Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2011, 04:44 PM
    Mole or moles tearing up my yard
    I have what appears to be some very busy moles tunneling up my one side yard. This has been going on for several months now since I blocked off my skirting with an edge. The entire one area is all spongy due to all the tunnels they've been happily digging.
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Sep 17, 2011, 12:03 AM
    (... better a late answer than no answer?)

Moles aren't fun to get rid of. They are kind of cute. They eat bugs and worms, not plants, (but they can tear up a garden). The lethal methods make a mess. And the kinder methods just get whacky. There must be more urban legends on mole control than on any other pest.

The best poison uses a poisonous fake worm. Just the names alone, of the kill traps, are scary: harpoon, scissor-jaw, and choker loop.. . think about it, how repellent is a vibrator, juicy fruit gum, or pickle juice?

This is a great statement I found on the OSU Extension website: "... mole damage could be reduced or eliminated by not encroaching on the mole natural habitat."

Kidding aside, I have never tried to get rid of moles. Gophers, yes. No guarantees, (this worked on a gopher once), but how about flooding your garden? If the mole doesn't pop out half-drowned, then the mud will make it hard for it to move around, and it might leave.

Unfortunately, tough to make this call for me, because I don't know your conditions. I like the suggestion on the OSU site to modify the garden habitat, by taking out the lawn, going natural, and living with the mole.

Sep 17, 2011, 12:19 AM
    Oh, maybe I should mention, that spraying your garden with insecticide to kill the worms and insects is an indirect method of deterring a mole, but just seems like overkill, to me. (and I use pesticides in my work.)... might just work, though.

I'm thinking that another option, and this is just a fresh idea... no guarantees, again. Why not? Try to catch the mole making its surface runs and pop it out with a shovel. Can't tell you what time to go out and hunt. Maybe when the air is crisp and clean. Don't know why, but what better time to be outdoors?

Oh geez, but what do you do with a live mole? Maybe I should've said, pop IT with a shovel, that is, if you have the cojones. Problem with releasing a mole in someone else's yard, is that you're releasing a mole in someone else's yard. See, what I said... It's not fun getting rid of a mole, on your face or in the garden.

Seriously, the OSU Extension Site is pretty thorough on control methods.

Sep 17, 2011, 12:38 AM
    Sorry, me again...

I just noticed this AskMe thread on moles and I think that 21boat's pit trap method just might work - [essentially] Sink an empty dog food can, coated with vaseline, as a pit trap, and bait with chunky peanut butter; place it to intersect an active run. Surprising, that peanut butter works for bait. Was the dog food can, "Meaty bits", or "Prime Select"? Hey, how about mashed worms from the bait & tackle?

Oh yeah... Whaddya do with a live mole? Buy a pet snake?
    BrokenD Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2012, 06:00 AM
    Put juicy fruit gum in there tunnel

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to catch an armadillo that is tearing up my yard at night? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a cat trap-type cage but have been unsuccessful!

Getting rid of moles in my yard [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know of any DIY methods for getting rid of moles in my yard? Thanks for the help!

Front Yard Moles [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if those battery operating molechaser you put in the ground really works to scare those moles off? My front yard has lots of connecting small mountains. I NEED HELP, PLEASE HELP ME. Thank you.

Yard Moles [ 6 Answers ]

I have a BIG problem with yard moles. I would like to have any advise. I cannot afford all the "stuff" like stakes and traps. I was wondering if anyone has any "home remendies" to get rid of these. My neighbor also has them very mad. Sue

View more questions Search