Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SHERMIER Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Temperature limit switch
    I have a Trane XR80 furnace, with a self-check flash code system (flashing red light). The furnace has been blowing cold air when turned on, and not heating up. The red light flashes 4 times, indicating that we have an "open Temperature Limit circuit". I believe that this means that our temperature limit switch is not working correctly, or there is some other reason that the limit switch(es) are open, rather than closed. My thoughts are that the switch must be closed in order for the operation to proceed to whatever it takes to heat up the air. I would personally like to change the Temperature limit switch, which looks like a very easy task (according to the photo of the temp limit switch). Am I correct in my evaluation of the problem, and does anyone know How to change the switch?
    Thank you
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2007, 09:40 PM
    Just because a limit switch is open may not mean its bad. It may be open due to lack of air flow - dirty filter, dirt cooling coil (evaporator coil),dirty blower wheel,and so on and so on. Check before you replace it, you may save some money. A limit trips for a reason. Over 90% of the time its doing its job. Give us some more info and let us know how it turns out.
    SHERMIER Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Thank you, T-Top for your answer. We finally just called the company that sold us the furnace. They came out and said that it was the circuit board. He showed me the brown burn spot on the board. When I mentioned that the self diagnostic red switch was blinking 4 times (which means open temp limit circuit), he said that when the circuit board has a probem, it can send any signal, and that it may be an incorrect signal, since the board is malfunctioning. Luckily for us, the system is only 3 years old, and it was, is, still under warranty, so no costs! :-) SO, I guess the lesson learned is to check the circuit board before anything else!
    rmach Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2009, 11:45 AM
    Mine just had the same 4 rapid flashing light on my American standard 1.5 year old furnace. After a quick call to the service tech, he said to tap the back side of the square brown sensor mounting (located just under the burners) with a screwdriver. That did the trick and the furnace is running fine. That sensor will engage if an over-heat condition is present. The excess heat was caused by a dirty air filter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a limit switch? [ 4 Answers ]

When I woke up this AM my heater was blowing cold air and the fan wouldn't turn off. All other gas appliances, etc. worked fine. The indicator light on my furnace shows an open limit switch, but I have no clue where to even look for this. A little help?

Limit Switch [ 2 Answers ]

I Would Just Like To Know Where It Is Located I Have A Evcon Enegry Guide Saver.heater Won't Come On Do To Limit Switch Being Open

What are the temperature settings for a fan limit switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 30+ year old forced air furnace. Currently, when the thermostat is turned up to call for more heat, the burners ignite normally. When the heat exchanger-HE- gets to temperature (which seems to take a long time) the fan switches on normally. HERE'S WHRE THE PROBLEM STARTS The fan...

Limit switch [ 1 Answers ]

What is a "limit switch" for a central heating unit? And is it expensive to replace?

Limit Switch - Pressure Switch [ 0 Answers ]

Hello Folks, This weekend I've been playing with a heating system at my new apartment and I'm trying to figure out what the different componets do. I kind of followed the circuit but still have some missing links... 1-There are some terminals on the furnace's circuit board labeled LIMIT. The...

View more questions Search