Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lavinia 101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2011, 08:18 PM
    Can a drug addict husband entitled for an alimony?
    My husband is a drug addictand has been in and out of rehab. We will be celebrating our 1st year wedding anniverasy next month. Since we got married he was only sober for 9 months. Lately, he has been in and out of rehab. He lost his job because of his behavior changes and is getting unemployment benefits. We don't have kids. I want a divorce. I have a substantial income, do you think I will be paying alimony to him? I don't want to pay alimony because its not fair.

Thanks
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 6, 2011, 10:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lavinia 101 View Post
    My husband is a drug addictand has been in and out of rehab. we will be celebrating our 1st year wedding anniverasy next month. Since we got married he was only sober for 9 months. Lately, he has been in and out of rehab. he lost his job because of his behavior changes and is getting unemployment benefits. we dont ahev kids. I want a divorce. I have a substantial income, do u think I will be paying alimony to him? I dont wnat to pay alimony coz its not fair.

Thanks
    LOL-I do not think he will be awarded with alimony/spousal support. Your marriage is too short but... who knows.
    If you live in Texas, there is statutes where it is stated that a person may be entitled to alimony if s/he was married at least ten years.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 7, 2011, 02:21 AM

Even if temporary support of some kind is ordered it wouldn't last for a longer period then the marriage in a case like this. As has been said long term marriages (defined as 10 years or more) are of a different standing when it comes to those issues. Under that time limit most support would end at 1/2 the length of the marriage. Because of his condition they may just ask that you continue him on your health insurance for a period and then your done with it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 7, 2011, 04:50 AM

First, ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

As noted, support may be ordered but it will be limited.

If you have a substantial income, then hire an attorney. But whatever possessed you to marry this person in the first place?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 7, 2011, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    ... If you have a substantial income, then hire an attorney. ...
    The attorney will file for divorce and I don't expect that the divorce petition will propose alimony. Only if the husband asks for it will be an issue. Chances are, the divorce will be by default.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 7, 2011, 07:52 AM

I agree with only being married a year it is unlikely. And he will have to ask for it, for it to even be considered.

Of course sounding a bit rude, I am sure he must have been like that when you meet and/or dated, so why did you expect anything else

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depressed Angry Horrible Mom of adhd son with drug addict husband! [ 9 Answers ]

My life is past falling apart. Here's the background. My husband was abusive and an addict and gambler when I was pregnant. I left him and became a single mom living at my parents house. Things were OK here, I went back to college to get my degree and worked F/t. I worked really early to get...

How can I leave my drug addict Husband? [ 6 Answers ]

I feel stupid. i've been married 4 years but it seems longer. My husband is a drug user. Every time i get paid, he goes into my account and takes money. He pretends he is going to change and uses me every time he has no money, place to stay or eat. i've tried to kick him out but the law says we...

Drug addict husband shows no remorse. [ 14 Answers ]

My husband and I have been separated the last few months due to his continued drug use (heroin/opiates). He's been to several re-habs and has proved that he can get and stay clean in a controlled environment but never stays clean once he's out. I'm so mad at myself for always believing in him and...

Husband is a sex and drug addict [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone can tell me why addicts are so freaking selfish? My (soon to be ex) husband is a meth/coke crack addict (smokes it) and apparently a sex addict. I recently found out he was screwing around on me before we were even married a year. (and I had no clue as we worked opposite...

Can a cheating spouse be entitled to alimony [ 2 Answers ]

Can a cheating spouse be entitled to alimony? She has left her husband and now lives with another man but wants alimony. She has abandoned her home and 16 year old son.

View more questions Search