Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stat101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 08:01 PM
    Statistics question
    Original data: 50,60,70,80,90,100

Suppose that a single additional observation is obtained. If the new average is 47.58, what is the value of the additional observation? (Assume that the new average is calculated using the original data shown above and the new observation).
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Sep 29, 2011, 09:07 PM
    I'm sure you know the formula to find the average; you just sum up all of the data and divide by the total number of observations. The only thing different here is that rather than finding the average of the six numbers you were given, you're going to find the average of seven numbers, six of which you already know and the seventh which is an unknown variable x. You've been told what the new average is, so write out an equation where the left side is the formula for the average of the seven numbers and the right side is the new average, then just solve for x.

(50 + 60 +... + 100 + x)/7 =47.58

Assuming you wrote down the problem correctly, none of those multiple choice answers are even remotely close to the right answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question About Statistics [ 1 Answers ]

PRACTICE PROBLEM I WAITING LINE THEORY Chapter 14 C&S bank can operate up to 4 drive-in teller windows. Currently each window costs $10/hr. to operate. Each teller window can serve a customer on the average in 72 seconds. Bank customers arrive at the drive-in service system at an average...

Need help with statistics question... [ 1 Answers ]

Mean height of men, mean 68 inches and a standard deviation of 2.5 inches. What is the probability of a man selected at random will have a hight above 72 inches? A sample of 49 meant, what is the probaility that the mean hight is greater than 67 inches (using standard score table)?

Question is about statistics [ 3 Answers ]

my teacher said that stars are infinite so they are continuous variable... I agree they are infinite but they are in whole numbers so why are not they discrete variable... like number of stars and number of books are same in counting both are counted and stars are not measured they are counted so...

Ask a question in statistics [ 0 Answers ]

I have a question in regression analysis In regression analysis the coefficient of determination (R^2) is good (0.8). That means 80% correlation exists between dependent & independent variables. But, acual Y values & predicted Y values (dependent variable is Y that is to be estimated) many values...

View more questions Search