Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2011, 12:24 PM
    What do you think about Netflix latest move?
    Netflix blogged Sunday night that they were splitting up their DVD and Streaming companies and apologized for the way in which they went about raising prices, although they are not bringing those prices down.

From a customer perspective, do you think they will stop the bleeding of lost users?

From a Wall Street perspective, do you think this move will give traders new confidence?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 19, 2011, 12:51 PM
    My older son has a DVD subscription, so I told him to watch his cc bill for any changes in charges.

Why did Netflix make the change in the first place? From what I've gathered, the streaming movies are old flicks and classic TV, i.e. not worth the fees charged.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 19, 2011, 02:38 PM
    We love the streaming, but then I love old movies and old TV shows, we do it more than we do normal TV.

I suspect they are going to sell off the DVD part of the company, but that is just my guess
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 19, 2011, 04:14 PM
    For whatever reason they have lost some really big contributors to their selection choices like Sony, and Starz, the basic idea is still a good one and once the settle on a consistent product, they will have a great following, despite the boobs who are paid big bucks.

The product will sell itself, if they stop screwing it up.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 19, 2011, 04:20 PM
    If any of the other players were in any position, this would be the time to strike, Many of their customers would jump ship right now.
    But I don't think anyone else is positioned to do it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 19, 2011, 04:30 PM
    I read wal mart has started streaming movies even cheaper.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 19, 2011, 04:39 PM
    As far as streaming goes why would you pay for it when you can get it for free?

If you have cable or another provider that allows for it then along with your normal services there are some free ones also.

This is but a few of them

EpixHD - Big On Any Screen

HBO GO. It's HBO. Anywhere.

MAX GO. It?s Cinemax. Anywhere.

I liked netflix while I had it but the new pricing scared me away.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2011, 02:54 AM
    I'm still relatively old school. I go to weekend matinees at the theater ,;and I get DVD's delivered by mail (which wiped out the retail DVD rental markets AND DVD sales overall ). The movie makers have not figured out how to replace that lost market.

That means that studios are less likely to put lots of money into the production of films and many proposed project have recently been deep sixed .
    I will check out those sites above . The biggest waste of my entertainment bucks goes to my local monopoly cable network.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 20, 2011, 04:39 AM
    An interesting take on this whole affair: Netflix: How to completely screw up ? The Register
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2011, 05:02 AM
    With fiber to my house and bittorrent who needs Netflix? :D
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2011, 06:44 AM
    Let's see, they've raised their prices by 60 percent, split the DVD service off into Qwikster and if you use both you'll get separate bills. What's not to love? This cartoon explains it all.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2011, 12:10 PM
    I was planning on subscribing... up until they did that. Changed my mind and decided not to. Not paying twice as much for half the service.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2011, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    With fiber to my house and bittorrent who needs Netflix? :D
    WORD!! 50up 50down
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2011, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    WORD!!!!!!! 50up 50down
    No comment. ;)
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2011, 12:52 PM
    50 up 50 down!! Wow. Is that Verizon FIOS?
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2011, 01:02 PM
    I only have 30/30
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 21, 2011, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    WORD!!!!!!! 50up 50down
    The only thing I have to ask is how many times you actually use that type of connection to its fullest?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 10, 2011, 07:19 AM
    Well that lasted along time

Netflix has canned Qwikster and will be bringing in the spun-off DVD rental operation back into the company's main business.
    Netflix cans Qwikster ? reghardware
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2011, 07:35 AM
    I'm not surprised since that idea went over like a lead balloon.

Next question will be if they will fully recover from that fumble or how bad will any lasting effects be.
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2011, 10:01 AM
    In Crisis Management 101, a company can overcome almost any mistake if they are completely honest about their mistakes and act in a contrite manner, consistently, in every way.

I hope this indicates the board asked for a PR agency to be called in and manage what has been a ham handed approach to date. The brand is very strong, and I think it can weather this self-inflicted damage eventually.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Netflix worth the money? [ 14 Answers ]

I'm considering perscribing to netflix, I'm not sure if I should buy the membership because I thinkit might be too expensive! Can someone please tell me if its worth the money and also how much it would cost to get unlimeted movies for a month? Thanks! :D

Is the latest version of the IMac worth getting? We just got the next latest... [ 2 Answers ]

Is the latest version of the IMac worth getting? We just got the next latest version but I got an email the new Imac has been released. The Apple store is being very nice about - trade it in for the new version or get $300 refund. Any thoughts on what we should do?

Can't play Netflix on IE 8 [ 0 Answers ]

I have an Acer Aspire 5517 with Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium and Verizon High Speed internet service. I also have Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox browsers. Here's my problem: When I want to play Netflix instantly through Firefox I just click on the Netflix icon, make a selection, and begin...

Netflix Streaming from Laptop to TV [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just got Net Flix on my computer now I am trying to stream it on my TV. I have a Samsung 1080P9 DVD player non Blu Ray with a usb connection. My laptop Dell Studio 15 has a HDMI output. Toshiba older TV for now. Can I use the Samsung Link Stick on the DVD player for a wireless...

The best way to receive netflix [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to decide if ROKU is good enough to stream on netflix

View more questions Search