Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamesearl Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 12:50 PM
    Cost of Hiring Someone to Paint
    We are in the process of redecorating our family room, and two bedrooms. We have asked for estimates to paint these 3 rooms. The rooms are 12X18.5, 12X17 and the 3rd room is 12X14. Also there is a small foyer along with a short hallway. We are providing all the paint. We received one quote of $1700.00 and when I told the painter no, he wanted to work something out to get the job. I refused because I knew he gave us that very high price. We found this person in our local advertisement website under handyman services. We live in the suburbs of Washington, DC. Can anyone tell me what a reasonable estimate would be?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 01:20 PM
    I know that the prices out east coast would be higher than the ones around where I live and work. You have given the floor dimensions. So, by using those, we would be able to arrive at the number of square feet to paint the ceilings and not the walls. We would need to know the square feet of the surface area on the walls to be painted in order to maybe make some comparison in prices. Also to be taken into consideration would be the linear feet on trim that would be usually brushed. Most painters charge more per linear foot of trim as compared to the square feet on walls and doors.

There are even more factors that might come into play here that might account for what you think is too high of a price. If any of the walls are textured at all, then I would be charging a higher price than if they would be perfectly flat. Is applying a primer included in the estimate if it has been determined that a primer is needed? Are the walls and ceilings in perfect condition and not needing repair of any kind?

Jan 28, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    I know that the prices out east coast would be higher than the ones around where I live and work. You have given the floor dimensions. So, by using those, we would be able to arrive at the number of square feet to paint the ceilings and not the walls. We would need to know the square feet of the surface area on the walls to be painted in order to maybe make some comparison in prices. Also to be taken into consideration would be the linear feet on trim that would be usually brushed. Most painters charge more per linear foot of trim as compared to the square feet on walls and doors.

There are even more factors that might come into play here that might account for what you think is too high of a price. If any of the walls are textured at all, then I would be charging a higher price than if they would be perfectly flat. Is applying a primer included in the estimate if it has been determined that a primer is needed? Are the walls and ceilings in perfect condition and not needing repair of any kind?
    The walls are in great shape and the ceilings in two of the rooms do not need to be painted. The family room is getting a darker coat of paint on the walls only. Ceiling and trim will remain the same color. Ceiling does not need to be painted and touch up on the trim. One bedroom just needs a fresh coat of paint on the walls not ceiling, that room will remain the same color. The third room needs to be primed and painted. The hallway and small foyer will remain the same color, ceiling does not need to be painted. I am an OK painter and have done all of our painting. Justed wanted some help and I don't mind paying a fair price; but $1,700 seems very high.
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 02:28 PM
    As I first mentioned, we would still need the square feet of the walls in order to make good comparisons in prices. I would like to add now, that we don't know what the painter who made the estimate was basing his price on. Was it by the square foot? Or just some lump sum figure that wasn't qualified in some way?

Around where I live, pretty much the going cost per square foot on perfectly flat surfaces would be about .70 cents for two coats of paint. For one coat, I would charge .50 cents per square foot, not including the cost of the paint. And, that would not include the product. It would be a very rare situation where a person would not need at least two coats of paint for the paint job to look the best. Out where you are, the price may be as high as $1.25 per square foot for two coats for perfectly flat surfaces, and that might not also include the cost of the paint.

So, let's figure a hypothetical situation here just to give an example. Let's say that we have a room where all four walls are 8' high and 12' across and that the walls are all perfectly flat. That means that the total square footage of the walls in a room is 384. Figuring 384 sq. ft. x $1.25 gives us a total cost for the painting of the walls in the one room as being $480.00 for two coats.

If using a dark paint over a lighter color, and depending on the sheen of the paint, it's possible that you might have to use three coats in order to get the best results.

Jan 28, 2008, 02:57 PM
    I really did not know it would cost that much to have someone paint a couple of rooms. Maybe I will just make the time to paint because I just got another estimate and he said $1,000 plus paint. As I said I am an OK painter, one of the contractors complimented the work I did in my daughters room. Thanks for the info, if I am being charged these prices by people who are doing side jobs, can you imagine if I contact one of the Painting businesses in the yellow pages.
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 03:11 PM
    I gave you the prices that I did based upon what I know professional painter would charge because one of the things that I do for a living is that I am a painting contractor. I am also listed in the Yellow Pages. Your prices of course are going to vary if you are contacting handymen of various kinds.

If I were the one getting someone to paint for me, and was looking to find a handyman to do the job, then I would want to have a few references for painting jobs from them, as well as a chance to actually see examples of their work, be it in pictures or in person. I would also get at least four estimates and call painting contractors to see what the going rate is per square feet for perfectly flat surfaces is in your area. I only took a guess as to what the price might be in your area based upon conversation I had with a general contractor on the east coast.

I wish you well in your efforts!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 03:34 PM
    Several things to find out, are they insured, ( for example if that gallon of paint goes on your rug) do they have insurance to cover it. If they have workers do they have workers comp insurance on them.

Also cheapest is not always good or best.
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 03:38 PM
    Those are good and important points Fr_Chuck!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 09:00 PM
    I also live in suburb of D.C. Wife just paid paint contractor $1150 to paint to paint a two story foyer (10 X 10) and 16 X 16 bedroom included ceilings. I objected but got tired of arguing. She didn't want me on ladder. I think the price was OK but no great bargain. Contractor used labors pickup at paint store. Did OK job, only a couple of paint drops on carpet. You can get same labors hanging out around paint stores for about $12 per hour if you are inclined to go that way. Two people painting one room a day would put you at about $600. Contractor has to make profit so I would expect about $1000 going contractor route.

Foot note. I think you were wise to not negotiate with that contractor
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Jan 28, 2008, 09:56 PM
    If you feel you can do a competent job, I'd grab a roller, brush and some trays and get busy!

It's expensive to hire professionals. That doesn't mean it's a rip-off, that's just the way the world works. Some contractors also charge an additional fee for small jobs, since they still have all of the same setup and layout for less of a return.

If you can do it, save your money and paint your rooms yourself. With the money you save, you can pop for a couple other improvements that you wouldn't otherwise be able to.

Thanks,
    Json
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 29, 2008, 08:20 AM
    In the Chicago area the uninsured guys charge around $.50 per square foot and the insured pros charge double that or more. Frequently you get what you pay for but not always. I hired an insured pro to paint an entire condo I was flipping and did not ask enough questions. When I returned a few days later it was obvious he had sprayed the job.
    poohbear1st Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Nov 29, 2008, 09:55 AM
    We went and hired 2 Mexicans (where they stand in areas waiting on someone to pick them up for any work). We paid them each $100.00 ( $12.50 an hour for an 8 hour a day job) a day to paint 3 bedrooms and front and back door plus lunch. They got it all done that day and nice job plus we had them come back the next day and raked leaves front and back ( a very big yard and lots of leaves) for $100.00 plus lunch again. We have their phone numbers so we can call them anytime if we have more work for them to do. If you have people like this that stand on the corners looking for work, I would recommend this and don't forget to pay them cash and you have to take them back also to the spot you picked them up at. Our 2 guys we had were very good and nice and spoke broken english but understood what we needed done and was very glad we asked them if they would come back the next day. We served them sub sandwiches for lunch and they really enjoyed that we had hired them for a few days work. One of them said some people pay them dirt cheap and said we paid them good plus the lunch. Some of them don't have anything to eat all day and they were very thankful and very good workers. Hope this helps and you can save a lot of money by not hiring a professional because they do charge way too much and the guys we got off the corner were just as good and knew what they were doing, no spills, no streaks, baseboards were great!!
    juliematthews7 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 08:46 PM
    I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Here's how you do the math. Let's just do one of your rooms, the 12' X 18.5' room. That is two walls that are 12'X 8'ft high PLUS two other walls that are 18.5'X 8'ft high. That is (approx) 480 sq ft of wall space. (If you painted the ceiling, it would be 12'X18.5=approx 100 sq.ft... you're not counting the WALLS from top to bottom).

At a (minimum) of $1.00 a square foot (and the going rate is $1.25 a sq ft where I live) that room alone should cost you over $500.00, just for the walls. I don't know whether you're having the trim and shoe and base molding done, but that would make it even more, not less, you DO NOT take away from the openings (they still have to be cut it).

I'm just a single mom in Kansas City and painting a room is expensive. So three rooms, plus the hallway for $1700. You've got to be kidding me. It's a good price.
    knthelper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2010, 10:13 AM
    I just want to offer a little insight to the painting world. My husband & I are a self employed home improvements company & you just have to keep in mind that a company must pay taxes, labor, gas, materials for the jobs they do. So its not like they (we) are able to just put that amount of money in our pockets, because that's just not the way it works. I hope this helps for future jobs that any of you may have.
    Thanks
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2010, 12:23 PM
    Just so everyone knows who continues to post on this thread...

It's now very old and archived, so it's no longer visible on the listing of currently active threads.

If a person wants what they post to get noticed the most then, it would be best to start a new thread. Not that what they post on this thread won't get noticed at all, but that what's on the newest threads will get the most exposure.

Thanks!
    ErikD Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 07:50 AM
    After reading all your responses I was just blown away by some of the prices and some of the customers thoughts. So let us all think like a contractor or handyman for just a minute.
    You have learned a skill that you are able to turn into a service for others to save them time and any foul ups that make a job cost the home owner MORE money (spilt paint, drips on furniture, ETC.) Besides the fact most people who do something day in and day out are better at it then the tinkerer. So this is now your job. You go out look at a job to paint a bedroom, the bedroom is 12X12 and has 8 foot ceilings as the one contractor said 384 sq.ft.
    A gallon of paint is suppose to spread 250 sq. ft. I have never gotten 250 out of one more like 200 to 220 but lets just say 250 like the paint can says it will do. So I the painter know I am going to have 4 gallons of paint to do your entire room. YES! 4 Gallons. 2 Gallons for that color you want on your 384 sq ft of walls. Then another Gallon to paint that Flat white on your 144 sq feet of ceiling and then here comes the Gallon everyone forgets. Gloss white for your “trim” you know your base boards, molding and window seals. Even though I'm not going to use a whole gallon for the “trim” it is still cheaper to buy a gallon instead of 2 quarts.
    So know I have a hundred dollars wrapped up in your job and then some, because I as a professional painter use Mineral Sprits to clean my brushes and rollers and equipment. So a gallon of Mineral sprits is 25 bucks. Then there are cost I have that you don't even know about. I have about 3500 dollars of equipment to paint with in my truck. Besides the fact I pay 125 dollars a month for 2 million dollars of business insurance and 145 dollars a month for vehicle insurance to run a business vehicle and renew a half million dollar bond every year at 500 a year. Besides I pay Uncle Sam, Workmans comp and state tax a percentage of what I make each month. There goes 40%. Then I also pay a ad in a local paper and phone book.
    So let me put it to you like this in the month of August out of 31 days I worked 22 days painting I made Gross 12000 dollars (545 a day), after I paid for all my supplies I was left with 8600 dollars I then had to pay my helper, there went 2200 dollars leaving me with 6400 then after paying the 3 thieves (IRS, State, Workmans Comp) I was left with 4240 and then after my insurances and bond deduction I got a big 'ol 3845. Then there is my ads at 400 a month. Hey lets not forget Gas for that Van too. Minus 250.00. I average 145.22 a day. WOW! I bet you make more then that a day and have ½ the headaches. So next time. You want to hire someone and they give you a price and then want to make it cheaper just to get the job, give the man a break he is trying to make a living and every dollar he can make goes right back into our local economy.
    ErikD Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 08:13 AM
    I am not trying to hurt feelings or make someone mad so please don't get started. Juliematthews7your math figures were off 12 X 18.5 is 222 sq ft and 2 walls at 12 ft X 8 ft in highth is 192 and 2 walls 18.5 ft X 8 ft in highth is 296. Total wall sq ft 488 so that is 710 sq ft to paint total (ceiling and walls)poohbear1st What the heck is up with you... Are you for real? I mean will you also sale your land to the china if they had a good price. Heck man don't you care about america and us americans. Don't you understand Americans need work to support their families not Money to send to Mexico.
    hkstroud Why not negotiate? What you only buy one ticket to play the lottery each time it plays? Give a man a chance he is trying to guess what is in your mind for what you are willing to part with. I am sure you have done the same when applying for a job, you negotiated to a salary. Some of the best deals on cars my Grand dad got was over negotiation. The way I look at it if a man is willing on giving you a price and he is willing on dropping the price to a lower amount he is honest cause he wants to work and is willing on taking less to give you the same service/job. He is just trying to make as much as he can. Just like you.
    paint12man Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2011, 05:15 AM
    as a apainting contractor of 30 years we charge a labour price of 35 dollars an hour, that figure is rarely accomplished as we almost always go over the time I estimate,sometimes not by much othertimes too much,I try to keep a lid on the cost so when I look at a job Il think OK 10 hours to do this plus $100 for materials = $450.00 plus taxes,if we have to go a distance of an hours travel and there's 2 guys in a vehicle then its an extra $70 any distance over an hour then gas is added as well,got the picture? This is not a millionaire bussines we make a reasonably good living and give good value we have clients who continually come back and we stay employed all year,all I can say is to you all, ask for recommendations of past work or references, don't bother looking for 4 quotes as all you'll get is the best price,but that's OK if that's what your looking for too,sometimes you get lucky with the best price you may get a guy who's good and just starting his own business and he's hungry,but its unlikely,so there you have it Im from Barrie ontario just 45mins from Toronto in the big city the charges are more toward $40 an hour .hope this gives you an insite
    Lotina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2011, 08:06 PM
    I live in Arlington, VA and I was looking for somebody to paint two of our rooms in our house. I found a couple of people that gave me their estimates , but their prices were crazy ($1400 and more for 12x18 and 12x17 rooms). I don't think painting is an easy job, but it is not impossible either. If you have the time to do it yourself, you should. I don't understand why this people charge so much money for this type of job.
    You can also go to YouTube and find videos where they teach you exactly what to do when you want to pay your living, dinning room, and so on! They do it step by step!
    Good luck!
    jd11162 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2011, 06:47 AM
    As a contractor, there are many factors that I calculate into my estimates. Without actually looking at this job I can't give an exact estimate. 1700 dollars is high. Very high. 564 sq ft at a cost of .50 cents come out to 282.00 dollars. However, that is only if there is no funiture in the way, and the walls are ready for paint. This also does not include trim or a second coat. Moving furniture can increase the cost from 50 to 200 dollars a room. If the walls need prep work, that can add also. If the ceiling has to be painted, that will also add the cost. I can feasibly see how this estimate could be as high as 1300.00 dollars under the worst of cicumstances. However, a good contractor would have added all of these variables in his bid and allowed the homeowner to eliminate things, such as funiture displacement, themselves.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost of end. Inv. And cost of goods sold under average cost [ 1 Answers ]

It's me again! I have another question to the same problem. In case someone else responds, I'll post the problem again. June 1 inv20051000 June 12 purch.30061800 June 23 purch. 50073500 June 30 inv. I need to compute the cost of the ending inventory and the cost of goods sold using the...

Interior paint cost [ 1 Answers ]

I have purchased a 1200 sq ft house 2 bed/2 bath, lr and kitchen. I have been getting estimates on painting the interior. Currently the walls are neutral in color and I have selected neutral colors. I doubt any wall will need two coats as I am using a top quality paint. The woodwork is white...

What prep work is needed to change from oilbase paint to waterbase paint? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything I need to do to prep my kitchen from oilbase paint to water base paint ?

Hiring without being bonded [ 2 Answers ]

Can a business that needs to have it's employees bonded to enter customer's home, legally hire someone who has not been bonded? I stupidly signed a contract with a business before they had all my information - insurance, registration, background check- and decided the job was not for me. They are...

Exterior paint jobs - cost? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to paint the outside of my house and I got a quote from someone in town and I'm a little sketical about the cost. It's a one story, 1400 foot house in San Diego with stucco. The quote I got to power wash, paint the house and paint the trim is $2000. Does this sound right? Seems low to me...

View more questions Search