Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Island_girl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 09:38 AM
    Leaking "no caulk drain"... MAAX product... where/what to caulk with?
    We have newly installed a neoangle shower, which included a 'no caulk drain'. But the drain is leaking from between the black drain pipe and the white drain. We installed the drain according to the directions exactly. My questions are:
    1 should I use caulking?
    2 what kind of caulking? (silicone or silicone latex hybrid)
    3 where to put caulking?

I read some posts and it says to put some of the parts in a different order than the instructions? Do I need to do this too? Please help, diagrams appreciated. Thanks!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 16, 2011, 12:32 PM
    "No Caulk" means no caulk is used as sealer.

There is a fat washer inside the drain filling in and making seal between pipe and body of the drain. Over this seal should be a large washer. If there is a leak than: take large flat screwdriver and hammer, insert screwdriver into one of the slots in the washer and gently tap it in CW direction. 1/4 to 1/2 turn should be enough to stop the leak. Test for leaks. Back to you. Milo
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 16, 2011, 01:44 PM
    Sounds like a PVC drain fitting, an ABS pipe and the wrong type of glue.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 16, 2011, 04:05 PM
    HI all

Actually, I think No-calk or no-caulk refers to the fact that you don't have to use "caulking irons" (see image) to caulk/seal the lead into the drain as we had to do years ago... ;)

Also note here that ABS or PVC won't make the difference in whether the caulking seal will seal properly.

The pipe needs to be squared up and many people will lubricate the no-caulk seal with soap or a plumber's grease and install the drain that way. As Milo said, no sealants should be needed here.

Let us know if you want to discuss more, OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 16, 2011, 08:51 PM
    Typical No Caulk shower drain used today with PVC, ABS and Cast Iron pipe. They can be white (PVC ), black (ABS) or metal (Cast Iron).
    Installer in the photo is screwing in large nut with fat washer under neath it. Washer expends under pressure and pushes on wall of pipe and body of the drain head making positive seal in process.
    Attached Images

srichter Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2013, 10:19 AM
    Where did you find that tool? I need one of those!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 22, 2013, 11:38 AM
    Called a bulldog drain tool... can order it here (click on link):

ORDER

Mark
    srichter Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2013, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Called a bulldog drain tool...can order it here (click on link):

ORDER

Mark
    Thank you very much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To caulk or not to caulk; cedar shake [ 7 Answers ]

I will be painting my house this summer which is painted cedar shakes. A previous owner calked cracks and also the spaces between the shakes. I have removed some of this caulk and paint as it is failing. Should I re-caulk the spaces between the shakes?

No Caulk Shower Drain [ 4 Answers ]

I have a second floor shower drain that is leaking. I have cut a hole in the ceiling downstairs to expose the drain. I went to Home Depot and purchased a new drain primarily to get the no caulk tool to loosen the top ring. I cannot remove the existing brass drain as I cannot loosen the bottom...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

No caulk shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I have a leaking upstairs shower. I have cut out a section of the drywall and have Access to the trap and drain. The stub coming from the trap to the drain moves Inside the no caulk drain. I am not sure how much of the stub should be inside the drain And if the top of the stub should be...

No-Caulk Shower Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am remodeling a bathroom with a shower (no tub). I have replaced the leaking 2" trap and I am getting ready to install a new marble shower receptor. I purchased a Jones Plumbest 2" D40-140 no-caulk brass drain fitting that comes with a compression gasket for the riser pipe, and 2...

View more questions Search