Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tombel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2011, 08:55 AM
    Losing water in toilet bowl
    After we flush the toilet water fills the bowl as normal, however after an hour or two there's no water left in the bowl. I've checked for leaks but have found none.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2011, 09:06 AM
    If it slowly leaks down and you see no water, the interior trapway probably has a crack and the water leaks down into the floor drain. It could also be a clogged vent and water running past the toilet pulls the trap dry. One way to check the internal crack is to fill the bowl, put food coloring in the bowl and then let it drain down. Pull the toilet, turn it upside down and look for color stains in the trapway.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 1, 2011, 10:50 AM
    There could also be a factory defect in the bowl. Sometimes in casting the bowl there is a small bubble in the china. Instead of junking the bowl the manufacture will put a porcelain patch over the hole and send it on through. On occasion the patch will fail allowing the water to seep out of the bowl. If that's the case you would have a full bowl after you flushed and the bowl filled but some time later you would notice a drop in the bowl level. The only other thing might be if you dropped something in the bowl and cracked it. If you're worried about where the water's going, in both cases it drains back down into the sewer and not under the bowl on the floor. To check the bowl must be pulled, filled and put up on saw horses. You can then see if there's any leakage from the bowl. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 1, 2011, 02:36 PM
    Good answers so far, this could also be a bad vent stack. If you stack is clogged out fixtures, when drained, can siphon the water out of your toilet. Does the toilet drain by itself if absolutely nothing else is being used?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 1, 2011, 05:08 PM
    If it were a bad vent you would hear a gurgling sound from the toilet bowl. Do you hear such a noise?
    Besides it takes a hour to seep out. A blocked vent would pull the water out as another fixture drained or flushed.
    My take on this is either a cracked bowl or a factory defect, Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 2, 2011, 09:21 AM
    Agreed but we are still fishing here. I doubt if the OP stands over the toilet an actually watches it for an hour. It may be a hour before someone else flushes another toilet or uses another drain. Now if Tombel would come back with some answers maybe we could make some progress.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet bowl losing water [ 4 Answers ]

My toilet bowl begans to loose water after I flush it. It flushes good but once it fills, water slowley leaks out. The floor does not get wet, so I can't figure out way this happens.

Toilet Bowl Losing Water [ 6 Answers ]

Thanks for looking. Just installed 2 new toilets. Each one is losing water from the bowl. Also, when I flush one, the water in the other one starts to drop or has a wave action Went to the roof vent with hose and flushed for a long time.Then sent the running hose in 19 feet ( which should...

Toilet running and bowl losing water [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I'm having a problem with my toilet running water (it won't shut off after re-filling) and then the bowl slowly losing water. This toilet, an American Standard, is on the 10th floor of an apartment building. I have already replaced the flapper so everything is good with that. The toilet...

Cracked toilet bowl & low water level in toilet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, So I've got two questions regarding two toilets and would appreciate any and all help as I can't afford someone to come in at this point to fix it for me. 1. I managed to drop a crystal (decoration) ball into the toilet which cracked the bowl so a chunk of the porcelain just fell...

I am losing tolit bowl water [ 2 Answers ]

Tolit bowl water going down

View more questions Search