Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kerry1872 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2011, 10:44 AM
    Pending felony charges and pre-employment background checks
    I'm asking for my husband. In late May of this yr, he was set up by a "friend" and charged with Delivery of a controlled substance PG1 (Over 4 and under 200 grams). He was arrested and spent a day and a half in the county jail before I bailed him out, which he is currently on. His lawyer is confident he can get the case dismissed on a number of technicalities (was not read his Miranda rights, the drugs were never on his person and he did not deliver them to anyone-the police took them out of his car etc, etc). That is all irrelavant to my question. He recently lost his job at Exxon/Mobil as an IT desk top support tech. He had an interview with Oncor on Thursday and they offerd him a IT tech position, paying a little more than he was making at Exxon/Mobil. However, the job offer is dependent on him passing a drug screen (which he is taking Mon) and a criminal background check. He has not been convicted/found guilty of anything, only charged at this point. I know there are varying degrees of background checks. I am not sure how extensive/thorough Oncor's will be but can anyone give me an estimated probablility of this charge/arrest showing up on his criminal background check and can they rescind the offer based on a charge and not a conviction? Any and all advice and past experiences are appreciated.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2011, 11:41 AM
    No one here can guess how thorough a background check will be done. When asked about arrests and/or convictions, what did he answer? Was the loss of his employment related in any way to the arrest?

I actually do background checks. Some companies are far more thorough than others.

As you are very well aware employment is tight right now - two people, same backgrounds, one pending arrest, one nothing - the "nothing" gets hired.
    Kerry1872 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2011, 12:28 PM
    They did not ask him about arrests or convictions. They just told him he would have to pass a background check and drug screen before he can start.
    No, his being let go at Exxon was not related in any way to his arrest. Arrest was in May, he was let go in late Sept. He was a contractor thru a staffing co. They said it was due to "his attendance" but that does not make sense bc he did not miss that often, aprox 1 day every 2 mos or so and he had been there 15 mos.
    I used to do pre-employment background checks too at an Alzheimer's care facility. I do not remember any pending charges coming up, only convictions, but as you said some companies are far more thorough than others and Oncor is a large utility providor in the stae of Texas. Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it!
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2011, 02:26 PM
    USUALLY it's only convictions. If not, all sorts of innocent people would have charges which were later dropped held against them. I'd take a deep breath, cross my fingers and "assume" he's going to be all right. I have, on occasion, seen pending charges but not always.

I hope so.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2011, 04:03 PM
    Only convictions show up on standard and government (POLICE) background checks, A background check though some private search firms may show this up and even more.
    While arrests without convictions are not suppose to be used against you, if they know about them, well you can guess what they may do.

I will address the case a minute.
    Miranda, is not required to be given at arrest, I have arrested many people and never read it once. It is only used before you question the person, So if it was not read to him ( actually normally given on a piece of paper to sign at the station before the Dect talk to him. But a case is not dismissed for last of Miranda being read, but the evidence or his confession or his statements he made, can be thrown, out.

Depending on where you are at, if the drugs are in your car, you are in possession. In fact if they were in the pocket of another person, and that person is in your car, in Georgia anyway, you can be convicted for those drugs. He may need to have a more down to earth conversation with his attorney, as to this, has the attorney filed motions to have the case dismissed ?
    rlrl2010 Posts: 85, Reputation: 3

Oct 16, 2011, 04:14 PM
    I can't speak of other states but I do know that a NY State fingerprint check will reveal a pending charge and a court records check (by name and DOB) will also turn up a pending arrest. The only time an arrest will come back clear is if the defendant was acquitted or had the charge dismissed

Oct 16, 2011, 04:23 PM
    Criminal History Record Search - FAQs - Unified Court System

Link above for NY State CHRS background check says that information is returned on pending and disposed cases

I don't know if other states operate the same way
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2011, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rlrl2010 View Post
    i can't speak of other states but I do know that a NY State fingerprint check will reveal a pending charge and a court records check (by name and DOB) will also turn up a pending arrest. the only time an arrest will come back clear is if the defendant was acquitted or had the charge dismissed

That is not the case from my experience in NY. I'm an investigator for law firms. What is your experience, what level?

Oct 17, 2011, 02:31 PM
    My "experience" is that of being a defendant 15 years ago when I pled guilty to a violation in NY.

Look at my link to the NY State UCS criminal history search--look under "what kind of info is included?" you will see that pending cases are included in the reports

Also, the NY General Business Law article 25 section 380 J (prohibited info in a Consumer Report) says that no information pertaining to an arrest or a criminal conviction can be included in a Consumer Report unless there was a criminal conviction or the arrest is still pending
    kiddezae Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2011, 08:44 AM
    From experience I was just denied a job for two pending felony charges last week. It all depends. I actually ran across this to find out how to stop pending charges from showing up on my record. Because they will be dropped due to lack of evidence but I still can't work for anyone with this over my head. Much prayers are with you and if I find a way to get them removed until convicted, you'll be the first to know.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2011, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry1872 View Post
    can anyone give me an estimated probablility of this charge/arrest showing up on his criminal background check and can they rescind the offer based on a charge and not a conviction? Any and all advice and past experiences are appreciated.
    Hello Kerry:

Since the arrest is relatively new, and there's been no conviction, there's a good chance it won't be there. But, if it is, and even it isn't, they can refuse to employ him for any reason, or no reason at all.

excon
    jjalv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 12:46 PM
    I'm in California and was just denied a position with Radio shack due to pending charges. So they definitely can show up on a background.. it was very detailed as well as far as the case no. the charges etc. Even the next court date was on the background... I was offered the position and then they rescinded the offer and went with someone else.
    mrslimrab Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2012, 08:59 PM
    This question is for Judy KayTee I was convicted of 2 felonies in the early 90's and I have been out of trouble since then . I'm thinking of applying for a new job but I hear they do extensive background checks. How far back can a company actually go and find something?

Jesse
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2012, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrslimrab View Post
    This question is for Judy KayTee I was convicted of 2 felonies in the early 90's and I have been out of trouble since then . I'm thinking of applying for a new job but I hear they do extensive background checks. How far back can a company actually go and find something?

Jesse

Depends on the company - I've seen checks go back to age 18, 10 years, from birth.

Depends on the company and how much it wants to spend on a background check. Currently I am seeing companies ask for credit reports (not all that unusual) and Facebook/Tweeter accounts.

A lot depends on the type of employment.

A Federal employee in my area was recently fired based on a FB posting. He fought. He lost.
    singhsuyash Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2013, 01:19 PM
    Was your charge a felony or a misdemeanor?
    singhsuyash Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2013, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjalv View Post
    I'm in California and was just denied a position with Radio shack due to pending charges. So they definitely can show up on a background.. it was very detailed as well as far as the case no. the charges etc. Even the next court date was on the background... I was offered the position and then they rescinded the offer and went with someone else.
    Was this a flony or misdemeanor pending charge?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Background check with pending charges [ 23 Answers ]

I have court in 2 weeks for a charge that was issued earlier this year (theft under 5k). I had an interview yesterday and they said everything looked good, but they have to submit a background check (not sure what type; bondable, child abuse, etc.). I was just wondering that since it's not a...

For Wondergirl, or Anyone. Background Checks for Minors Seeking Employment [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, All! A young man on the following thread is having a predicament where he interviewed for a job and didn't tell them or put on the application where he had a job several years ago where he was fired. ...

Pre-Employment Background Checks - Military Records [ 1 Answers ]

I was honorably disharged from the Army, but I had an Art 15 (Non-Judicial Punishment) for "Illegal Use f Hallucinogen". NJPs are an administrative action OUTSIDE of the legal system. It is not a misdemeanor, nor is it a felony. It is a mechanism whereby the military can punish its own without...

Employment Background Checks [ 1 Answers ]

Thirteen to fifteen years ago, I had several DUIs within a period of a couple of years. I was going through a divorce and on those occasions acted irresponsibly. How long do employment background checks go back for a job working for the state in the state of Georgia?

Employment background checks [ 5 Answers ]

I am in the process of having a new potential employer (for a call center supervisor) conduct a background check. I have an IRS bill, will they see this and deny me a job because of my bill? It's a telecommunications company.

View more questions Search