Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hb_92648 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Replacing Leaking Mixet Shower Faucet Handle
    I am trying to replace a leaking Mixet shower faucet. I've somewhat successfully removed the knob by breaking it off. Now I cannot remove the mixing handle/lever. The new one I purchased has a set screw. The original one does not yet it will not budge off the stem so I can get at the hex nut to remove the stem. Is the mixing lever suppose to just slip off? Could our hard water minerals got this stuck on? I have sprayed it with a very good lime scale remover yet it doesn't seem to matter. Can I just use a pipe wrench on the bonnet of the stem to remove the stem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 5, 2008, 09:12 AM
    I have not worked on thgis brand but there is a mechanical connection (screw) that you have overlooked. Try to find maybe a small plastic logo or rubber plug that could be hiding there set screw. If all elsefails contact the manufacturer for a design to show where to look for the screw. Does this valve have an escutcheon plate?

Aug 5, 2008, 09:36 AM
    I have looked for the set screw and cannot find one. The lever maybe screwed onto the stem. There is a plastic piece of the lever that slips/screws onto the stem. I have tried unscrewing it. It only turns so far and then stops. I don't want to use extra force if my thinking that it screws on is wrong.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 5, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Try prying that plastic piece out, there may be a screw under it. Nothing to lose considering how that faucets looks at the moment.

Aug 5, 2008, 09:46 AM
    The plastic piece is what the stem is connected to. My thinking is that the lever handle is screwed onto the stem instead of a set screw.
    ca_houston Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Check the model of your faucet by doing a query on Amazon. They have pictures of several Mixet faucets and they have parts. I just replaced by Mixet shower cartridge this weekend and it was easy.
    You have to remove the large faceplate first - it has a small set screw, Phillips head screw that attaches to the chrome stem. Then pull it straight out. I assume you have already removed the screw that held the handle on the stem, right? Then remove the screw that holds the TEMP knob on. (cover the drain-screws like to fall directly into the drain.)
    Now you should be able to use a pair of slip-pliers to turn the chrome stem, counter-clockwise. The on-off valve might turn at the same time-just keep going. You might have to use another pair of pliers to hold the on-off stem (and turn off the water) while you unscrew the chrome stem.
    After it comes off, you will see a screw (flat head) on each side of the valve. Those are used to turn off the water to the valve (in is off, out is on). The inner valve is supposed to pull straight out, but I had to use a screwing/pulling motion to get mine out.
    The new one pushes straight in - it may have a red dot (up) or just look at the end of the stem and you will see a small channel in the brass - that should face up. Push it all the way in until the brass washer hits the end of the valve. Now you can screw on the new chrom stem. Remember to turn the water to the valve back on (flat head screw in the out position.)
    Hope this works for you.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2008, 09:10 AM
    I am not sure if this picture will help you, good luck.

John

Sorry I was not able to attach the picture to my post, Thanks.

John

Aug 19, 2008, 08:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_houston
    Check the model of your faucet by doing a query on Amazon. They have pictures of several Mixet faucets and they have parts. I just replaced by Mixet shower cartridge this weekend and it was easy.
    You have to remove the large faceplate first - it has a small set screw, Phillips head screw that attaches to the chrome stem. Then pull it straight out. I assume you have already removed the screw that held the handle on the stem, right? Then remove the screw that holds the TEMP knob on. (cover the drain-screws like to fall directly into the drain.)
    Now you should be able to use a pair of slip-pliers to turn the chrome stem, counter-clockwise. The on-off valve might turn at the same time-just keep going. You might have to use another pair of pliers to hold the on-off stem (and turn off the water) while you unscrew the chrome stem.
    After it comes off, you will see a screw (flat head) on each side of the valve. Those are used to turn off the water to the valve (in is off, out is on). The inner valve is supposed to pull straight out, but I had to use a screwing/pulling motion to get mine out.
    The new one pushes straight in - it may have a red dot (up) or just look at the end of the stem and you will see a small channel in the brass - that should face up. Push it all the way in until the brass washer hits the end of the valve. Now you can screw on the new chrom stem. Remember to turn the water to the valve back on (flat head screw in the out position.)
    Hope this works for you.
    The original mixet lever/handle is possibly 25 -30 years old and does not have a set screw like the new replacement lever. Trust me I have looked for it and scraped away much of our hard water mineral build up. There is now visible set screw. Once I am successful in getting it off I will use the rest of your help in replacing stem valve. Thanks.
    Randy714 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2010, 01:11 PM
    I've got the same issue with the temp lever - can't find the set screw - did anyone ever figure this out?

Nov 10, 2010, 04:53 PM
    I ended up breaking off the handle and eventually found the set screw. If I recall correctly it was underneath by the handle. If I knew it was there I still don't think I would have been able to get a screwdriver near the screw to get it off. Good luck.
    LikeToHelpYou Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Sep 17, 2011, 03:58 PM
    The screw is under the lever!! I used a small mirror and found a Philips screw. You'll need a fairly thin screw driver to fit in there.

No need to remove it completely, just loosen a little and the handle will come off.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 18, 2011, 06:38 AM
    Hi Liketohelpyou... :)

Welcome to Askmehelpdesk and thank you for posting your answer, but in this case, Randy asked about that screw back in 2010. I'm going to bet that he has found it by now... or at least I hope so!

Anyway, in the future, check the dates of posts/threads by looking in the upper left hand corner of each post/thread and then you'll know you are posting to people that will actually respond back to you for your effort, OK?

See you around the pages...

Mark
    edwoodca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 08:59 PM
    From LikeToHelpYou in this other thread: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/replacing-leaking-mixet-shower-faucet-handle-245545-2.html

There's a small screw BEHIND the metal mixing lever. The more "modern" plastic levers have the screw on the front, 'cause they realized their original design was lame.
    edwoodca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 09:09 PM
    Photo of the hidden screw to release the metal Mixet temperature mixing lever.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ewIMG_7420.jpg

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 15, 2011, 05:59 AM
    Hi ewoodca and welcome to The Plumbing Page on AMHD.
    You piggybacked on a 3 year old dead thread. Before you post look in the upper left hand corner for the date.. Thank you, Tom
    MrTuly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2011, 11:22 PM
    The screw for the temperature control handle is under the handle. (There is a hollow space under the handle.) You can use a very small mirror to look behind the handle and you will see a phillips head screw. It is going to be corroded in place and difficult to unscrew.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 26, 2011, 07:37 AM
    Hi MrTuly and welcome to The Plumbing Page on AMHD.
    Before you post look in the upper left hand corner for the date. Thanks Tom
    bigschlenker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2013, 06:34 PM
    I had the same problem but I figured it out. There is no screw and it just just stuck in place. You pull the handle directly off just wiggle it until you get the handle to come loose. Use some lubricant if it is stuck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to replace 'O' rings and Gaskets in Delta Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

My Delta faucet which is probably 30 years old constantly drips. I have replaced the shower head so know it is the faucet. It is a single handle push up for on and twist to the right or left for temperature control. How do I replace the o rings and gaskets? Thank you

3 handle shower faucet replacement [ 2 Answers ]

I just purchased a three handle shower faucet to replace my older worn out three Handle shower faucet. The new faucet came with a new brass shower three way diverter to be installed. Is there any way to use my existing three way shower diverter that is in the wall from my old faucet and adaptor...

Need to replace broken shower faucet handle [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 handle shower faucet system. The hot water handle recently broke off just leaving the metal shaft with a phillips head screw at its end. If I turn this screw counterclock wise to remove it, the hot water turns on. What is my procedure to remove and replace this handle with a new one? ...

Replacing old single shower handle [ 4 Answers ]

We just bought a house and the wife wants the handle replaced. I am not sure of the correct name of this type or style, it's obviously a single handle and it has a lever underneath that goes left or right to switch from shower to bath facet. I'm very handy and was just curious if this is...

Leaking Outdoor Shower Handle [ 1 Answers ]

I have a summer house that we close in the winter. Every year I drain the pipes, take apart all the faucets, and put antifreeze down the drains. This year everything went well except for the outdoor shower. I connected all the pipes and turned the system on and the showers faucet handle began to...

View more questions Search