Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cornelip Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2011, 04:58 PM
    How to seal an iron toilet drain?
    I need to remove an old basement toilet and permanently seal the floor drain.. probably cast iron.. what do I do (call a real plumber?)
    Cornelius
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2011, 05:45 PM
    If you can pull the toilet you can seal the drain. Remove the toilet. Using newspaper or rags, tightly stuff the hole and hammer the filling down maybe 3". Get a small bag of quickcrete, mix it and pour it into the hole. Depending on the age, you may have a lead pipe hammered over the flange. In that case, pry up the flange and just fill the lead drainpipe. You can also chisel off the old flange and fill the remainder with concrete. Don't leave the hole open too long as sewer gas may enter the house. If you can't do it all at one time, at least stuff the filling in tightly.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 11, 2011, 12:10 AM
    Also, you can buy plug and plug the pipe... Milo
    pearldiver Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2011, 05:17 PM
    Some city codes do not allow you to fill the hole with concrete. There is a plug you can buy at Menards for it, and it will seal it, and you can remove it later if you want to re-install the toilet.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 17, 2011, 06:19 PM
    I'm surprised that nobody mentioned whacking the cast iron flange with a hammer and removing the pieces. I wouldn't worry too much about codes at this point. Whose going to inspect it anyhow. I would follow Ma0641s instruction and either use a plug or news paper or even wet rags and cement the hole. With 6the flange remover you can smooth the cement to grade band the potty disappears. Good luck, Tom
    cornelip Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2011, 08:16 AM
    Thanks for all the help.. happened to remember that my niece in WV is married to a plumber... per his advise I broke the flange away with a 3 # hammer.. crammed a rag in the drain about 3 inches deep and poured hydraulic cement into the hole.. dried nice and even with the cement floor... I'm a plumber now.. my mom would be proud.
    Cornelius
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 18, 2011, 08:21 AM
    Thanks for the update. If we can ever be of service in the future just ask. Good luck. Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 18, 2011, 09:05 AM
    cornelip: :-)))
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2011, 01:42 PM
    See, told you could do it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seal copper stack to cast iron drain line [ 2 Answers ]

I have a copper stack pipe coming down from upstairs washrooms leading into a cast iron drain line that ultimately goes through the basement and out to the septic tank. It looks as though the copper stack was simply run into the cast iron drain with some kind of sealant. At this point it appears...

Dealing with iron toilet drain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I'm remodelling an old bathroom and my toilet drain pipe is cast iron. I have a few questions: 1) does the drain essentially have to be flush with the finished floor? 2) if so, how do I chop down the cast iron drain 3) what kind of flange should I use? 4) the drain looks to be very old...

How do I connect a bathroom sink drain to a cast iron toilet drain [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to replace a leaky one and a quarter inch lead drain pipe that goes from the sink to the toilet. It is about 30" long and connects to the cast iron toilet drain, through a large cast iron nut which appears to screw into the side of the drain. All of this is located in a powder room in...

How do I seal pvc toilet flange to cast iron drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Just bought a house with damaged toilet. Existing plumbing is pvc toilet flange inserted into cast iron drain line. The flange is loose and needs to be refastened to the floor, subfloor condition permitting . How do I seal the pvc toilet flange to cast iron drain pipe to ensure no sewer gas leak?

Toilet Drain Leak - Bad Seal? [ 7 Answers ]

My home is 5 years old - first plumbing problem. Our first floor half-bath. I noticed a mold ring forming around the base of the toilet. It's coming from underneath the flooring. No smells/odor - yet. After reading other posts - I'm going to try to remove the toilet, inspect the seal /...

View more questions Search