Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ritar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2011, 07:59 AM
    How to replace main beam of house?
    I own a ranch style home with a daylight basement. There has been some sagging in the floors upstairs that seems to be getting worse over the years. In the basement there is a 10 foot section of the main wall removed to allow heat from the wood stove to circulate and open up the space. The sagging of the floor is within that area. So I had a contractor come and check it out. He cut away a section of drywall under the main beam and we found that is not even a beam, but a bunch of 2 x 8 (just guessing)boards probably nailed together. One board was cracked right were he cut the drywall and I am sure there are more failing spots we have not seen yet. I am really scared of what else we will find.
    I know we have to replace this part of the main support of the house by jacking up the floors and putting an actual beam in. My question is how did this pass inspection when the house was built? Or was this common practice and allowed in 1978? Will the rest of the house be okay?
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Aug 19, 2011, 08:24 AM
    This was a common practice with a lot builders back in the day. I believe the codes have changed enough so today's builders wouldn't do this. If you have other areas in your house with long spans they probably have the same situation.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2011, 01:29 PM
    Might have been done after the Certificate of Occupancy Inspection (COI). Not uncommon for people to want something done that isn't code, wait for the COI and then go back and change things. You'll need to set up some temporary supports under the floor, pull out the damaged beam and then rebuild.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to replace a 6m long sill beam on 200yr German Fachwerk House, ideas? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replaceing a 6m sill beam in a 200 yr old Fachwerk House (in Germany). Currently I'm repairing the stand stone foundation so that it's securely in place before the sill job gets underway. I've been told I can replace the wooden beam with a concrete poured beam any ideas?

Beam size to replace load-bearing wall [ 13 Answers ]

Okay, I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trouble to open up a room in my basement. It is currently a 16 ft wide wall with a single doorway in it. It is a load-bearing wall. I'd like to open up the doorway to about 10'6" width. The wall supports the floor above, and there is another...

Main support beam in house [ 1 Answers ]

My floor has a 1"crown due to old cinderblock support under main beam in basement. I've set 2 new jacks in place (rated) for 15,000 lbseach, and want to knock out cinderblocks, hoping to correct crown in livingroom floor so I can install laminate . I have one jack on either side of the cinderblock...

Sizing a beam to replace load bearing wall. [ 3 Answers ]

I am planning on removing 15' of a 2x6 load bearing wall in my basement and want to confirm the sizing of the steel beam. I had an engineer have a look, but the only engineer available is a semi-retired fellow who sized the beam in exchange for having a couple of beers with him in the process. ...

Need to know how to Replace a termite damaged beam in basement. [ 2 Answers ]

Need to know how to remove a damaged termite damaged beam in basement wall stud.

View more questions Search