Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    empotter1964 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2011, 03:26 PM
    Small black bugs on counter and in dry ingredients
    I have some small black bugs on my kitchen counter that seem to be attracted to oil and sweets, as well as dry ingredients. They are about the size of a grain of coffee, and they have a bit of a hardened shell. They don't seem to fly, just crawl. Someone suggested using bay leaves, but this has done nothing at all to get rid of them. What can I do? They are driving me crazy! Thank you for any assistance you can give me.
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2011, 03:33 PM
    This pantry and stored food pests resource, provided by the University of Minnesota Cooperative Extension, is very extensive, and even provides diagrams of the possible culprit.

Please give us additional bug description, if this resource does not help.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 22, 2011, 05:41 PM
    Sounds like they could be Flour Beetles. Do a search on them and you'll probably see many ways to get rid of them. The most common thing is to remove their food source.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2011, 08:22 PM
    You can actually bring these tiny bugs home inside boxes of pasta and other type starchy foods. There are many times when I don't even open a box of say spaghetti strings and the little bugs are happily running around inside the box. They lay their eggs and actually feed off the package's contents until you let them loose inside your kitchen by opening up the box and not immediately using all the contents of the noodle box. I always repackage my pasta into a tin can or put inside a gallon baggie to keep any bugs already running around my kitchen from getting any free snacks. Those hard shell guys are the worst. Harmless though even if ingested (which I did once) and I was fine.

Can't tell you how many boxes of spaghetti strings or elbow macaronis I've found these bugs in. I used to just throw the entire box out in the junk. Now I just cook them up and give the noodles to my coonies, skunks or possums that I feed (they don't know the difference and just gobble them down).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Little black bugs [ 0 Answers ]

Over the last few days I have been getting little bites all over my stomach, back and arms I have realised they are tiny tiny little black bugs and are on a few items of my clothing they are not fleas and not bed bugs, I think I may of seen them before outside on plants does anyone know what these...

Small bugs in kitchen [ 0 Answers ]

Only this year I've started to see these extremely tiny brown "bugs" and only on my counters. After I wipe/clean off and dry the counter, they seem to disappear for a quite a number of weeks. When I do find them suddenly, they seem to come in large numbers and move relatively fast for their...

Little black biting bugs [ 1 Answers ]

We have little black dots all over our house and they are like biting us and itching they are not fleas and in our dogs water dish we find a clear like mucuse no matter how often we change the water,had the dog checked out and she has no fleas or any thing like that but it looks like her skin is...

Invisable small black flying bugs [ 1 Answers ]

I have some kind of invisable bug in my frontroom. It stays in the frontroom and does not go into the other rooms. It comes out in the evening. When you get it wet it is black. We put them in a bowl of vinegar and they turn orange. We have been trying for months to get rid of it and nothing has...

Very very small black or white bugs in house [ 2 Answers ]

I have little black or white bugs in mine and my sisters bedroom, first they were all by the window so I shut my window and now they are everywhere. We have both cleaned our rooms top to bottom but still they are their. We have tried bleech, viniger, polish everything. I have run out of ideas....

View more questions Search