Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jibthis Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2011, 05:15 PM
    96 s10 blazer 4.3 won't start?
    I have a 1996 s10 blazer 4wd 4.3 auto. I was driving down the E-way today, had the cruise set at 65mph when it stalled. I had just fueled up so I have a full tank of gas only 8 miles on it. It gave no warning at all just cut out. I felt like I was losing speed so looked down and the rpm was at 0. I put it in neutral and tried to get it to start but I kept on coasting. Anyway I had it towed home did some work and still nothing. First I checked to make sure my gas was good, it looked kind of pinkish almost like off road deisel but it is definitely gas with no water. I am getting between 55 and 60psi to the fuel rails. It appears I am getting a nice hot blue spark. Could be wrong as it was bright out today going to check tomorrow when there is room in the garage. I grounded the plug against the block. Distributer cap and rotor look good plug looks clean. I tried to turn the rotor to see if it maybe it skipped a gear but its nice and tight. Changed the crank sensor. All fuses are good. Fuel pump runs (duh got pressure to the fuel rails). No idea what it could be. Maybe the ecm? Maybe fuel regulator (don't think so cause you can't smell gas unless you put your nose right up to the throttle body) and I just poured a bit of fuel in the throttle boddy to see if it would fire that way but no. I'm lost any suggestions? Please!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2011, 05:42 PM
    Sounds like classic Ignition Control Module (ICM) failure. You may be getting spark, but it's not firing when the PCM wants it to. It's a common problem and easy to replace. Advance Auto Parts, BWD Ignition Control Module, Lifetime Warranty, Part No. CBE122Z, $75.99.

If this solves the problem, I would replace the distributor cap, rotor, and wires. At a minimum, inspect them very carefully and ohm them out. Sometimes, high internal resistance in these parts causes the secondary voltage to turn on the ICM, especially if it's the shortest path to ground.

Oct 28, 2011, 06:12 PM
    Ignition control module was replaced last winter with used junkyard one as I used to work there. I will try it again and see what happens. Thanks for the quick reply
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2011, 06:28 PM
    These are problematic components, which I recommend replacing every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.

Oct 29, 2011, 09:59 AM
    Well put a new coil and ICM on from the junk yard at the same time so it was one of the two for sure. Thanks!
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2011, 12:04 PM
    Good job. What was the price of both of them from the junk yard?

Nov 1, 2011, 01:43 PM
    They really hooked me up. They towed my car back to my house. Then later on the manager stopped over to my house on his way home since he lives just down the road. He offers to take the truck to my dads shop that's right by the yard. Ran to the yard grabbed the roll off and took my truck up to my dads shop. Then they even hooked me up with the part. I can't thank him enough! I'm so thankfull for everything they did!
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2011, 02:48 PM
    It must be nice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1992 chevy s10 blazer [ 2 Answers ]

Where is the fuel pressure regulator on a 1992 s10 blazer, mine is running rough and the smell of fuel is very extreme, si suspect the diaphragm has gone bad and raw gas is leaking into the manifold but don't know where to find it.

1993 chevy s10 blazer [ 2 Answers ]

Sometimes it will fire over sometimes does nothing but click... y?

2000 S10 Blazer ac [ 1 Answers ]

2000 S10 Blazer, 135,000 miles. AC problem. Low side reads 45. Shows equalization after it sits. Pressure rises to 100 on low side. Compressor comes on, clutch pulls in. That part seems good. Have added freon, then stop leak, a little oil. Released some of the pressure on the low side after...

94 s10 blazer won't start [ 12 Answers ]

When I was at the ATM tonight my blazer died for no reason and no it won't start. The fuel pump was replace two years ago and the start is 6 months old so I can't think why it won't start, when I try it sound like its starting normal but it won't fire up. Any ideas? Also I heard it could be the EGR...

View more questions Search