Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    riff42 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2009, 04:43 PM
    Craftsman 17.5Kohler Engine, not getting fuel into engine
    Morning all. My 2007ish 17.5hp Craftsman mower was running perfect. Died on me once, took awhile to get started, and finished the lawn. Last time, it died, and would not restart at all.
    Checked the fuel lines and the filter, up until the carb bowl. I empty it, try to start, and it does fill up.
    I add an ounce or 2 of gas into the carb and it starts up until the fuel is used, and dies.
    I check the carb solenoid, and it does switch (sounds like it at least when all assembled.
    I can't figure out how the hell to take off the carb linkages, so I can't pull it OFF the engine and check if there are any blocks in the jet/etc.

Is that the one thing I should do next? Obviously the fuel gets to the bowl, and the engine starts when fuel is poured in the carb... but I can't figure out past that.

What exactly should I look at in the carb? Where is the jet? How the heck do you take off the 2 valve linkages!!

Thanks. I can't stand cutting my entire lawn with a 20yr old almost dead push mower (cracked body, reinforced with carbon fiber plate, but is still cracking!! Digs into the ground if I push it wrong)
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 25, 2009, 12:00 PM

Hi,
    If fuel get to the carb, it is not there. If the solenoid works, it should get to the jets. That leaves only trash in the jets.
    Generally the carb is on studs and held on by nuts. Remove the nuts and air cleaner base, slide the carb out off the studs (it is a tight/close fit) and rotate clockwise to loosen the throttle link, a pair of pliers will unhook the lash spring, rotate again (usually bowl toward engine) to loosen the choke link.
    Picture attached and jet is above solenoid. Try the manual at:
    http://www.asberry.net/files/TP-2339-D.pdf
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Attached Images

Sep 25, 2009, 12:04 PM
    THANK YOU!! I hope that is all what is wrong with it.

Sep 29, 2009, 04:50 PM

So, after taking all apart as I could, I noticed at one point, there was no gas in the filter, and the bowl didn't refill itself like it did before. This was after I blew fuel from the filter into the carb... it started! I saw gas come out of the jet!! But it stopped, and died...
    So I started blowing all the lines out, including from the filter to the tank... which pressurized it... and then sprayed fuel all over me. Yay. Wait... that shouldn't happen.
    After the bowl was filled, it ran... and then died. As a stroke of luck, I ended up just opening the tank... and fuel flowed into the filter, out of the tube, yadda yadd yadda

ALL THIS... and it was a blocked freaking gas tank cap.

*sigh*

So kids, no fuel getting to engine? Open the cap and see if that helps!
    Sticky Sam Posts: 76, Reputation: -2

Oct 2, 2009, 10:12 AM

riff42

You may have gone the long way about it but it is useful knowledge to the rest of us.
    The_Libertarian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2011, 06:54 AM
    I have been having a similar problem that grew progressively worse over the past few weeks. It began with my John Deere L110 losing power and almost quitting while I was mowing. Stopping briefly allowed the RPM to climb back to normal. Over a few weeks (I use the machine once a week) the stalling increased and eventually I could only operate the tractor with the choke partially engaged. Finally, yesterday, the engine barely started and it would not keep running. I had previously replaced the fuel filter. To correct the problem, I did the following: Clamped the fuel line. 2. carefully removed the anti-backfire solenoid from the bottom of the float bowl by disconnecting the wire and unscrewing the solenoid. 3. Removed the float bowl, float and needle valve. 4. Tested the anti-backfire solenoid using 12 volts. 5. Cleaned the float bowl, valve and valve seat using brake cleaner (does not leave a residue). 6. Reassembled the valve, float, bowl and solenoid.

The engine started without difficulty and ran flawlessly while I mowed my 1.2 acres.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air- fuel ratio of petrol engine [ 3 Answers ]

Hai everybody, I have a doubt... How the air - fuel ratio of petrol engine is measured.. By volume or by weight.. hy..

No fuel to engine [ 1 Answers ]

Replaced fuel line on Weedeater Featherlight Plus model, and now when I press the bulb to prime it, no gas comes into the line. Took bulb off and it is good. Checked lines and all appear to be sound. One line is smaller than the other and shorter. Other line is larger with small plastic...

16.5 HP Briggs and Stratton OHV no fuel to engine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old Sears mower with a Briggs and Stratton 16HP OHV engine. Last week it started blowing tons of white smoke and stopped running. After some research I decided to change the head gasket and generally clean up the engine. Changed the gasket - no problem, cleaned the bypass valve,...

No fuel to engine [ 13 Answers ]

I have a 91 honda civic. I bought it and it had been sitting for about 4 years. I have changed the fuel pump relay and then the fuel pump,and filter but it still will not start. I took the fuel line loose from the fuel filter and there is no fuel getting to the fuel filter when turning the engine...

My engine cranks but no fuel. 92 civic dx [ 2 Answers ]

When I got home last night I took out my key and car was still running. I tried to put the key back in and take it out the car did not stop. I placed it in gear and let the clutch turn it off. Next day I found out when the key is out I press my hazard switch and the car turns off. When I was going...

View more questions Search