Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barblb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Canadian Flour vs. American Flour
    What is the difference between Canadian all-purpose bleached flour and American all-purpose bleached flour? All of my baking using American flour comes out dense and heavy. Is there anything I can add to rectify the problem?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 28, 2009, 11:46 AM

You will have to give up using all purpose flour and go to the different blends for cakes, cookies, etc. It isn't all that much work and not that much more expensive if you buy each one in the bulk food store. Some of the varieties are much lighter and tastier and you can even tell this by running the flour through your hands.

I don't know the difference between the two you mention. I am Canadian and I have never heard of either.

I don't know hat brands the bulk food store use, but are the best varieities I have found for baking in a long time.

I make my own bread, so only use a special blend for that. I don't know, I am not buying in on any sort of new age thing. I just like the different flours. There are better grinding processes then there ever were before and many different hybrid wheats then before too. Maybe that is the difference.

If you want to compare what our great grand mothers used as to now, I can assure you the best cooks always blended their own flours to get the best out of what they were making.

Here is a website, I hope is helpful, explaining different blends of flour for different purposes: www.miketodd.net/encyc/cooking-ingredients
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Apr 16, 2009, 11:31 AM
    My ex-wife was Canadian, and she always used to say the same thing. Me, the only thing I noticed was Canadian beer was better!

They grow different strains of wheat in the US and Canada. One wheat has a higher protein content, but I'm not sure which one.

Generally, high protein flour is used for breads, and lower protein flours are used for cakes.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 10:44 AM

Tickle I can't open the site to see the different blends of flour. Has it moved?
    Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 12:16 PM

Hi Just, you will have to cut and paste in the address bar. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to suggest. If it doesn't, let me know, and I will see what I can come up with :)

Tick
    Scrittore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2011, 07:48 AM
    Canadian four has a higher protein content than American flour - and as such - will absorb more liquid so make slight adjustments for that in recipies.
    Scrittore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2011, 07:50 AM
    Canadian four has a higher protein content than American flour - and as such - will absorb more liquid so make slight adjustments for that in recipies.

(Sorry for the double-entry that will apear elsewhere on the board - meant for this response to appear only in answer to this question)
    willardco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2012, 03:27 PM
    The BEST flour you will find , is from the historic Arva Flour Mill (www.arvaflourmill.com) .
    They mill with the same roller mills that were installed in 1904. It is unique and they mill spelt too. They are now selling on line with free shipping in Ont and Que. Once you try it, you will never use anything else. It's all natural as well.
    Brandon
    Chardel Posts: 93, Reputation: 13

Apr 18, 2012, 03:26 PM
    Choosing the right flour for the job will help rectify the problem when using American flour.. You could also try sifting the flour first to see if that makes a difference if buying and using a bunch of different flours is not a viable option for you.
    Kelsey Clinkerz Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2012, 04:51 PM
    In Canada, the flour has a higher protein percentage because of the different types of soil. Canadian flour is all I use, and I swear by it. IF you were a biologist you would understand about the different types of soil. It has to do with the protein levels in the soil, and worms and stuff. I find American soil is very blan in flavour, and I prefer Canadian flour because it usually has a higher fiber content. Different countries also come from different backgrounds as well, Canada grows a hybrid version of the wheat America does. Essentially, Canada grows a newer, more effective flour that America
    Expert

Jun 7, 2012, 05:01 PM
    Your explanation doesn't hold water, errr flour. You have to back your post up with scientific evidence as to why Canadian flour is better then US. Kelsey, we are on the same continent. Wheat fields directly across the border are basically the same as in Canada.

Check your dates, this thread is from 2009. OP won't be back to read your input.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference in American and other FLOUR [ 3 Answers ]

Are there any differences in all purpose flour and other flour? All my recipes are American but I'm having trouble finding the flour I'm used to using (Gold Medal). I can find strong flour from Canada and plain flour from Australia. My main concern is how close to Gold Medal are these other types...

Self raising flour v plain flour + baking powder? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm making jam drops with my kids and I only have self raising flour in the pantry can I use it instead of the plain flour and baking powder?

Plain flour vs all purpose flour [ 1 Answers ]

Most of my cake recipes call for plain flour. When I use all purpose flour my cakes do not turn out the way they used to. The cake is not as fluffy as it used to be. Should I add baking powder to the recipes?

Is it Plain Flour or SR Flour? [ 2 Answers ]

I have some flour stored in an unnamed container. Is there some way to tell if it if SR Flour or Plain Flour apart from cooking with it?

View more questions Search