Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LizTav Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2009, 10:52 PM
    Tax on Wire Transfer from Overseas
    I am a US citizen living abroad. I keep a US checking account in the state of Idaho. Would a wire transfer from a foreign insurance company to this account be subject to tax or other scrutiny? The amount would be $100,000 or more.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 01:20 PM
    Yes, that amount of money WILL cause some scrutiny. However, if you inform the bank it is coming, they will forward you the necessary forms to complete to properly account for the money.

The $100K may or may not be subject to income taxes; it depends on the nature of the insurance disbursement.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 01:29 AM

There is no tax involved when you transfer money. However, you must file Form Form TD F 90-22.1 on or before June 30, 2009.
    United States Treasury Regulation 31 CFR 103 require that every United States person file this form TD F 90-22.1 if at any time during 2008, you have an interest in or a signature or other authority over a financial account in a foreign country, such as a bank account, securities account, or other financial account and the total amount at any time in the year was $10,000 or more.
    Read Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 07:30 AM
    Agreed; however, the form you will need to file for the money transfer is Form 3520, and that is filed with the bank receiving the transfer.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 01:27 PM

What kind of insurance policy does the amount received relate to? Life insurance? Did someone else die and you received life insurance proceeds or did something else occur. Please explain.
    monem Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2011, 05:48 PM
    I have an online fund transfer account with the Citic Bank of china and I want to transfer the funds back to my country New Zealand. I have been advised that I will need to pay 10.000.00 USD before the funds can be transferred. They have also asked me to pay the full amount upfront and state that it cannot be deducted from the fund itself because of an insurance cover that stops them from accessing it prior to transfer.
    Is this correct or not please.
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 15, 2011, 10:54 AM
    Is the account in a U.S. bank, or is it in China?
    monem Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2011, 09:04 PM
    The money is in the citic Bank of China.
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 16, 2011, 06:08 AM
    By your answer, that means the transfer is from China to New Zealand.

That being the case, I cannot answer your question, because U.S. tax law does NOT come into play.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overseas Money Transfer/Gift [ 50 Answers ]

I am employed in the US but not a US citizen. My mother, who is not a US citizen either and lives overseas, would like to gift me money by sending it as a wire transfer from her account overseas to mine in the US. Assuming the amount is between US $50K - $100K, what would be my IRS Tax...

Overseas Wire Transfer [ 4 Answers ]

I have an overseas account that where I wish to transfer funds to the United States. What is my tax liability on this if any? Thanks.

International wire transfer fee [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I want to send 2500 US dollars to China, how much fee should I pay, I want to choose a cheapest way, and which bank would be the cheapest, such as western union, city back or back of America? Thanks

International wire transfer [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a bank or banking service that either charges a minimal amount Or no charge for an international wire transfer. I recently conducted one at my bank, and The bank got $45 (USD) for the transfer, and by the time the money reached the foreign bank, $32 (USD) were missing from...

View more questions Search