Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abtcj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2010, 02:08 PM
    How do I wire up my new air conditioner condenser fan motor?
    I just purchased a "universal" replacement motor for my condenser fan motor. The bearings are starting to go out on the old fan and periodically they scream for about a minute when the a/c starts. The old motor had only 3 wires, black, brown, and orange. The black is connected to a brown box with 6 wires already connected to it, I believe this is a contactor, just a guess. The brown and orange are connected to different connectors on 2 of 3 prongs of a capacitor. The new has 5 wires... brown, brown/wht stripe, black, red, and white. The motor shows a wiring diagram for replacing 4 and 3 wire motors. On both diagrams the red wire appears to be connected to nothing, there is a line labeled RED LOW that goes to a small circle. For the 3 wire diagram it also shows a line labeled brown/wht that goes to a circle, again goes to nowhere. The black goes to a circle labeled HI, there is a line on the other circle that with an arrow at the end pointing to the top of the digram, this line is labeled "LINE"(?). The white wire goes to one side of a capacitor and the brown to another tab on the same capicitor. The drawing also indictes a leg coming off the white tha goes somewhere? The afore mentioned arrow points at this leg. Should a connect the new black to the same location as the old black... run the white to where the old orane use to go... run the brown to where the old brown use to go... and cap and tape off the brown/wht and red? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2010, 03:35 PM

Can't give an exact answer, but I think the red is not needed unless you need a lower speed.
    The White May not be needed.
    It is possible 2 wires are swapped to reverse direction. Is that on the diagram?
    abtcj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2010, 06:49 PM

Actually there is a couple of other leads that come out of the motor and just by simply reversing a plug one would change the rotation. On the wiring diagram on the side of the motor I have fairly surely reasoned that the red lead is for a low speed hook up. My condenser just has one speed capability, but I am sure this motor is set-up so that it may be run in 2 speeds. That is why I believe the red wire has no purpose in my application. Any other help would be appreciated.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2010, 07:40 PM

Your first post is a bit confusing, but let me attempt to shine some light, but not deceifer.

1. Since the new motor is 2 speed, loose a wire when replacing a one speed motor.

Note on 3 and 4 wire motors. With a 4 wire motor, 2 wires go to the SAME place. 3 wire motors cost a few pennies less.

The 4 wire motor is seemingly easy. 2 wires are line. 2 wires are the capacitor.

The 3 wire motor, one of the wires is (LINE and Cap), the other is Cap, and the third is the speed.

The LINE & CAP wires are brought out separately in the 4 wire motor.

What confuses things even more is that the compressor and the fan both need capacitors. It's cheaper for the OEM to use a dual capacitor and easier for the service tech to use two separate ones.
    michael12._3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2011, 09:56 AM
    I have a GE Commercial motor that is the model of 5KCP39FGM599S,HP1/4.v208-230,rpm1075 it has four colors yellow, brown with white strip and brown,black I need to know where to connect the wires
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2011, 09:59 AM
    May be a diagram on the Motor, brown and brown/white may be for capacitor?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I wire up my new AC condenser fan motor? [ 7 Answers ]

My new AC condenser fan motor has an extra wire. What do I do with it? AC is a 1996 SEER 12 Rheem. New motor is an A.O. Smith 1/8 HP 208 RPM 208-230 volt. Old motor has 3 wires, black, brown, and orange. New motor has 4. Black, brown, orange, and brown with a white stripe. Does anybody...

How do I wire a new condenser fan motor [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Trane unit with GE condenser fan motor number 5kcp39fg. New condennser fan motor is A.O. Smith number F48k92A01. My question is on the old fan motor there were only 3 wires two for cap and looks like 1 for motor line and the new motor has a brown and brown/white for cap a black for line...

Wiring a four wire air condenser fan motor [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing an old GE motor, fan blade, and capacitor, three wires. The new motor is a AO Smith. With four wires. Tan, tan-white, yellow, and black. I am going to wire up as a three wire connection, as follows, tan-white to the capacitor, (two prong) then, the yellow to the capacitor, ( four...

How do I wire up a new condenser fan motor [ 5 Answers ]

The old condenser fan motor (EMERSON model # is K48HXFCN-3727,HP-1/8,v 208-230,rpm 1075with 3mfd 370vac dual capacitor) is making a noise.When I got a new one (EMERSON model#is K48HXTMG-4003 HP-1/8,v208-230,rpm1075 come with 5.0mfd 370vac capacitor). I am confused, I need help trying to do the...

Need to Replace GE Fan Motor for outside York air conditioner air conditioner [ 2 Answers ]

The motor model number is 5KCP39EG IT IS A HP 1/4, VOLT 208/230, rpm 1075, hz 60-50 pHASE 1. Are they making this motor anywhere? If so where? Thanks

View more questions Search