Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ptriplett60 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2009, 06:55 PM
    Using real names in a non fiction book
    I have written a non fiction memoir in which I use real names and real events. Everything I have stated in the book is true. I have signed a contract with a publishing company and my book is currently being edited and printed. At the request of a friend who read my book and wondered if I could be held liable for using real names, I decided to write to the editor of the publishing company and ask. Their response was that I should use fictional names to avoid a potential lawsuit. I do not want to do that, nor do I feel there is anything contained in my book that would be considered untrue, slanderous, or even controversial. The editor went on to say that the printing of my book is nearly completed and for me to change names at this point would cost me money. There was nothing in the contract that related to this subject and I feel that I am being wrongly treated if the publisher expects me to change people's names at this point at a cost to me. What are the laws regarding this, and is it mandatory that I use fictional names in place of real names?

Pat
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 06:59 PM

You should have thought about changing the names before submission of your manuscript. If the book is almost finished printing why should the publisher absorb the cost of changing the names in the book? Do you realize just how expensive a proposition like that is? Thousands of dollars. Do you have that kind of money to have everything reprinted just on someone else's say so?

The publisher is definitely not mistreating you. If anything, you should be very grateful that someone wants to publish your book these days knowing just how much it does cost to print up a book in hopes that anybody will buy it.

And no, it is not mandatory that you use fictional names in a non fiction book.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2009, 06:19 AM
    Hello p:

I wrote a book. It ISN'T the same when you use fictitious names. Your publisher used the word "should" and not must, therefore in my view, you don't have to change the names.

Sounds to me like you have more trouble from your publisher than you would from one of your friends whose name you used. Let me know if they REFUSE to continue to print if you refuse to change it.

excon
    Hurtful Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2011, 06:56 AM
    A book was just written that had a very bad section about one of my family members. We are very upset. It was all true but involves one of my brothers suicides. I am wondering if I can sue for emotional distress. I really think it is wrong to use real names. Yea you might sell more books by using the real names but it is extremely hurtful and upsetting.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2011, 08:13 AM
    This thread is from 2009, long dead. I believe the question was answered correctly.

Do you have a question?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using real people in fiction [ 3 Answers ]

What is the position if you want to use real people as bit players in a novel? For instance, if I have one of my characters meet President Obama, or go on the Oprah show, or get interviewed by Jeremy Paxman? I assume they can watch specific televison programmes without a problem, but can I name...

Trying to remember a fiction book title [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to remember the tile of a book that I read in elementary school, but I can't for the life of me remember the title or the name of the author... I can however, describe it to you. The setting takes place in what seems to be the 1800s... Its actually a group of families who agrees to...

Writing a book using real names [ 1 Answers ]

Im writing abook about a true event. Can I get in trouble or sued for using real names?

View more questions Search