PM
    Is this parenting agreement a legal one or a verbal one between the two parents?
    bigfrog1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2011, 04:08 PM
    It is a legal agreement, they had a mediation
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2011, 06:29 PM
    Unless there is something in writing preventing her from just living with another person, then it is perfectly legal for her to move in with you. The court would have no say as to who she lives with or where she lives. Her ex can take her to court but I sincerely don't see him winning here. They were not married so there is even less legality of him being able to dictate who she lives with.

It sounds like she has primary custody now and there would have to be a lot of serious problems present before a judge would rule otherwise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reasons for a non-custodial parent on changing a child's last name in nj? [ 2 Answers ]

What would be reasons a non-custodial parent would be granted the ability to change a minor child's last name in New Jersey when both parents were never married?

Child of 16 moving in with non custodial parent [ 6 Answers ]

I am the parent of a 16 year old whom is choosing to move in with his dad- non custodial parent. The non custodial parent owes over $20,000 in back child support. My question is will I be responsible to pay child support, when the dad owes over 20k?

Child's preference for custodial parent [ 4 Answers ]

What about at 13? Just how much weight is there? My son wants to come live with me, but I am not fond of the idea of splitting up siblings. At the same time though my son is miserable with his mother. How much hope should I give him?

Custodial parent forbids child's teachers to provide recommendations for child. [ 2 Answers ]

Alabama- My ex is the legal & custodial parent of our son, who is about to enter high school next Fall. Our son wants to apply to a local and top-flight college-prep school, for which he seems highly qualified. Mom says "no way", refusing even to let him apply. While I have the right to collect...

Can a custodial parent allow a 16 year old to live with his no-custodial father [ 1 Answers ]

Divorced for 9 years, great relationship with sons father. Need son to live with father in order to get him into a better school district. Live in the state of Indiana. Is it legal for us to do this without going through the courts?

View more questions Search