Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maxfelker Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2011, 04:43 AM
    1997 GMC Sierra 350 5.7L - Replaced head gasket, engine miss-firing and won't start
    A buddy of mine (a mechanic) and I tore apart my 350 to replace the head gaskets. We were real precise with diagramming on break down and reconnecting on build. However, we are having timing trouble and the engine won't start.

Notes:
    • Valves adjusted
    • Spark plug wire replaced (spark plugs were great)
    • Connected spark plug wires in correct firing order (confirmed on multiple websites)
    • Confirmed Top Dead Center

We believe that it is the distributor. We think that perhaps the rotating interior component is not starting at firing position 1. We are going to remove the cap, re-align the interior component to firing position 1, replace cap, TDC the engine, then turn it over hopefully.

Any ideas, comments, questions are welcome. Please note that wires, connections, etc have all been re-checked and will continue to be until resolved.

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 27, 2011, 05:32 AM

You said that you confirmed TDC but did you confirm that was TDC of the compression stroke and not TDC of the exhaust stroke?

Got to watch the valves.

Did you confirm valve timing?
    maxfelker Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2011, 05:50 AM
    Comment on hkstroud's post
    Yes, we made sure that TDC was on the compression stroke of piston #1. Good answer, thank you!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2011, 06:04 AM

I would replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM), AutoZone DR178, $82.99--super easy job.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 27, 2011, 07:17 AM
    If it ran before you did this work, then it's 99% likely that it won't run because you put something together wrong. Double check vacuum lines, firing order, distributor, all connections. You probably have the distributor out by 180 degrees or something simple like that. I know you said you checked these things but do it again to be sure.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jul 28, 2011, 04:34 AM
    The distributor is in 180 degrees out. Pull the distributor out, reset the engine to TDC , check TDC on distributor, and then set advance to approximately number 1 spark plug.
    Have worked on A LOT of these engines... timing is the key. Don't replace the ignition module,, if it worked before the tear down, it is working now. Good Luck.
    Buy yourself a Haynes Manual (AutoZone). All of the set up is in there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GMC Sierra 1500 truck won't start [ 8 Answers ]

My truck will not start. I have changed the fuel pump and it still won't start. It has spark and turns over but will not start. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be

90 crx hf Has no spark after I replaced Head Gasket? [ 3 Answers ]

It has Voltage at wires going into distributor when ignition is on, but no farther in. I put a test light on fuel injector and while engine was being cranked light was pulsing.. So I thought Igniter Control Module was bad so I replaced that and I have same issue. I can hear main fuse relay click...

1997 Sierra K1500 V8 Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Turn the key, click. Nothing happens. It had been running a few days ago, stopped yesterday. Ignition sometime took up to 10 or more seconds with the key turned all the way until it would start. Headlights work Radio works Cab lights work

View more questions Search