Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    techrec79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Gas Hot Water Heater runs out of water
    I have a 2 year old Gas Hot Water Heater in my house 50 gallon I believe. It runs out of water after about 5 minutes and the water does not seem as hot as it should be (It's turned to 3 on a max scale of 4 on the heater). The pilot light is on. Can you tell me what might cause the hot water to run out so fast. Nothing else is drawing the hot water.

Thanks,

Eric
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 7, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Hi Eric,

Mineral build up comes to mind. Does the heater pop and make noise as it's heating? Running out of water in a gas heater tells us one thing. You are drawing hot water out of the heater faster then the heater can heat the cold water coming in to replace it. Mineral build on the floor of the heater will act as a insulator keeping the heater from operating at full capacity. The solution is to flush your heater on a monthly maintenance schedule.
    If you do not flush,(not drain) your heater on a regular basis it will build up mineral on the bottom of the tank. This mineral could act as insulation and cut back on the ability to heat the water. Let me show you how to flush your heater. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) and some white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). The whole thing shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. You might want to consider cleaning the screens on your areators if you have a high mineral buildup. If thev problem still persists after you have flushed, you will have to drain the heater, remove the boiler drain and go up in the bottom of the tank with a wood or plastic rod, (not metal) and try to break up the mineral and flush it out. Good luck, Tom
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2007, 10:48 AM
    Typically, a water heater that runs out too quickly has a dip tube problem. Either damaged or worn or defective. Another cause could be the t & p leaking from too much pressure or too hot. Check the t & p piping, is it hot? An electric water heater could be a bottom element out also.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Another vote for the dip tube. And no, it is not the heating element since you said it was a gas heater.

Remove the cold water inlet. You should be able to see the flange of a plastic tube inside. No tube, and incoming cold water cuts straight across to the outlet. Berrr!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 13, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Duhh! I agree that the dip tube could be shot. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Water Heater Vent Fan runs constantly [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 75 Gallon Natural Gas State Select Water Heater. Model # PR675NRVTZ. It has a fan on top that vents the gas to the outside. Normally, this fan only runs when the water is being heated. Now, the fan runs constantly eben when the water is not being heated. I do not have the wiring diagram,...

Hot water runs out after 5-10 minutes [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Need some assistance: I have a 30 gallon gas hot water heater about 10 yrs old with copper plumbing and after taking the shower for 5-10 minutes, there is no more hot water. What are some of the possible causes & fix? Thank you, Matt

View more questions Search