Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greeney74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2011, 09:41 AM
    Dog has pain in leg?
    My Dog is 12 yrs old lab/golden retriver and is limping on his right back leg, when he tries to stand up it is like the right leg is hurting him, he is not crying with pain, just limping. I give him medication for arthritis. Was wondering if I could give him asprin or tylenol?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2011, 09:42 AM

NEVER give a dog anything other than aspirin - NEVER! Tylenol - and similar products - are extremely toxic to dogs.

For that matter it is not a good idea to medicate any animal without consulting with a Vet.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 31, 2011, 10:16 AM
    Limping could be anything from injury, to a damaged tendon or ligament, to arthritis, no sure way of knowing with having him checked out by your vet.
    Try checking his toenails to see if one may be cracked or broken, and in between the toes and the pads of his foot, just to check and see if there may be a cut or something stuck in the foot somewhere also.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jul 31, 2011, 10:47 PM
    A common large dog injury to a back leg is an injury to a ligament in the knee. That he is still at least partially using it suggests, if it is a knee ligament, that it was only partially 'injured', and still has partial integrity remaining.

Pain is Mother Nature's way of saying "Don't use this until I say you can", which is really helpful because it is likely that, without any pain, the animal (or even a person) would continue normal use of the leg and quite probably further injure the knee, SO, NO PAINKILLERS unless/until the vet says so.

Usually, enforced rest is part of the treatment for a knee injury, and then, when his use can be controlled, pain medication is helpful and useful.

BUT, since this is only a partly informed guess, best have the vet pass real judgement on his leg, OK?

Another possibility could be arthritis, as you wonder, but... if we're wrong, then what happens? Again, let the vet decide.
    greeney74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2011, 06:35 AM
    Comment on paleophlatus's post
    Took him to vet this morning. It is Arthritis, She gave him cortisone shot and medications. Thanks for your help
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2011, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paleophlatus View Post
    Pain is Mother Nature's way of saying "Don't use this until I say you can", which is really helpful because it is likely that, without any pain, the animal (or even a person) would continue normal use of the leg and quite probably further injure the knee, SO, NO PAINKILLERS unless/until the vet says so.

Would you take this opportunity to address over the counter "human" medication given to animals?

The entire "non-aspirin" thinking frightens me and, like everyone else, I've heard horror stories.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Aug 1, 2011, 10:24 PM
    http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acetaminophen-toxicity-in-dogs/page1.aspx
    I know you didn't address me with this, but you are so right, it is frightening.
    I totally agree, I may be wrong, but I think the most widely used over the counter drugs are actetaminophen products.
    I searched and searched for a site that had info on the toxic effects, most were very in depth and difficult to read, I did find this one, it is pretty point blank, and explains it much better than I could.
    While no human drugs should be given without consulting a vet, people tend to think a simple Tylenol is Ok. They couldn't be more wrong.
    I did notice though, that it reads that would take 7, 500 mg tablets for a 50 pound dog to have a problem.
    Anyone who has a dog who likes to get "into things" knows that 7 tablets is nothing if the dog has just chewed up the bottle. So I think any amount is a concern, better safe than sorry.
    This line of info would be good for one of those informative little stickies.
    I know I get curious and read many of them, you never know how many people could be informed of these dangers just by stopping in and taking a look.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Constant Left leg pain - starting at the middle of the left buttock & goes down leg [ 6 Answers ]

Any ideas what would cause this condition on a grown man? Constant Left leg pain - starting at the middle of the left buttock & goes down leg. Thanks for helping

Arm pain upper leg pain [ 1 Answers ]

My question is I get arm pain and leg pain consitantly , a year ago I was rear ended I`ve had exrays mri`s and recent EMG my mri`s show l1 l2 turning dark l6/7 have buldging ,have something with my neck going on now too emg didn't show anything and constant lower back pain ,but I`m concerned...

Dog pain in leg and back area [ 3 Answers ]

My dog is having a lot of pain in his leg and back area. He is very vocal and is bitting and is very stiff. His tail is very stiff. My dog is a beagle:rolleyes: :(

Leg pain! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, for about 1 1/2 years I have been have unbearable pain in the back of my calves, and I am in a dance class as one of my subjects in school!! Can anyone give me tips on what type of excercises I should do afterschool and before!! :(

My Dog seems to have leg pain [ 7 Answers ]

I have a nine year old boxer and every now and then he holds his leg up like it's giving him a lot of discomfort. The vet gave him a few pills once that cost over$100.00 but didn't help the problem a bit. I hear it's common in big dogs but I'm wondering if anybody can tell me how to take care of...

View more questions Search