Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GoDuke Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2011, 11:44 AM
    Bugs on my dog
    Does anyone know of any other bugs besides fleas,ticks or bed bugs that get on dogs? My dog was chewing at her front legs.When I checked her out,there were bunches of tiny blackish bugs all over her leg. I pick one or two off and they are sort of hard, not a flea, bigger than a flea. I sprayed some over the counter flea and tick spray on her. That seemed to kill some of them. There were so many of them. What are these things? She is an inside/outside dog. I live in the country so I just let her out as she needs to go.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 24, 2011, 11:53 AM
    I too asked about small black bugs stuck in my dog's snout hair, and no one knew. But one application of Frontline or Advantage on the back of a dog's neck will kill all bugs. I don't apply it every month, even in the summer, because it's expensive and I also prefer to go a little easy on the stuff, which drives my dog crazy. He slides all over the grass and rugs trying to get rid of it.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Aug 24, 2011, 11:59 AM
    What part of the world do you live in? It can help figure out what they are.

Do they appear to be biting her or just running around?

Can you post a picture of one?

Two resources for identifying bugs can be a local exterminator's office or agriculture extension office.

Aug 24, 2011, 12:08 PM
    I live in central North Carolina. I really am not sure if they are biting or only moving around. Its irritating her, because she keeps chewing at where they are. If I can get her back in the house I will get a picture.Shes mad at me because of the spray.That did kill a bunch of them,but there is more.By the way, I have a lot of woods and pine trees all around, but never seen this bugs on my dog before,my other dog doesn't have any on him.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 24, 2011, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    He slides all over the grass and rugs trying to get rid of it.
    It's not the Frontline he's trying to get rid of. When you apply the Frontline, that upsets the bugs/fleas who then become very active as they try to jump ship. The dog (or cat) rolls around as the critters become active and "tickle" him and drive him crazy.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Aug 24, 2011, 04:11 PM
    I too live in NC, there tend to be areas in our state where dogs pick what are typically called seed ticks. They are tiny and round, larger than a flea and smaller than a deer tick, usually darker than the ticks you normally see. And more often than not when you see a few there are MANY. Is it possible that this is what you are seeing? They do attach and do feed on blood, but they detach fairly easily, You can literally detach them simply by flicking them with your fingernail.
    Frontline is very effective against ticks.
    Try detaching one and mashing it, just as with other ticks, if it is engorged with blood you will get the typical "pop" and see the blood.
    Pretty gross,yeah! But it is one way of finding out.
    By all means try to get the picture.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 24, 2011, 04:16 PM
    You took the words out of my mouth LS. I tried looking up "types of ticks" and "tick names" but couldn't find them anywhere, I was starting to think I imagined them!

We get them here in my neck of the woods as well.
    Marriage Expert

Aug 24, 2011, 04:16 PM
    I checked with my husband to see if a hunch might be something to check out.

They could be 'seed' ticks. Seed ticks are nymphs instead of adults and can be found in huge numbers where they hatched out. Treat her like you would a tick infestation with an insecticidal soap, such as Dawn or Ivory, and dip. Go over her and very carefully remove any survivors. If they have latched on, make certain you get the head.

As for why your other dog isn't having the same issue, she probably went through the patch where the eggs hatched the other one didn't.

Good luck.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Aug 24, 2011, 04:50 PM
    LOL, Strange how the same thought occurred to us all at the same time.
    Marriage Expert

Aug 24, 2011, 05:35 PM
    I think it is living in North Carolina. :)
    Dogs Expert

Aug 25, 2011, 04:51 AM
    Cat... ahem!!

Aug 25, 2011, 11:25 AM
    OK, everyone... Thank you for all of the help. I have been around dogs for years,and I know what fleas and ticks are, without a doubt. Although, you guys may be correct about a "seed tick." Then again.. These varmits
    Are or were not attatched,very slow little %@#*%! And hard "shelled".. Well anyway.. there is no sign of those things today.Havent seen not ONE! Weird. Does anyone have a pic of a "seed tick?"
    Dogs Expert

Aug 25, 2011, 11:29 AM
    Here is the best one I could find.

Google Images

Aug 25, 2011, 11:29 AM
    By the way {sorry} I use frontline monthly. And I really don't think these were attached.. Although you did say seed ticks remove very easily... so,maybe when I was checking her out I removed some.. I really am doubtful on this.. My vet is closed today... UGH!
    Dogs Expert

Aug 25, 2011, 11:31 AM
    Well if you ever figure out what they were, please come back and update us! We would love to know.
    marieliz416 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2016, 09:21 PM
    Last night I looked at one of my three little Papillons fur and skin, trying to find an answer to what has been making them all itch like mad, even though they are wearing flea and tick 7 month collars. I found a tiny little thing like a weevil or something. Under a household magnifying glass extra high powered bullet, the little thing looked like a tiny brown beetle. Not the shape of a tick, flea, bed but or anything like that, just a tiny looking brown beetle with that appearance of the wings on it's back and legs for running, etc. only the things was almost as tiny as a flea. Since I only found one (although I didn't continue hunting for them since it was very late) I can't be sure that that's a culprit and not just a fluke, but it was right in an itchy area so I had to assume it was implicated.

If anyone is seeing these little beetly things, let us all know. I wonder if it could be something knew that's been introduced to this country recently through travel and commerce.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bugs on Dog- [ 11 Answers ]

I found some bugs on my dog this morning while scratching him down by his tail. (He can't reach there and is always biting himself.) I found one of these before while trimming his fur. But it was only one. They are really hard to get ahold of. They run fast and won't die. I don't know what they...

Brown bugs on dog [ 1 Answers ]

I just found some weird bug on my dog too... doesn't look like a flea; it's lighter and doesn't jump, but around the same size as one. It could be a mite, but she isn't overly itchy. It's definitely not a tick... anything else??

Tiny little brownish bugs on my dog [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone know what kind of bugs besides Fleas or ticks that could get on my dog? I know that sounds stupid but I found a bug well 3 on my dog. It looks like what you would get in your flour in the house like a weevil but when I look at what a weevil looks like that is not it. How should...

Dog Eats twigs, bugs, and bird poop [ 2 Answers ]

Hello out there, I am having a hard time running with my blue heeler, she wants to stop and eat twigs off the sidewalk and grass, she chews and swallows it. Loves, ashes from the fire pit, and eats bugs and other things in the grass, and love goose poop. Is this OK? Should I try harder to...

View more questions Search