Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zanderbaxa Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2011, 09:13 PM
    Is GR flawed
    Is GR flawed?
    There are at least two inconsistencies that stand out:
    1. An object approaches a star's gravity well. The linear momentum of the object is such that it becomes a satellite. As the satellite tends toward the star, from where is its momentum replenished, to keep it in orbit?
    2. What is the force applied to the satellite that causes it to follow the space-time gradient toward the star. If gravity is a result of the curvature of space-time, from where does that force come ---since there is no tether (action at a distance) pulling them toward each other?
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Oct 29, 2011, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderbaxa View Post
    Is GR flawed?
    There are at least two inconsistencies that stand out:
    1. An object approaches a star's gravity well. The linear momentum of the object is such that it becomes a satellite. As the satellite tends toward the star, from where is its momentum replenished, to keep it in orbit?
    2. What is the force applied to the satellite that causes it to follow the space-time gradient toward the star. If gravity is a result of the curvature of space-time, from where does that force come ---since there is no tether (action at a distance) pulling them toward each other?

Hi Zanderbaxa,

This may help resolve some of the issues.

Orbits in Strongly Curved Spacetime

Tut

Oct 29, 2011, 07:14 PM
    It what causes the is similar to Newton. That is, it more specifically describes how; but it does not explain the mechanism by which mass contorts space time. Ibo other words, what causes the particle to slide down the parabolic surface?

Oct 29, 2011, 10:52 PM
    It what causes the is similar to Newton. That is, it more specifically describes how; but it does not explain the mechanism by which mass contorts space time. Ibo other words, what causes the particle to slide down the parabolic surface?
    Hi Again Zanderbax,

I think you are asking about Einstein's field equations

http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_field_equations

Tut

Oct 29, 2011, 11:17 PM
    I do not think it is arcane as EFE; but time will tell.

Oct 30, 2011, 12:15 AM
    I do not think it is arcane as EFE; but time will tell.

One thing is for sure EFE is definitely arcane from my point of view.

Tut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet connection is flawed [ 3 Answers ]

My computer seems to have started a disliking to the internet, and most related software. I am currently unable to start Frostwire/Limewire as they both believe that I am blocking their connection with a firewall (I have attempted to connect with all system security shut down), Shareaza is not...

Flawed well and irrigation system design? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi- I am in need of some advice. My house used to be on two wells. One for my irrigation system and one for my house. The well for my irrigation was bad so I just switched over the lines from my irrigation and tied into the house lines. I may have not thought this through "well" enough so I am...

View more questions Search