Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

Feb 7, 2007, 06:08 PM
    How could you get amnesia?
    Could you get amnesia if you hold your breath for longer than 5 minutes or cannot breathe for 5 minutes?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 7, 2007, 06:09 PM
    No, amnesia is from damage to the brain stem.

You will just die if you hold your breath for that long or get permanent brain damage.

Feb 8, 2007, 05:42 PM
    OK. I heard that traumatic experiences can cause amnesia. Is this true?
    Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 07:35 PM
    That would be selective amnesia. It is an unconscious process, but it this kind of amnesia is more psychiatric than medical in nature.

Feb 8, 2007, 08:14 PM
    WOW! I didn't know that! Can selective amnesia occur if you cannot breathe for 5 minutes or have a reduced oxygen supply for 5 minutes?
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Feb 8, 2007, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05
    Could you get amnesia if you hold your breath for longer than 5 minutes or cannot breathe for 5 minutes?
    If you do not breathe for five minutes you, could die or become comatose, and brain damage is likely to occur when the brain has been anoxic for three minutes.

The National Institute for Neurological Disrodfers and Stroke says:

Cerebral hypoxia refers to a condition in which there is a decrease of oxygen supply to the brain even though there is adequate blood flow. Drowning, strangling, choking, suffocation, cardiac arrest, head trauma, carbon monoxide poisoning, and complications of general anesthesia can create conditions that can lead to cerebral hypoxia. Symptoms of mild cerebral hypoxia include inattentiveness, poor judgment, memory loss, and a decrease in motor coordination. Brain cells are extremely sensitive to oxygen deprivation and can begin to die within five minutes after oxygen supply has been cut off. When hypoxia lasts for longer periods of time, it can cause coma, seizures, and even brain death. In brain death, there is no measurable activity in the brain, although cardiovascular function is preserved. Life support is required for respiration.

Treatment depends on the underlying cause of the hypoxia, but basic life-support systems have to be put in place: mechanical ventilation to secure the airway; fluids, blood products, or medications to support blood pressure and heart rate; and medications to suppress seizures.

Recovery depends on how long the brain has been deprived of oxygen and how much brain damage has occurred, although carbon monoxide poisoning can cause brain damage days to weeks after the event. Most people who make a full recovery have only been briefly unconscious. The longer someone is unconscious, the higher the chances of death or brain death and the lower the chances of a meaningful recovery. During recovery, psychological and neurological abnormalities such as amnesia, personality regression, hallucinations, memory loss, and muscle spasms and twitches may appear, persist, and then resolve.

The Medical College of Wisconsin says:

Specifically, anoxia is a condition in which there is an absence of oxygen supply to an organ's tissues although there is adequate blood flow to the tissue. Hypoxia is a condition in which there is a decrease of oxygen to the tissue in spite of adequate blood flow to the tissue. Anoxia and hypoxia, however, are often used interchangeably -- without regard to their specific meanings -- to describe a condition that occurs in an organ when there is a diminished supply of oxygen to the organ's tissues.

Anoxia and hypoxia may be caused by a number of events, such as smoke or carbon monoxide inhalation, high altitude exposure, strangulation, anesthetic accidents, or poisoning. In severe cases of anoxia and hypoxia, from any cause, the patient is often stuperous or comatose (in a state of unconsciousness) for periods ranging from hours to days, weeks, or months. Seizures, myoclonic jerks (muscle spasms or twitches), and neck stiffness may occur.

Some problems seen after anoxia include mental confusion, personality changes, amnesia or other types of memory loss, hallucinations, and persistent myoclonus.

Other possible causes of amnesia include:

* Aging
    * Alzheimer's disease
    * Neurodegenerative illness
    * Head trauma or injury
    * Hysteria - including fugues - often accompanied by confusion
    * Seizures - epileptic, or Jacksonian
    * General anesthetics such as halothane, isoflurane, and fentanyl
    * Alcoholism
    * Stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA)
    * Transient global amnesia
    * Drugs such as barbiturates or benzodiazepines
    * Electroconvulsive therapy (especially if prolonged)
    * Temporal lobe brain surgery
    * Brain masses (caused by tumors or infection)
    * Herpes encephalitis
    * Other brain infections
    * Depression

I hope this is helpful. If you need further information or have other questions on this subject, please feel free to ask.

M:)RGANITE

WOW! I didn't know that! Can selective amnesia occur if you cannot breathe (anoxia) for 5 minutes or have a reduced oxygen supply (hypoxia) for 5 minutes?

"Selective Amnesia" does not occur in either anoxia or hypoxia. It is a horse of a different feather.

"Selective Amnesia" is amnesia about particular events that is very convenient for the person who cannot remember; "why do politicians always develop selective amnesia when questioned about their transgressions?" It is not a medical or psychological condition. Cheating husbands and wives are prone to fall victim to it, but only because they choose to forget what they want to forget and remember what they want to remember. It is a pretext.

M:)

OK. I heard that traumatic experiences can cause amnesia. Is this true?
    Yes, it is quite true. Trauma-induced dissociative amnesia was initially reported in World War I studies of war trauma. It has similarity to contemporary findings of dissociative amnesia in victims of childhood sexual abuse. It has been demonstrated that posttraumatic amnesia extends beyond the experience of sexual and combat trauma and is a protean symptom, which reflects responses to the gamut of traumatic events.
    KaishaJayne Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2007, 11:12 AM
    No, you can't. You can die from that and suffer possible brain damage.

Feb 10, 2007, 01:03 PM
    OK, I'm confused. Someone says you can't get amnesia after(activity) but amnesia is sometimes seen after anoxia or hypoxia or both. To me, this is unclear.

Feb 10, 2007, 05:12 PM
    OK, I'm confused. Someone says you can't get amnesia after(activity) but amnesia is sometimes seen after anoxia or hypoxia or both. To me, this is unclear.
    Anoxia is total deprivation of ozygen to the brain.
    Hypoxia is a reduced supply of oxugen to the brain.

There are many possible causes of amnesis (loss of memory), most of which I delineated in an earlier post. If anything remains unclear I will be pleased to explain further.

M:)RGANITE

Feb 10, 2007, 09:38 PM
    With all the info I have here, is it right for me to say you can get amnesia after(activity) ? Or you can't? This is the question I'd like to be cleared up.

Feb 11, 2007, 07:12 AM
    With all the info I have here, is it right for me to say you can get amnesia after(activity) ? Or you can't? This is the question I'd like to be cleared up.
    What kind of activity?

Feb 19, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Holding your breath for five minutes or having a reduced oxygen supply for 5 minutes.
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 07:53 PM
    That would cause hypoxia which would cause permanent non-reversable brain damage.

Feb 19, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    That would cause hypoxia which would cause permanent non-reversable brain damage.
    Which could cause amnesia?
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Head injuries, traumatic experiences, and the like. Yes, hypoxia can cause amnesia, but 5 minutes would cause something more like brain death.

I am curious why you ask. Maybe if I know more circumstances I can help better.

Feb 19, 2007, 08:00 PM
    A fellow classmate asked a question like this. I wanted to go in a discussion with my science teacher about this. I thought that with all the knowledge here, I could fuel up an interesting discussion.
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Typically 5 minutes without O2 (oxygen) will cause brain death rather than amnesia. Amnesia would be caused most likely by blunt head trauma or a very very traumatic experience.

Feb 19, 2007, 08:06 PM
    So, you're saying amnesia is very unlikely? But why?
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 08:08 PM
    Yes, it is unlikely because the most likely thing that would happen is that you would DIE. Your brain cannot be deprived of oxygen for that long.

Feb 19, 2007, 08:10 PM
    Ok. What about having a reduced oxygen supply for 5 minutes? Same thing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search