Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidsong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 01:02 PM
    How to renew French passport in U.S.A.
    My French passport will be expired in two months. What kind of document should I bring to French Embassy. How long it will take for processing. How much it will cost for renewing.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 06:32 PM

French citizens residing in the USA who desire renewal of their French passport must appear in person at a French consulate or before an Honorary Consul to apply for renewal.

Old non-machine-readable passports will, when renewed, be replaced with the new machine-readable passports, which takes a processing time of currently about two weeks. The passport for renewal will be returned to the applicant for use until the new passport arrives. In a case of emergency, an old-format passport valid for one year will be issued upon proof of the emergency (airline tickets, etc.).

When applying for renewal of a passport, you will have to present the following documents:

The old passport

Proof of status:
    - green card
    - employment authorization card
    - valid US visa with I-94 (excluding B1/B2)
    - for residents of Bermuda: landing permit or other proof of status

Recent proof of address:
    - rent receipt, electricity or telephone bill, tax return, etc. under
    your name or spouse's name.

For students living on campus, a letter from the University attesting to your address.

For persons without their own means, the following documents are required from the guarantor.
    - electricity or phone bill, rent receipt
    - copy of an official ID with signature
    - letter attesting to the address of the applicant

Two photos which must be;
    - recent, 2 x 2 inch format with the face being 1 inch (25mm) in height, centered full-faced, without head covering, on a white or light gray background.
    The photos will be trimmed to the 35mm x 45mm format at the time the passport is produced.

If the passport to be renewed expired more than two years ago, one of the following proofs of French nationality is required:
    - valid French national identity card
    - certificate of French nationality
    - declaration of acquisition of French nationality
    - naturalization certificate
    - long-form copy of birth certificate for persons born in France, of whom one parent was also born in France.

You can request that the new passport is delivered by mail; in this case, a postage prepayed (certified or FedEx) envelope must be left at the time of application.

Besides the numerous French Honorary Consuls in many towns and cites all over the United States, There are French Consulates in the following U.S. cities:

Atlanta
    http://www.consulfrance-atlanta.org/

Boston
    Consulat Général de France à Boston

Chicago
    Consulat Général de France à Chicago

Houston
    Consulat Général de France à Houston

Los Angeles
    Consulat Général de France à Los Angeles

Miami
    Consulat Général de France à Miami

New Orleans
    Consulat Général de France à la Nouvelle-Orléans

New York
    Consulat général de France à New York

San Francisco
    Consulat Général de France à San Francisco

Washington, DC
    http://www.consulfrance-washington.org/

In case of any difficulties, please contact your nearest Consulate for advice.
    cheryllnana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2011, 06:35 PM
    I live in London and my French passport expires in 2 months. Please where and what do I do to get it renewed? Which document do I need and can I send them via post? Thks. Avril.
    cheryllnana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2011, 06:43 PM
    I live in London and my French passport expires in 2 months. Please where and what do I do to get it renewed? Which document do I need and can I send them via post? Thks. Avril.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Aug 25, 2011, 07:00 AM
    Have a look at the website of the Consulate in London:
    http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/-Passeport-

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can I do to renew my Passport [ 2 Answers ]

I used to renew my Passport at Consulate Portuguese in London but last month I found the doors are closed at all the time and no one is allowed to go inside, I ring to the Consulate many times but no answer. My Passport expired two month ago. Can I send my old Passport to the Consulate by post,...

I need to renew my Potuguese Passport [ 1 Answers ]

I live in London and need to renew my Potuguese Passport. How do I go about this and how much does it cost ? Thanks Ryan

View more questions Search