Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michael bowles Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2011, 08:36 PM
    Inheriting Money from Another Country?
    Hello my name is Mike I have a legal question to ask you I am inheriting some money from a foreign country and the attorney that I am asking to handle this matter for me is asking for money up front is this right or can I sign a document saying that he will be paid when the money is in my account now the problem I'm having is in a foreign country in a foreign lawyer and the money should be sent back to United States is there a document that I can signso he can receive the money before it's sent to me I would appreciate your help thank you
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 4, 2011, 10:21 PM
    First of all, never post your email on a public board like this.
    Second, chances are you are being scammed and aren't inheriting anything. Please tell us who you know who left you money. THIS IS A VERY COMMON SCAM. DO NOT GIVE ANYONE ANY MONEY.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 4, 2011, 10:28 PM
    This screams SCAM!!

Not legitimate inheritance would require the payment of any kind of fee to release funds..

This is classic 419 territory..

Aug 4, 2011, 11:05 PM
    I am a concerned customer looking for answers thank you
    Mr.Joypulv#3426 thank you for your response the person that left me the money was Richard Bowles an old family member of mine also the attorney that has contacted me from this foreign country has really sent me his credentials a certificate of his bar and the bank has confirmed that the money is in this account and yes you are right I am suspicious about this I do know Richard Bowles but I do not believe he would leave me this kind of money I have seen the bank certificate showing that this money is in the bank but I'm just like you why pay for money that is yours supposedly the country for sending this to me is from Nigeria but he has not asked for a drivers license or so security number so if you could respond to this I would appreciate it I have to I have contacted the attorney and told him that if his legit then why are you asking for money when you can get it on the settlement is done I'm waiting for his response please respond to this new e-mail thank you
    BossMan

Aug 4, 2011, 11:52 PM
    the country for sending this to me is from Nigeria
    Complete and utter SCAM!!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 5, 2011, 06:29 AM

If this was legit you would simply authorize the agent in Nigeria (why is it ALWAYS Nigeria in these scams?) to withhold some of the money that's already in the account and forward the remainder to you - no need for you to send cash.

Aug 5, 2011, 06:32 AM
    To whom it may concern
    here is a letter to attorney has written a former foreign country nigeria on my behalf i have inherited some money and he is trying to charge me $4500 to process the paperwork after that he says he'll take out for the settlement i am confused why you pay money to get back my own money i am enclosing a copy of this letter he sent me can someone please help me thank you
    i hereby duly acknowledge the receipt of your email mail in acknowledgement of the information forwarded to you yesterday for confirmation of my authority. You are free to call at that time for any question or clarification.

the fee (us$4550) is not for my personal/family use or my service charge rather is strictly for the purpose of the procurement of all your claim document as requested by the bank in certification of your application for the claim of your inheritance fund value of us$5.5m.these documents must go through administrative protocols to be perfected and accepted by the bank legal unit after proper verification of authenticity. I will advice you come down here and see things yourself than putting my legal directives to question.

i want to remind you that countries policies varies which are all based on its constitution and for a u.s practicing attorney to tell you that the court charges is more for such document is out of the proceedings since we have different governmental policy guiding our operations especially the process of procurement of such highly classified documents and when it has to do with fund of this magnitude. All these documents gives you the legal right to have claim on your inheritance fund. I understand that you were directed by someone to contact me for my services and the person should be in position to have cleared you more on my person that i do not get involved in any thing that will destroy the good name i have made for many years in the nigerian bar association.

meanwhile, you must never forget that i have been committed to this project since the day you contacted me for the purpose of this claim and we have had favorable results in all area that matters. I am willing to put in my very best to ascertain that all the documents are duly perfected without much ado or beauricratic protocols which will be imposed on you by the nigerian government as a non resident / citizen. Let me make reference to the paragraph of your mail where the u.s lawyer said that "THAT LAWYERS WILL GET THE MONEY WHEN THE ACCOUNT GETS SETTLED" yes, i will get settled with my service charges when your inheritance fund finally gets into your bank account, confirmed by you and not the charges required for the procurement of your claim documents which is your duty as the next of kin / beneficiary.

in the days to come, i feel confident that you will persevere in a manner that will result in an instantaneous resolution of this claim only if you would cooperate. The outlook for this claim is brighter since the bank has agreed in approval to accept documentary proof as the next of kin without any counter- claim documents already on mr. richard bowl
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 5, 2011, 06:35 AM
    Did you not read our replies to your other post??
    THIS IS A SCAM. YOU HAVE NOT INHERITED ANY MONEY FROM ANYONE IN NIGERIA.
    Are you greedy as well as naïve?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 5, 2011, 06:40 AM
    Oh man... here we go... YOU ARE BEING SCAMMED! There is NO MONEY other than what they want you to send them for their "fees". DO NOT FALL FOR THIS!
    Entomology Expert

Aug 5, 2011, 06:49 AM
    Oh come on... No money, big SCAM.

Let me guess... they contacted you about the money right? Like they were just able to find your email somehow out of nowhere... I could go on all day about these things but I'm getting tired of seeing stuff like this posted every day here. It's sad how many people seem to be falling for this stuff and it makes no sense to me how anyone does.

YOU ARE BEING SCAMMED. WALK AWAY FROM IT. NO FURTHER COMMUNICATION TO THE "BARRISTER".
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2011, 07:04 AM

Hello m:

I find it interesting that they connected you with someone you actually knew. That's a new twist. But, I think it's a scam nonetheless.

Here's what I would do... Tell this barrister that you'll DOUBLE his fee, but only AFTER the money is in your possession.

excon
    BossMan

Aug 5, 2011, 07:10 AM
    >Threads Merged<

Dude this is a SCAM!!
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2011, 07:26 AM
    Yup scam!!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 5, 2011, 07:50 AM

I find it interesting that this "inheritance" is stated to be for the next of kin, which you are not. It seems your greed is getting in the way of your judgment.
    Entomology Expert

Aug 5, 2011, 08:02 AM
    Here's what I would do... Tell this barrister that you'll DOUBLE his fee, but only AFTER the money is in your possession.
    HAHA! I did that on one bait I did. It was hilarious. I told him I would give him 20% if he would just front the fees until I had the money. They make every excuse in the world as to why that won't work.

Once I even won a car plus cash in a lottery from England. I told them the car wouldn't work for me so they could just sell it off and keep the money as my fees. LOL... It is fun if you're careful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to transfer money from one country to another [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. Is there an easy way to send an amount of more than $100000.00 to south africa from Togo?

Inheriting money from norway [ 1 Answers ]

I have been left some money resulting from a relatives house sale in her will. She was residing in Norway and the money is to be transferred from there. I would like to know all the information the solicitors and bank will require At the moment they are asking for a swift number and for me to have...

Louisiana Law on inheriting money from my deceased brother? [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited money from my deceased brother's will. I'm on disablity and I would like to know if this money would jeopardize my disability income? I'm 75 years old. I no longer file income taxes... would I have to because of this money? It's less than 50,000. Would I have to pay inheritance...

View more questions Search