Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lpayne33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2011, 04:49 PM
    What are the pros and cons of a floating garage floors vs monolithic garage floors?
    What are the pros and cons of a floating garage floor vs monolithic garage floor?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2011, 06:54 PM
    Most of your choices regarding the type of floor depends on the temperature of the environment. A garage floor differs little from a residential floor except perhaps in loading from cars or trucks. In the south and west, with little ground freeze, monolithic(turn down) floors are very common and most often used on smaller homes. I build Habitat for Humanity homes in Atlanta and they are all turn down. A garage may be floating with these since there is usually a grade change. Floating floors allow a little movement so there may be less cracking. How big is the garage and is it attached to the house?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Epoxy paint for garage floors [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 800 square foot garage floor that I plan to put Epoxy paint on. I am thinking of using the Sherwin Williams brand but am not sure. I would appreciate other people's professional opinion that have done this type of work. Could you tell me what has worked for you and what has the best...

Soft, flexing floating hardwood floors [ 1 Answers ]

We are in the process of having renovations done to our apartment and have had a contractor install new hardwood floors. The subfloor is a concrete slab and the floors were installed by floating them over a moistrue/sound barrier. In many places the floor are "soft" or move under our feet. I...

Laying new tile floors left mess on my wood floors [ 1 Answers ]

I had my wood floors removed from my kitchen and new tile laid. Unfortunately, there is mastic residue on the wood floors remaining in my family room. They are Bruce hardwoods a about 12 years old. How can I clean them?

Painting Garage Floors [ 1 Answers ]

I bought an epoxy garage floor kit from Home Depot. No problem there. I was talking to the home depot guy and I was telling the home depot guy about the cracks and divets in my garage floor. He recommended Dap Concrete 3.0 sealant. He said it would fill the voids, divets, etc. So I used it...

Floating Engineered Floors [ 2 Answers ]

In August I had engineered floors installed over cement (radient heat). The floor was a floating floor with a cushion installed between the cement and the flooring. Recently I've noticed that the planks have separated in 2 or 3 locations slightly. It appears that they have separated the toung and...

View more questions Search