Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

Feb 19, 2007, 01:16 PM
    IQ test for a 5 year old
    Do they have "IQ" test for 5 year olds online? If so where can I find it?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Hey Hamworld, how are you feeling?

I have read a number of your postings. I like your curious and inquisitive mind.

Here is a link that should help you:

http://www.kids-iq-tests.com/
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Here is a site that offers children's and adult IQ testing:

Kids IQ Test, MENSA, Child, IQ Test for Children

Feb 19, 2007, 07:05 PM
    My science teacher said that! Rudypitbull, I can't buy iq tests online. I'd like to see one of these free iq tests for five year olds like the iq tests in www.web.tickle.come( but they're for high school students). It'll be greatly appreciated.

I'm great! Thanks for asking.
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 07:10 PM
    I am glad to hear you are over your cold!

Sorry about the website. The first page didn't say anything about having to pay for it. Did you check out shy's website? I will see what else I can come up with in the next day or so.

The Pitbull needs to go take a potty break!:D

Feb 19, 2007, 07:12 PM
    I did and I appreciate it. I know it isn't easy finding such things.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 07:15 PM
    I don't mean to stick my nose in where it may not be wanted. But I am going to anyway.

I have a 5 year old (well, he'll be 5 on the first of March) who is very bright. I am curious why you want an IQ test. This can be detrimental to a child whether they score high or low. It tends to place them in school scholastically higher or lower than the other kids but does not take into account emotional or social skills.

Feb 19, 2007, 07:18 PM
    I know someone who has a son who doesn't really seem bright. I was hoping this and IQ test would be helpful. I'm just curious as well. I've never seen IQ tests for five year olds!
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Ah, they have them in the schools, if he is in kindergarten. My mother-in-law is a 4th grade teacher. She cautioned me against them with my two youngest because they tend to put a lable or stigma on the kids and the kids find it hard to live up to them sometimes.

Is your's unusually bright?

Feb 19, 2007, 07:36 PM
    I don't have a child. However, my friend's son? He's the opposite.
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Oh, I am sorry I misunderstood. Just remember it will place a label on the child that he may not deserve. He may be unusually bright in areas that other kids aren't and visa versa, they all develop at different paces at this age.

What are some of the things that make you think he is not so bright? Were there any problems with pregnancy and/or birth?

Feb 19, 2007, 07:44 PM
    No problems at birth. He has difficulty pronouncing some words. He has strange eating manners( and when he uses a fork to eat, he actually sticks in the glass of juice!)
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 07:51 PM
    This does not sound unusual actually for a 5 year old. The pronunciation is nothing unusual, and the fork in the glass is more to get attention. Mom, can reinforce this by taking the juice away.

He may need speech therapy if his speech is bad, but many children have a hard time pronouncing words, especially if parents baby talk them as infants.

Mine says fum instead of thumb, singer instead of finger, etc...

Can you give me some examples?
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 07:57 PM
    I don't want to stick my nose where it doesn't belong either, but I'd like to share with you what my children's doctor told me when I was concerned about my 3 year old sons speech.
    He said young, healthy children that are not disabled develop at different rates and speeds. He said it depends on the individual child instead of their age. He also said that reading and interacting with hands on educational activities can stimulate their little minds into gear, but that all children develop at their own pace. He mentioned that everyone's learning ability evens out as they get older (some being in the lower scale of normal, some being in the above avg. scale), and if still showing sign of falling below avg behind others their own age (9,10,11 years old and older for instance) than more sufficient testing can be preformed to determine a possible learning disability.
    Just wanted to share that with you, I know it's not what you asked for, but it may help shed some light.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2007, 09:18 AM
    Hi Hamworld. I cannot seem to find any other tests for children online that don't charge a fee. Sorry.

J_9 and Akae have given some very useful insight into this. I know you are curious about this 5 year old that you know. But, before you do anything, you need to check with his/her mother or father to make sure they don't have a problem with your testing their child. People are very sensitive to stuff like that. Especially if you do the test and come to the conclusion that their child might be "slow." They could get very angry at you and not view your help as being very helpful. The other problem with these tests is that they are not always accurate. Always remember if you can get something for free, there is a reason it is free. I wouldn't recommend it as a way of telling you absolutely what the child's IQ is. It is best to leave the decision of testing up to the parents of the child.

But, as I told you before, I love your curiosity! You have asked some great questions here on this forum. I am sure you have a great future ahead of yourself. How are you doing with your grades in school? What grade are you in? What are you thinking for yourself as a career choice? I would be very interested in knowing, if you feel like sharing.:)
    arulmozhi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Hi

You can go to the below mentioned link for 5 year kid IQ test
    http://www.kids-iq-tests.com/

Regds
    Arul
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2007, 09:38 AM
    Hi arul. I know you are trying to be helpful, but if you review all the posts above, that website was already suggested. Hamworld came back and said he/she could not afford to buy one. That site charges for the tests.

Feb 20, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    Hi Hamworld. I cannot seem to find any other tests for children online that don't charge a fee. Sorry.

J_9 and Akae have given some very useful insight into this. I know you are curious about this 5 year old that you know. But, before you do anything, you need to check with his/her mother or father to make sure they don't have a problem with your testing their child. People are very sensitive to stuff like that. Especially if you do the test and come to the conclusion that their child might be "slow." They could get very angry at you and not view your help as being very helpful. The other problem with these tests is that they are not always accurate. Always remember if you can get something for free, there is a reason it is free. I wouldn't recommend it as a way of telling you absolutely what the child's IQ is. It is best to leave the decision of testing up to the parents of the child.

But, as I told you before, I love your curiosity! You have asked some great questions here on this forum. I am sure you have a great future ahead of yourself. How are you doing with your grades in school? What grade are you in? What are you thinking for yourself as a career choice? I would be very interested in knowing, if you feel like sharing.:)
    You're right. IQ tests aren't 100 percent correct. As for J_9, he says "atalented" for talented. It sounds like that. I don't know how my grades are. I had Chicken Pox last term, so I saw an average of around 60 percent. I am doing better, though. I'm in grade 8 and my career choice is tax accountant. ( That's why I asked in a different forum, if a library could have a textbook on business. I wanted to read it in the summer!)

I forgot to mention that he makes grammar errors like " Help me for the tv".
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Well, 5 year olds aren't known for their correct grammar or pronunciation. ;)
    It is part of the learning process that we all go through.
    If his parents aren't correcting him, he will learn as he progresses through school. You might want to tell him the correct way to say things and ask him to repeat it to you until he gets it right. But, you have to be very patient if he doesn't get it immediately. Don't get mad or frustrated with him or he won't be willing to listen to you and he might complain to his mother that you are being mean. Little kids don't have a lot of patience, especially if they are being told that they aren't doing something right, unless you are very patient with them.

I am so sorry you had to go through the Chicken Pox. That is a tough one. Very uncomfortable.

I am glad you are doing better. Keep getting those grades up. You are very bright and I think you will do well in any job that you choose to do!

Being a tax accountant is a great profession. I am assuming that you are doing pretty well in math?
    Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05
    "atalented" for talented. It sounds like that.

I forgot to mention that he makes grammar errors like " Help me for the tv".
    Oh, this is all quite normal for a 5 year old. As Ruby said, 5 year olds are not known for their grammar. My little one says "help me for to put on my clothes." And things similar to that. It will all clear up as he gets older. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, he will learn to say it right.

As Ruby clearly points out, you can gently ask him to repeat after you and then you say it the right way, but be careful as she says, these younguns tend to get a little upset if asked the wrong way. I don't know how close you are with his parents, (I don't think I read that) but it might just be best to let them handle it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's the diff between diaelectric test and insulation test [ 1 Answers ]

I am puzzled, What exactly is the difference between diaelectric test and insulation test. Some says it the same, but others says it's because one applied power to perform the test the latter don't. And some says both are using power but one is using AC power and the other using Dc power. There...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

6th Year F1, Converted to H-1B last year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, Thank you so much for everything you have done for all of us. I really really appreciate your help and advice. You are THE man! My case is like that: I came to US on F1 in 08/2000, and had been on F1 until I got my H-1B visa on Nov. 1st last year. From last May to last Oct. I...

Pregnant 16 year old, by 14 year old [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if anyone knows the rape laws in Ohio. There is a situation that I need to find out. I know a 16 year old girl pregnant by a 14 year old boy. Is their a rape law that would apply. Can the 14 year old boys parents go after the 16 year old girl or can the girls parents go...

View more questions Search