Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    markadelaide Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2011, 12:21 AM
    I need to elevate my toilet to gravity feed to sewer
    Due to my block being set down from the road our house is going to be built too low for gravity drain into sewer. I am happy to run all grey water (shower/washing machine etc.) into tank and use for gardens etc. But toilet is a problem, we have three options 1.) sewer pump, don't want the expense but more importantly don't want the ongoing maintenance 2.) two storey with no toilet downstairs, not my favourite idea as will mean guests heading upstairs for bathroom, 3.) split level with raised floor, all indications are this will cost an arm and a leg.
    My idea is to elevate the bathroom/toilet area only, either by slab or just a wood floor with void to slab, does anyone know of a good way to overcome this problem or potential pitfalls for my suggested solution?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 28, 2011, 03:20 AM
    What's the elevation difference ?

I think sewer ejector system would work for you just fine. It may not be as expensive as you may think. You can get complete system for around $500.00. Milo
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 28, 2011, 08:10 AM
    Better check with your local code about dumping your gray water on the ground. It's illegal in my area. Besides, I didn't hear a word about a grease trap or were you simply Discharge All the grease from the kitchen along with any chemicals from the washer directly into the ground raw?
    The way I see it, if you want a first floor bath room, not much sense in simply installing a toilet you're going to hafta:
    1. Raise the floor so many inches to guarantee a 1/4" slope all the way out to the city sewer.
    2, Do as Milo suggested and install a ejector system,(see image)
    Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

markadelaide Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2011, 09:02 PM
    Thanks for your help guys, I had done a little research into sewer ejectors myself, I think is a viable option, you guys seem to know what you are talking about but when I talk to my builder or a plumber i.e.. Reece, or even saniflo who make systems, I feel like I am the smartest guy in the roof, not good since I know nothing about this. Saniflo tried to talk me out of buying their product and going to a septic tank, reece bounced me around from department to department, eventually they recommended sticking with the underground pump as the saniflo is not really designed for a whole house and I would probably need a couple of systems therefore costing about as much as underground and not being as good since the saniflo is a domestic grade where the underground pump would be a commercial grade system. They have also said approx. $4000 for a saniflo system where I have seen some systems online at about $500 as you suggested. I am sure there is a solution here but I can't get my builder or suppliers to think outside the square box they live in
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 29, 2011, 07:54 AM
    What have I miussed? When did we go from a toilet in the basement to a whole housed system? And who attempted to talk you out of a $500 Ejector System into a big bucks septic tank and drain field.
    How it should go is this.
    Your plumber plumbs your upper floors in the usual way but elevates the house main leaving the house to give you 1/8th of a inch slope out to the city main. That takes care of everything but the basement. The house main will be elevated and run along the basement wall. So much for the rest of the house.
    Now, you wanted a basement toilet. I opt for a bath room group consisting of a toilet, vanity and shower(see image) this group to discharge into a Saniflow system that will discharge into the house main. Now, you have a bathroom instead of just a toilet in your basement. Sound like a plan?
    Let me know what you think. Cheers, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old Gravity Toilet? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently replaced a wax ring on an old top tank toilet. The bowl sits about four feet lower than the upper tank, After running around town for hours I realized that the specific gasket that I needed was not being made (or not available). I made my own to connect the flush pipe from the tank to...

Can I add any pressure assisted tank to a gravity toilet bowl? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I add any pressure assisted toilet tank to any gravity toilet bowl? Will the drain hole and bolt holes line up?

Can an overflow in toilet blow the feed line? [ 1 Answers ]

Can a toilet overflow due to overstuffing cause the feed line to break within the wall? Or would a broken feed line within the wall cause the toilet to overflow?

Gravity feed [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I had to empty my header tank after refill the bathroom sink and toilet cistern are not working, I know this is gravity feed and I have checked that the cut off valve which is definitely open. I have also disconnected the pipe at the header tank and blew down it water came out but when I connect...

View more questions Search