Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    midak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 02:16 PM
    2006 - Tax return
    Hi,
    I am from India, I entered US in October 17th 2006 with H1 visa. This is my first entry to US.
    Would like to know (for tax return) whether I am Non Resident alien or Resident alien.
    Which form I need to use 1040NR or 1040EZ for tax return?

And I am married but wife is not staying with me in US (she is in India). In this case should I file my tax return as single or married.

Thanks in advance,
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 16, 2007, 10:40 AM
    You CAN file jointly with your wife and you BOTH can choose to be treated as resident aliens. This will allow you to claim the $10,300 double Standard Deduction plus yours and your wife's personal exemption ($3,300 X 2), for total exemptions of $16,900. However, you will have to wait until late May, 2007 to file, because you have not yet the 183-day Substantial Presence Test.

However, in doing so, you make ALL of your world-wide income for BOTH of you subject to U.S. taxes. This must be considered before making this choice.

Otherwise, you will file as a non-resident alien (Form 1040NR-EZ), claiming ONLY your own personal exemption and whatever itemized deductions for which you qualify.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax filing when on both F1 and H1-B in 2006 [ 3 Answers ]

I am a resident of India. In 2006 I was on F1 status until October 2006 and then on H1-B status from Oct 2006. My husband who is also an Indian citigen is on F1 status for the year 2006. How do I file the tax returns, joint or single? Which form I have to use? Can I go for standard deductions...

May I claim my parennts as my dependent for 2006 return using first year choice? [ 3 Answers ]

All tax experts: I am a permanent resident in usa, married and plan to file 2006 tax return using married jointly. My parents came to USA in NOV 20th, 2006 to visit us and live with us until November 2007. I provide them all the living costs. May I claim them as my dependents using...

Work and Travel - tax return 2006 [ 1 Answers ]

I was on a Work and Travel program in 2006. I am from Bulgaria and would like to know about the itemise deductions some more. I read aboput that I can use personal exemptions on the amount of 3300 USD for 2006 and itemise deductions. Is this correct? Can I put my work and travel program cost and...

Tax filing for 2006 [ 5 Answers ]

Hi: My husband and I came to the US on Sept2000 with an F1, and travel to Costa Rica (CR) every year for 20-30 days in dec/jan.Been filing married filing separate 1040NREZ as advised at my University.No treaty exists with CR so each of us only claim the standard deduction ($3200 for 2004).I will...

Tax Return Till march 31 2006 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I'm on H1-B, I'm going back to india and may not come back to US So I want to clear all my tax dues I want to fill the tax return till march 31 2006, how Can I do that and I don't have a W4 form for the perion Jan06 - marc 06 Thanks Sukhmeet

View more questions Search