Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjgblazer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Spayed male dog humping other male dogs. Why?
    My male dog mixed boston terrier/pug. He has been spayed at 4 months old. He never bother females dogs. But when a small male dog comes around he wants to hump her all the time. Why is that? How can I break him from it? I though once spayed they do not have the desire to hump. And why he only does it with a male dog. When he is male. Thank you.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Humping often is about being top dog, not sex. Spay/neutering usually reduces it, but dogs with more drive for dominance will continue. Some dogs with a strong drive for dominance will express it in different ways. In a wolf pack, each wolf has its rank within its gender with very little cross competition. That is why experts always suggest avoiding getting another dog as the same sex as you have. So your boy is just trying to let the other boys know he outranks them. If he hadn't been neutered, he might be more interested in the females. Of course, dogs don't read some of the stuff you have. Some neutered males will still mate with a female in heat. Never any puppies, but sometimes an infection.

You need to give him strong leadership. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position One big mistake many people make with small dogs is to not take them seriously and do obedience training.

Thank you for giving a mixed breed a home. We have too many more nice dog than good homes.
    swiftfml Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Does anyone know what king of infection they are talking about here? My Aunt's Son's Neutered dog is out of control humping his Non-spayed Female housemate. For the last two nights the two dogs have been keeping her up. I was babysitting my cousin's daughter and noticed they seem to hump without ceasing. I have to wonder if it isn't infection related. :S
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2007, 08:20 AM
    I have never heard of it being infection related, and doubt that is the problem. If it is, he certainly needs to get to the vet and get it cleared up. I wonder if the female is in season. Some neutered males will still mate with a female in season. Neutering doesn't remove their instincts. Any mating without the proper precautions can lead to infections in the female. If she is in season or starting to come in season, I would keep them apart. I would also suggest having her spayed as soon as possible to prevent all sorts of problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Male gymnastics [ 2 Answers ]

What do male gymnastis wear to keep their penis in place while they preform?

Male dog peeing [ 7 Answers ]

I have a total of FOUR Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (1 - Fixed female, age 13, 1 , age 2, and two 11 month old puppies, one male and one female) I'm having a devil of a time with the MALE puppy... no matter what I do, he continually marks their sleeping blankets. What can I do? He is healthy...

My male Daschound pup [ 2 Answers ]

My Doxie, Jangles has been in our home for 10 months. He will be 1 yr old. Lately, at times he acts afraid of us, and when I call him to soothe him, he crawls to me almost on his belly. No one at my home would ever hurt Jangles. Recently, about a month ago he was neuterd, I'm not sure if this...

Male attributes [ 8 Answers ]

Is there a way for someone to develop male attributes that were supposed to be passed on to him by his father. But since his father didn't raise him, he didn't acquire those traits. Thanks

View more questions Search