Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    takakoiwamoto Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2011, 06:24 AM
    How to determine if french drain is working
    I have installed a french drain recently about 4-5 feet from the house using EZ-drain system. (my house was buile in 1968) I also have an interior drain in the basement w/o sump pump (my house sits on the hill and uses natural gravity to carry out the water.) How do I determine whether the newly installed french drain is working? There is a small gap (interior drain) between the wall and the foundation I can stick the finger. Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 23, 2011, 07:38 AM
    If you're asking how to test the new french drain then take a hose and see if it drains away. French drains are simple. If you drain slopes to a outlet away from your house it should work just fine. Good luck, Tom

Sep 23, 2011, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    If you're asking how to test the new french drain then take a hose and see if it drains away. French drains are simple. If you drain slopes to a outlet away from your house it should work just fine. Good luck, Tom
    If I water the french drain, it will run off to the both side of the french drain. Because, it is covered with clay soil forming a small mound. I have to wait until the rain settles it to test .
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 23, 2011, 10:37 AM
    The way you describe it you should have no problems. In my book you've done everything by the book. Good luck, Tom

Sep 23, 2011, 11:00 AM
    The way you describe it you should have no problems. In my book you've done everything by the book. Good luck, Tom
    Thank you so much. It gives me a great peace of mind.
    I inserted shims to the gap (between the wall and the foundatin of interior drain) at several locations and checked after rain thinking that may help determining the french drain's performance. I found that some shims were wet. Does that mean the french drain is not working? I wasn't sure. Some shims were supposed to be wet because they were in the drain?
    I greatly appreciate your opinion. Thanks again in advance.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 23, 2011, 03:39 PM
    I don't have enough information to answer. Tell me more about these :shims". Were they simply sticks shoved in the top of the drain? How far down were they? Seems to me if they were wet the drain caught the rain and drained it off, Could you be more specific about your concerns? Back to you, Tom

Sep 23, 2011, 04:25 PM
    I don't have enough information to answer. Tell me more about these :shims". Were they simply sticks shoved in the top of the drain? How far down were they? Seems to me if they were wet the drain caught the rain and drained it off,. Could you be moire specific about your concerns? Back to you, Tom
    There is a gap(1/2 to 3/4 inches) between the wall and foundation which runs though out the perimeter of the basement. I was told that was the interior drain. I have a problem, cracks, water stain, and bowed/tilt, with one wall. So I installed the french drain and of course reinforced the wall. The shim goes down abouIt 5 inches and low 2 to 3 inches are wet.

I hope this is specific enough. Thank you.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 24, 2011, 05:30 AM
    There is a gap(1/2 to 3/4 inches) between the wall and foundation which runs though out the perimeter of the basement. I was told that was the interior drain.
    Interior drain! And if this space( interior drain) loads up with water what stops it from seeping through the cracks you mentioned back into your basement? Have you water proofed the basement walls so this couldn't happen? Is your french drain set up like this?(see image) Please explain how many pipes and what size they are that carry the water away from the french drain and where do they terminate . Regards, Tom
    Attached Images

Sep 24, 2011, 07:51 AM
    Interior drain! And if this space( interior drain) loads up with water what stops it from seeping through the cracks you mentioned back into your basement? Have you water proofed the basement walls so this couldn't happen? Is your french drain set up like this?(see image) Please explain how many pipes and what size they are that carry the water away from the french drain and where do they terminate . Regards, Tom
    The interior drain came with the house (built in 1968) and I assume (and also was told) that it drains out(slope down) to the lake behind the house. The french drain was installed by the land scaper I hired. He used EZflow system. It also drains out to the lake. Thank you.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 24, 2011, 08:47 AM
    I was going to ask about perforated drain pipe but you already answered it. I wish I could add anything to your set up but there's nothing to add. Just wait for the first hard rain and check how it's draining out of the pipes. Let me know, Good luck, Tom

Sep 24, 2011, 09:10 AM
    I was going to ask about perforated drain pipe but you already answered it. I wish I could add anything to your set up but there's nothing to add. Just wait for the first hard rain and check how it's draining out of the pipes. Let me know, Good luck, Tom
    Thank you so much for your help. I have one more question. When raining, I should go out and check the french drain pipe at the daylight, and water should flow out from there, right? I know that the amount of water flowing out depends on how hard it rains, but does water from the french drain flow out like downspout? The downspout also exit to the lake, daylight. Thank you.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 25, 2011, 05:50 PM
    If your internal and french are doing their job you should see a flow of water from both drains when it rains, Don't forget you should be losing a lot of water out of the perpetrated drain pipes. Good luck, Tom
    MedTombob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2011, 01:53 PM
    A contractor proposed installing a finger drain along my poured basement wall and brick .Does anyone know what this is.have any pics or know where I can get detail of this drain
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 28, 2011, 02:29 PM
    I think you may mean french drain (see image). French drains collect rain water run off and pipe it to a lower discharge point. For Example, in the above thread to his lake. Where would you drain yours to?
    If the contractor has no place to terminate the drain line I can give you a dandy way to disperse the water. It's call a "do it yourself dry well". Interested? Back to you. Tom
    Attached Images

Sep 29, 2011, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MedTombob View Post
    A contractor proposed installing a finger drain along my poured basement wall and brick .Does anyone know what this is.have any pics or know where I can get detail of this drain
    Before you spend any money on the interior drain (drain in the basement), start from outside. I had the same situation that the contructor was suggesting the interior drain and sump pump to solve the wet/humid problem in the basement. Check gutters/down spouts, grading, and the exterior french drain. Stop the water coming in before it gets in the basement. And then, you should look into the interior drain.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 29, 2011, 08:39 AM
    I agree with Tak,
    Install the french drain and wait for the first big rain. If it keeps your basement dry that an internal drain and sump pump isn't needed. Good luck, bTom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Combine sump pump drain line with french drain? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sump pump that pumps washing machine water and heat pump condensate to a dry well in the middle of my back yard. At least that is what I believe is the situation. There is a drain line from the sump pump directed to the an area with a roundish berm that is about 5' x 5' length and width...

Determine Working Capital from a partial balance sheet [ 12 Answers ]

Presented below is a partial trial balance for the Kansas Instruments Corporation at December 31, 2011. Account Title Debits Credits Cash 21,000 Accounts receivable 134,000 Raw materials 31,000 Note receivable 107,000 Interest receivable 4,100 ...

Determine Working Capital from a partial balance sheet [ 1 Answers ]

Presented below is a partial trial balance for the Kansas Instruments Corporation at December 31, 2011. Account Title Debits Credits Cash 22,000 Accounts receivable 141,000 Raw materials 33,000 Note receivable 114,000 Interest receivable 3,400 Interest payable 4,000 Marketable securities...

How do I determine if my septic drain field was damaged? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had a 25ft delivery truck arrive at my house (while I was not there), and in attempting to turn around on my narrow driveway, backed over my septic drain field. Since the ground was wet from heavy rains, the truck got stuck and dug foot-deep ruts in the yard trying to get out (we had to...

View more questions Search