Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2011, 03:44 AM
    Lottery winnings
    Hypothetical question: An elderly woman wins the Florida lottery. The wife has no income only the husband's social security. In their working years they filed their income taxes, joint married. We appreciate the government will take out the usual withholding amount. But at the end of the year if the wife would file an income tax Statement would she be obligated to file married joint or would she be devoid of any filing restrictions
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 29, 2011, 04:30 AM
    I have no idea of what the lottery win has to do with the question, Can you please explain that.

Next what you file this year at the end of the year has nothing to do with what you filed during your life time or working career, in fact she may have been widowed or single her entire working life and just got married at 70.

Or widowed at 70,

If she is married, she will file first married, then they will decide if they file a joint return, or married filing separate, each year the filing is decided, not on past years but on the best choice for this year
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2011, 05:48 AM
    Dear Chuck: isn't lottery winnings treated as ordinary income. Thanks for the information
    On the filing status. You answered that question.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 29, 2011, 05:54 AM
    Yes lottery winnings are treated as ordinary income. Which is why it has nothing to do with the question. Your question was whether she could file as joint or single. And the answer to that has nothing to do with the nature of her income.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 29, 2011, 07:13 AM
    Also of course if the winnings is over several hundred dollars or so, they hold out a flat amount before you get your winnings that you will use to show and post taxes already paid.

Again, I see no connection between how you can file and lottery winnings.

If this is perhaps a home work question, what has happened they added information into the question that has no bearing on it, to confuse a person

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What are the foreign lottery winnings transfer to USA procedures ? [ 6 Answers ]

I am holding in excess of 1M dollars of lottery winnings in foreign bank account. What are the procedures- declarations- forms- fees and tax consequences for transferring to USA?

Lottery winnings [ 3 Answers ]

I know already about the IRS withdrawal if you win the lottery. But what about at the end of the year income tax filing. In my Case we have always filed married joint. But now we are retired With social security and a small pension. But my son is unemployed Without any income, if he were...

Rate of discount lottery winnings [ 0 Answers ]

You have just won a $25 million lottery prize, which pays you $1 million (tax free) every year for the next 25 years. Have you really won $25 million? What have you won if the rate of discount is 5 percent? (note: you will get your first $1 million payment today and your last $1 million payment 24...

Florida lottery winnings [ 2 Answers ]

I know if you winIRS they take takes some money out like Withholding. But how is it taxed. Is there a special tax for gambling winnings. Or can the winnings be incorporated with other income earned At the end of the year.

Lottery winnings [ 2 Answers ]

If I win the lottery in pa. but live in md. Who state taxes do I have to pay? Or do I have to pay both states

View more questions Search