Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tls15 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2011, 05:17 PM
    Oakwood mobile home electrical wiring schematics?
    I have a 1997 Oakwood Double Wide Mobile home that we have lost power to 1/2 of living area, all of master bedroom and all of master bathroom. Have checked all breakers and replaced the one that kept tripping that controls the rooms with no power, but when we reconnect power to the breaker is still trips. We have checked out outlets in the areas with no power and discovered 2 outlets that were burnt on the back. We replaced those, but breaker still trips. Have tested wires from both of those outlets and discovered that one set of wires (both outlets have 2 blacks and 2 whites plus a ground)in one of the outlets is shorted out somewhere between that outlet and the breaker box. I understand that with the way these homes are wired that it's a domino effect and that it has been. All other outlets, lights, and switches show to be good when tested with OHM meter. How can I find out where this bad wire goes to next or get a wiring schematics of the home? Or the name and number of an electrician in the Ellis County, TX area that works on these. Have had no luck in finding one myself. No one seems to know about them that covers this area.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2011, 05:26 PM
    You need to use a circuit tracer to find every outlet on the circuit and then pull all of them out. Is it Aluminum wiring or Copper? Ultimately you will find the outlet that starts the run. There may be a junction box in the circuit, perhaps in the ceiling. Sounds like a possible lightning hit. The breaker will trip with a grounded hot or a connected hot/neutral. Any outlet on the circuit outside? Look there for a short.
    tls15 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2011, 07:17 PM
    We have checked every outlet, light switch and light outlet in the 3 rooms and only found one that shows to have a short. It is copper wiring, not aluminum. Just hit me though when you ask, that there is an outlet on the outside of the home in the same area as the outlet with the short. All outlets but the one show to be good. Just can't seem to determine where the wire that is showing the short goes when it leaves the outlet. Possible that it does go to the outside outlet though. I will check that tomorrow when it gets light again so can see under the house. Have tried pulling the wires out but it seems they are attached to braces or something inside the wall. Wires won't pull, it just starts tearing sheet rock. Thanks!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 18, 2011, 09:15 PM

Remove all non working outlets, switches and light fixture. Separate wires and make sure they are not touching. Set meter to continuity (little horse shoe symbol). Check to make sure meter is working.

Check for continuity between hot and neutral and between hot and ground at each box. If you truly have a short in the wiring, the meter should show continuity at two boxes. The short will be in the wiring between the two boxes.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2011, 12:54 PM
    Mobile homes are wired the same as regular homes, The Romex is nailed to the wall framing and cannot be easily pulled out. If you do find the short, you can drill a couple of holes in the floor plate and run another wire. At least you have underneath access. Situations like this are very costly in slab homes.
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Jul 20, 2011, 05:57 PM
    I read somewhere that some double wide mobile homes use a junction box(es) mounted on the underside of the home to connect one end of the home's electrical power to the next. Could there be a problem here? Is it just one side of the home that isn't working?
    Thanks
    Diane H Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2013, 05:17 PM
    No, they are not wired the same as regular houses. I own one and have worked construction my whole life. I've never seen a more idiotic way of wiring a house than is done routinely in a mobile home. Doublewides are the worst.
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2013, 06:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane H View Post
    No, they are not wired the same as regular houses. I own one and have worked construction my whole life. I've never seen a more idiotic way of wiring a house than is done routinely in a mobile home. Doublewides are the worst.
    Diane note this was posted 1 1/2 years ago. Crossover boxes are problematic if exposed in wet humid areas.

Jan 1, 2013, 07:20 PM
    I understand it was posted a year and a half ago, but others are still reading this so I'm letting them know. I just bought a 1998 Oakwood Doublewide, so I know how this person feels. Also I'm trying to find the plugs that connect both halves of my house. Haven't found them yet.
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2013, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane H View Post
    I understand it was posted a year and a half ago, but others are still reading this so I'm letting them know. I just bought a 1998 Oakwood Doublewide, so I know how this person feels. Also I'm trying to find the plugs that connect both halves of my house. Haven't found them yet.
    If you Google "mobile home crossover plugs " you may find some tips.

Jan 1, 2013, 11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    If you google "mobile home crossover plugs " you may find some tips.
    Tried that, but got nothing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can substandard electrical wiring installation at home produce electrical arching [ 6 Answers ]

Can substandard electrical wiring installation at home produce electrical arching? Then fire?

Wiring a mobile home [ 4 Answers ]

I'm running the service for my trailer and I need some help with it. I have a 200 amp panel in the home and a 200 amp panel on the pole. But the panel on the pole only has one set of lugs on the top of the main breaker. Do I need lugs on the bottom of the panel to put the wire in from the trailer...

Electrical wall heater in single wide mobile home [ 2 Answers ]

One of the single wide mobile homes in the park I supervise has an electrical wall heater and the elctrical bills have been astronomical, due probably to the poor insulation. Another reason, I guess, could be the age of the heater. The HVAC people that work for us told us that there is no...

Mobile Home Electrical Service [ 6 Answers ]

Thgis is a combination electrical/legal guestion. Who is responsible for the service drop in a mobile home park? I live in Pennsylvania and was recently told by a human services agency here that weatherization could not be started on my mobile home until a problem with the main electrical...

View more questions Search